What's up with RMweb recently?

Started by railsquid, December 23, 2021, 12:27:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

njee20

Yeah keeps crashing for me too. They're teetering on the brink I'd say. They've got a big membership, so can weather some attrition, but if it doesn't improve then people will leave. A week of this is poor, 3 months? C'mon!

Trainfish

John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

The Q

The other annoying thing is I use two other forums (not railway) that use the same basic software as RMWEB, one is a comparatively quiet forum, the other makes RMWEB look tiny. Neither have the problems of RMWEB.

tutenkhamunsleeping

Quote from: The Q on March 08, 2022, 09:38:56 AM
The other annoying thing is I use two other forums (not railway) that use the same basic software as RMWEB, one is a comparatively quiet forum, the other makes RMWEB look tiny. Neither have the problems of RMWEB.

Perhaps they're configured more for the forums rather than advertising platforms?

The Q

Quote from: tutenkhamunsleeping on March 08, 2022, 09:45:19 AM
Quote from: The Q on March 08, 2022, 09:38:56 AM

Perhaps they're configured more for the forums rather than advertising platforms?
The quiet one has no Advertising as it's users sponsored and run by volunteers.
The big one does have adverts, but not as many as Warners are trying to inflict on everyone. They also are direct from the sponsoring companies not via google ads

njee20

I'm certain they could have done a better job of it. There are thousands of forums out there relying on advertising revenue, but their implementation started poor and has got worse! Not really helped by the fact Andy York is pretty hostile whenever anyone asks a question, admittedly I'm sure it's exasperation at the situation and the constant questions, but a banner saying "yeah we know it's rubbish" and curt messages with threats of bans for 3 months isn't really a solution!

tutenkhamunsleeping

Just out of interest, I did a quick visit to both sites without browsing/clicking through to any further pages.  Basic data from my browser (Safari) ::)

njee20

Comparisons like that are useless though. RMWeb is a commercially run forum many orders of magnitude bigger than the NGF, which is run on a shoestring by one bloke, with no offence to Tank! That doesn't mean they're doing a good job of it though.

tutenkhamunsleeping

Quote from: njee20 on March 08, 2022, 10:31:23 AM
Comparisons like that are useless though.

Quite the opposite. Comparisons like that are fundamental to where I spend my armchair time ;)

jamespetts

Quote from: njee20 on March 08, 2022, 10:31:23 AM
Comparisons like that are useless though. RMWeb is a commercially run forum many orders of magnitude bigger than the NGF, which is run on a shoestring by one bloke, with no offence to Tank! That doesn't mean they're doing a good job of it though.

I would generally prefer a forum run on a shoestring by one chap - there is far less danger of abuse of power in that case.
Peertube > Youtube

njee20

Surely there's far more scope for abuse of power? If our glorious leader Tank decided, he could ban half the membership and say that all photos not of NSE locos will be deleted. I doubt Warners would approve of that on RMWeb...

Wasn't passing judgement either, I like both forums, as has been discussed as nauseum, I was merely observing that a screenshot showing that there was more adverts on RMWeb is meaningless. Be like posting a photo of the O gauge threads on here and pointing out how deficient it is.

Bealman

"All photos not of NSE locos will be deleted"

;D :smiley-laughing: ;D
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

jmupton2000

Well, it's the first morning of Ally Pally and RMWeb has finally, completely collapsed it seems.

Izzy

Working fine for me, much faster than recently as well.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations