Is this the future of retail ?

Started by upnick, July 12, 2012, 05:33:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

upnick

Hi  All,   

Is this to be the future of retail  just as we are  now used to  online shopping.

World's First Virtual Shopping Store opens in Korea. All the Shelves are in fact LCD Screens. Users Choose their desired items by touching the LCD screen and checkout at the counter in the end to have all their ordered stuff packed in Bags.

port perran

Very interesting.
Can't see it happening in my local model shop just yet though!
I'm sure I'll get used to cream first soon.

OwL

Well it certainly saves messing about queing at the checkouts.

I don't think it will catch on too much though, people like to see things before they buy.......

You wouldn't buy banana's without checking them first would you!

Proud New Owner of Old Warren Traction Maintenance Depot Layout.

http://www.c58lg.co.uk/  http://www.c60pg.co.uk/

MikeDunn

How does it handle a bunch of people in the same aisle, I wonder ?

Or kids ... ?

Mike

Pengi

Quote from: MikeDunn on July 12, 2012, 06:26:20 PM

Or kids ... ?

Mike

Yes - a kid could run up a huge bill through random tapping of the screens!
Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

upnick

Quote from: Pendy on July 12, 2012, 07:42:27 PM
Quote from: MikeDunn on July 12, 2012, 06:26:20 PM

Or kids ... ?

Mike

Yes - a kid could run up a huge bill through random tapping of the screens!

:smiley-laughing: :smiley-laughing: :smiley-laughing:

longbridge

Lousy Idea, no good if you want to find out how much fat, sugar or salt in in the product, could be a lot of obese Koreans getting around.

No doubt the greedy supermarkets in Oz will adopt the idea as it will save them having shelf packers.
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

Newportnobby

I guess it's no different to those who have their shopping delivered by supermarkets. They can'[t see products like fresh fruit and veg but still rely on someone else to bring it to them ::)
When the assistant in my local store asked if I wanted to use the automatic checkout I told her (a) I needed some cashback and (b) she was doing herself out of a job. She looked at me as if I was from another planet (no comments please)

longbridge

I started using those automatic check out thingys a couple of months ago and then asked myself why in the hell am I doing what a checkout chick should be doing ?,  don't know if its the same back home but they have closed so many registers that you have to do it yourself or wait in a mile long cue.
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

scotsoft

I tried those do it yourself tills once - far too much like hard work.

Sprintex

Personally I love the self-checkout - much quicker than queuing and you don't have to put up with the barrage of "do you want stamps/mobile top-ups/etc" questions that seem to be standard these days!  ::)

Paul

Pengi

Quote from: Sprintex on July 12, 2012, 10:50:05 PM
Personally I love the self-checkout - much quicker than queuing and you don't have to put up with the barrage of "do you want stamps/mobile top-ups/etc" questions that seem to be standard these days!  ::)

Paul

I like the self-service for a few items  particularly at my local Tesco Express. When I am doing a big shop at the main Tesco, there are often problems with bagging up the items (e.g. when I bring my own bags) and it is infuriating that you need to get assistance if you are getting a refund on your parking ticket.
Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

MikeDunn

Whenever I get told 'come & use this self-service one here' I just ask when they're being made redundant ... that shuts them up & has started a few thinking better !  :evil:

Guy

Couldn't agree more with you Mike. These self service tills are a cynical move by the big retailers to move the work from their employees (and thus requiring less of them) over to us. If they offered me a discount for doing the supermarket's work for them then I may consider using the self service till. Until that happens (probably more chance of Hell freezing over), I refuse to assist in the loss of jobs.  ::)

longbridge

Things must be different in Oz because you either line up for an do it yourself checkout or line up for you do it for me checkout, I think we spend 10% of our lives standing in line like cows going for slaughter  :evil:
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £25.67
Below Goal: £74.33
Site Currency: GBP
26% 
May Donations