What's up with RMweb recently?

Started by railsquid, December 23, 2021, 12:27:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tutenkhamunsleeping

There's an RMWeb status page on Facebook for when the lights are out and you want to know if it's just you:
https://www.facebook.com/rmwebupdates/

Woodenhead

It looks like it is a change in webhost - new landing page whilst the site is down CPanel - they are a web hosting company and not the one it was for RMWeb last week.

njee20

Yes I'd always got a Cloudflare error previously.

thebrighton

Their latest server update - "Following the recent issues we are now unfortunately in a disaster recovery position"!

Woodenhead

Quote from: njee20 on March 22, 2022, 12:13:01 PM

It was dediserve that Warners used, CloudFare is a company that provides security for websites against attacks not a web host, it's like a wall.

What we are now able to connect to is possibly the new host, but as the new site is not up and running it is going to their default web page.

Tank

Quote from: thebrighton on March 22, 2022, 12:51:43 PM
Their latest server update - "Following the recent issues we are now unfortunately in a disaster recovery position"!

That's worrying.  I wonder if they've lost the database? :(  If so, hopefully there will be a backup at least.  In any case, good luck to them rebuilding the site.  It will be a stressful time - I know from doing it on the NGF some years back.

njee20

Quote from: Woodenhead on March 22, 2022, 01:00:18 PM
Quote from: njee20 on March 22, 2022, 12:13:01 PM

It was dediserve that Warners used, CloudFare is a company that provides security for websites against attacks not a web host, it's like a wall.

What we are now able to connect to is possibly the new host, but as the new site is not up and running it is going to their default web page.

Correct, but that's because the hosting company (ie Dediserve) were using CloudFlare - and it was returning a 522 error (Connection Timeout). That we're no longer getting a CloudFlare error is indicative, albeit not conclusively, that there is some backend change. CPanel is just a configuration UI, and isn't indicative of any change in the host necessarily. They are not a hosting company, but it's different to what went before!

All links are now returning 404s, so they're obviously trying a DB restoration. I imagine that'll be Herculean! having worked for a few big FinTechs DR was never the top priority, I hope for their sake it works well!

Woodenhead

@njee20 it was the Cpanel that made me think perhaps they are attempting to recover to their new webhost rather than dediserve as I'd not seen that screen before.

But sadly searching Dediserve and Cpanel show they do use it, so it's just updated software with the present host.

Oh well, as we were, and awaiting a phoenix rising from the ashes of the last full backup.

njee20

Yes I think we're agreeing - the presence of CPanel makes me wonder if Dediserve has said - "go on then, you have a go"!

The Q

Quote from: Tank on March 22, 2022, 10:15:31 AM
I know that Andy was looking into a new host when I last spoke with him, and he'd found a new one to transfer to.  It could be that he's bitten the bullet and gone ahead with the transfer.  I imagine it's a MAJOR headache to do, as forums are very complex compared to just a website.

Reading the latest Update on RMWEB server issues, although he doesn't say it, the implications of his words, are that they have gone for the move to another server service.

Some of his words...
"Following the recent issues we are now unfortunately in a disaster recovery position as a consequence of Dediserve's woeful performance and inability to address issues as they were being flagged up. This will take quite a bit of time  (please do not ask me if we're there yet at any point)*"

The Q

A holding page has appeared for RMWEB, so you don't get a 404,With an apology on it  saying they will be back when the migration is completed.

The Q

The holding page has changed to update in progress..

which I think means there is some progress...

Chris Morris

I would guess that RMWeb doesn't make any money for Warners and therefore it isn't a priority.
Working doesn't seem to be the perfect thing for me so I'll continue to play.
Steve Marriott / Ronnie Lane

njee20

One presumes as much, otherwise it's pretty shoddy business practice.

I'm amused they created a Facebook page to update on issues and haven't updated it, although I know it predates this migration.

It has made me realise how often I actually check it!

woodbury22uk

The most recent attempts to monetise the site through extra advertising and Gold Membership seem to have coincided with the steep decline in the speed and reliability of the site. It is a treasure trove of member generated information on the full breadth of railway and model railway subjects, but of little relevance if it is hidden in an underperforming server. Warners might lose patience with it if it cannot breakeven financially, and the loss of the content would leave a massive void.
Mike

Membre AFAN 0196

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations