Overpackaging

Started by stevewalker, January 18, 2022, 03:45:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevewalker

Over in the angry thread, I posted about Dell messing up repairs to my son's laptop. It is now fixed - although the repair guy didn't go to reception at the halls and ask them to buzz his room (as requested) and phoned him instead, but his phone was on do not disturb. He found out later and luckily the guy was still in the area and, although he had no time left to come back and do the repair, he could drop the parts off - which was all my son needed.

Anyway, that's not the point. The new back for the laptop (with the two captive screws that Dell had damaged) arrived in one box, while the six non-captive screws (which he still had from the old back anyway and so didn't need) arrived in six, A5 sized, padded envelopes. One screw to each envelope! Surely they are needed for the back, so why don't they simply have six screws, in a plastic bag, inside the box that back comes in, as standard?

Newportnobby

Quote from: stevewalker on January 18, 2022, 03:45:58 PM
Surely they are needed for the back, so why don't they simply have six screws, in a plastic bag, inside the box that back comes in, as standard?

Because that would be sensible. And please don't call me Shirley.

mickeyflinn

I made an order from Eaglemoss last year, and in order to qualify for free P&P, I bought a couple of Dr Who pin badges as well. These were in stock, so Eaglemoss kindly sent them to me separately as my other item was a pre-order for one of their Space 1999 Eagles. This is what was delivered by DPD;

The pound coin is there for comparison!!!

Don't think they've heard of Jiffy bags.

Steven B

Quote from: stevewalker on January 18, 2022, 03:45:58 PM
Anyway, that's not the point. The new back for the laptop (with the two captive screws that Dell had damaged) arrived in one box, while the six non-captive screws (which he still had from the old back anyway and so didn't need) arrived in six, A5 sized, padded envelopes. One screw to each envelope! Surely they are needed for the back, so why don't they simply have six screws, in a plastic bag, inside the box that back comes in, as standard?

Errrm, because some customers only need a single screw and stocking multiple sized packs of screws isn't cost effective.

Similarly with mail order packaging - postal and courier services generally have a maximum box size within a given price range. As a retailer, using a smaller range of boxes means you order more of each one, saving a few pounds along the way.

Stock a box that size you have a range of goods covered at minimum extra expense.

There's no doubt that using a wider range of box sizes would be better for the environment, but are we as consumers willing to pay for it?

Steven B.

stevewalker

The back, when sent out as a spare, will presumably always have six screws sent with it (with the two captive ones, that is the full complement). Production backs will not be individually packaged, only spares ones, so six screws could be in a bag, inside the box, for all spare backs - even if the spare backs are pre-packed and on the shelves waiting.

If customers need individual screws, it'd likely still be cheaper and easier to send one package with the maximum number of screws that any of their machines needs in one group (8? 10?), rather than differing numbers when requested.

Even if individual screws does make sense, there is none in packaging them all in individual, padded envelopes! Individual plastic bags, in a single envelope, I could understand. How much storage space is taken up by so many padded envelopes anyway?

GAD

There's a little known seller's fact that if you can beggar up a package to make it as difficult as possible for the recipient and courier then you should.

An example. I recently joined the North Eastern Railway Association. I also bought two thin, magazine sized, books. They came in the kind of card envelope used by amazon for similar books. There's a tab to hopefully pull and open the package. The sender had carefully used tape to ensure the tab could not be pulled. Eventually a razor sharp penknife cut a slot, scratching the spine of one of the books in the process to enable me to get the damn things out.

Amazon staff obviously get paid by the size of package sent. So a plain box of garden windmills which could have had the label directly attached, came in a box so big that they'd had to use 10 sqyds of packing paper to stop it rattling about, which it didn't.

thebrighton

The more items you order from Shapeways the smaller the box they use but if you order one small loco they go bigtime!

OffshoreAlan

On the subject of saving the environment, those plastic air-bags shown in post #3 are ideal for packing out the empty space in fridges and freezers to prevent copious inrushes of heat each time you open the door.  Easy to swop them in or out when removing/adding food items.

joe cassidy

Also, stops items being spilt/damaged in case of earthquakes.

dannyboy

I received a parcel from Plaza Japan the other day. The box measured about 15" x 12" x 3" and it was delivered by a courier. Inside the box was a load of newspaper and a cellophane envelope measuring about 6" x 4"  :goggleeyes:. I am sure it would have been easier and cheaper to put the cellophane envelope in a card backed envelope and used ordinary airmail. Still, I got some free stuff for recycling and a couple of disposable mats to go under the cats feeding plates.  :)
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

richmodels

I'm amazed no one has mentioned Hattons and their love of big boxes yet

Although kudos to Hattons, I'm moving shortly and they are good strong boxes for repurposing  :smiley-laughing:
Frequent railway modeller, and infrequent n gauge modelling blogger

Ditape

This is the box Hattons used to send me the dcc chip on top of it,surely a padded envelope would have been more sensible.

Diane Tape

PLD

The only thing of which there is a greater excess than packaging, is web forum threads on the subject of excess packaging ... ;)
This is the most recent previous example...

mickeyflinn

Quote from: PLD on February 03, 2022, 01:20:36 PM
The only thing of which there is a greater excess than packaging, is web forum threads on the subject of excess packaging ... ;)
This is the most recent previous example...

Which loops back to the start of this thread. Your point??

Newportnobby

I received 3 Peco points from Hattons yesterday in a box 10½" x 5½" x 4½"
As Di says, these could have gone in a padded bag and thus through my letter box (they weren't to be signed for). But still, anything to help Hattons keep costs down with standard size boxes blah blah ::)

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations