Hattons Pre-Owned Valuations

Started by Bob G, June 24, 2022, 05:24:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob G

I did wonder whether this should be in the Joke of the day section, but some people might think this is a good fixer-upper...

Hattons say:
Dapol   2D-001-008-PO02 N Gauge
Class 33/0 D6561 in BR Green with full yellow ends - Pre-owned - Sold as seen - Very good box
DCC Ready. 18-pin socket
£93

I say: Hmmm. Where is the motor, chassis and electronics that makes this DCC ready? There are not even enough bits to make a dummy, as the bogies would need to have a new chassis block to clip in to.

Am I right to bring this to everyone's attention, or should it be moved to joke of the day, at £93? Perhaps this thread could become as exciting as the much missed EBay madness thread.

Bob

ntpntpntp

I'm prepared to accept everyone makes a male-chicken-up occasionally, maybe they meant to enter £9.30?   Sometimes is worth pointing it out to them.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Bob G

Hattons use EBay as a marker for their prices a lot. I used to buy second hand items from them but they are more and more reflecting EBay market driven prices.
I think they might laugh at £9.30. We shall see...

Ditape

This is normal for Hattons  they also have class 42 split from a set a nonrunner but with a good box for £80 LOL.
Diane Tape

Dr Al

They had a class 20 body for £55 the other day...no mechanicals at all.

But then, it only takes one sucker to buy it and they get success - and I guess if the sucker is happy....then everyone is.

The rest of us will mosey on by.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

bluedepot

Bingley Hall

Quote from: Dr Al on June 24, 2022, 07:58:34 PM
They had a class 20 body for £55 the other day...no mechanicals at all.

But then, it only takes one sucker to buy it and they get success - and I guess if the sucker is happy....then everyone is.

The rest of us will mosey on by.

Cheers,
Alan

They had two very similar 20 class bodies (different numbers) on the same day for £20.

Were those for £20 errors, or was the one for £55? Who knows?

It works both ways - I've snagged quite a few bargains on their site where the price has been much lower than the going rate.

However, we haven't had a good old Hattons lynch mob thread for quite a while, and I wouldn't want to rain on the parade :D

Bigmac

Quote from: Bob G on June 24, 2022, 05:24:17 PM
I did wonder whether this should be in the Joke of the day section, but some people might think this is a good fixer-upper...

Hattons say:
Dapol   2D-001-008-PO02 N Gauge
Class 33/0 D6561 in BR Green with full yellow ends - Pre-owned - Sold as seen - Very good box
DCC Ready. 18-pin socket
£93

I say: Hmmm. Where is the motor, chassis and electronics that makes this DCC ready? There are not even enough bits to make a dummy, as the bogies would need to have a new chassis block to clip in to.

Am I right to bring this to everyone's attention, or should it be moved to joke of the day, at £93? Perhaps this thread could become as exciting as the much missed EBay madness thread.

Bob

the much missed EBay madness thread.

indeed so.
i used to be indecisive...but now i'm not so sure.

kesdrive

Hatton's often have a lot of 'tat' for ridiculous prices. Usually they have 'excellent box'.
That's ok then!

Used to check regularly but have yet to be tempted.

Chris

paulbeckwith

you  always  need  a  good  box     ...  even  if  its  for  the  tat  to  go  in

paul

bluedepot

very occasionally you get something that is a reasonable price... and even rarer a bargain...

but rails ebay second hand stuff is expensive too...but less spectacularly outrageous prices...

tim

Catsick

They probably bought it for a fiver lol
You don't know what you can do what you can't

PLD

Quote from: Bigmac on June 25, 2022, 08:51:12 AM

indeed so.
yup - shame it got high-jacked by one or two individuals with an unhealthy infatuation over (what they considered to be) high prices; but it got so corrupted from its original theme as a result that it had probably run it's course and reached the point it was right to kill it off...  ;)

Bigmac

Quote from: PLD on June 26, 2022, 12:04:37 AM
Quote from: Bigmac on June 25, 2022, 08:51:12 AM

indeed so.
yup - shame it got high-jacked by one or two individuals with an unhealthy infatuation over (what they considered to be) high prices; but it got so corrupted from its original theme as a result that it had probably run it's course and reached the point it was right to kill it off...  ;)

You cant mean it?
i used to be indecisive...but now i'm not so sure.

Kaput

Half the issue with Hatton's pre-owned listings is that a chunk of the product description is just the standard description of a new item with that product code, hence the DCC Ready, Next18 socket line.

They really need to actually use more manually entered information for pre-owned, must cost them a fortune in returns when things need returned because the listing failed to mention half the problems.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations