What's up with RMweb recently?

Started by railsquid, December 23, 2021, 12:27:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmupton2000

The advertising issue was hotly debated in the weeks and months until it finally collapsed.  Repetitive intrusive pop ups were making it almost unusable.

Complaints seemed to be lengthy and frequent but were usually quickly shot down.

It was either stump up for Gold membership (fine if you wanted all the extra bells and whistles but many did not) or install an armada of adblockers.

I reckon if they don't get any return on this seemingly last gasp, they'll pull the plug for good.

There is something that more resembles a web page appearing there now, but nothing working as yet.....

thebrighton

Quote from: 70000 on March 31, 2022, 09:47:44 AM
There is something that more resembles a web page appearing there now, but nothing working as yet.....

I note they've already got the pop up adds working even if nothing else is. Priorities?

Chris Morris

I would feel happier if the now important resource known as RMWeb was in the hands of a not for profit organisation. I'm a little uncomfortable with it being subject to the whim of a business whose only interest is to make a profit. Running a model railway  forum is certainly not their core business.
Working doesn't seem to be the perfect thing for me so I'll continue to play.
Steve Marriott / Ronnie Lane

The Q

The problem with RMweb was with the server company, who weren't doing what they were paid for..

IN the meantime.. RMWEB is back, though with some limitations at the moment..

jamespetts

Quote from: Chris Morris on March 31, 2022, 11:32:15 AM
I would feel happier if the now important resource known as RMWeb was in the hands of a not for profit organisation. I'm a little uncomfortable with it being subject to the whim of a business whose only interest is to make a profit. Running a model railway  forum is certainly not their core business.

More generally, there is much to be said for Berners-Lee's personal data pods idea, which would essentially mean total decentralisation of resources like these and an end to online platforms as we know them. In the long-term, that is the far better way of doing it.
Peertube > Youtube

steadfast

Quote from: The Q on March 31, 2022, 12:09:16 PM
The problem with RMweb was with the server company, who weren't doing what they were paid for..

IN the meantime.. RMWEB is back, though with some limitations at the moment..
Correct!  Here's an explanation on what went wrong from Andy
https://www.rmweb.co.uk/topic/171078-rmweb-site-outage-and-change-of-hosting-april-2022/

Eye opening to what one guy has been trying to sort out

Jo

jmupton2000

It may be back and rocking my adblockers but they have lost almost all images uploaded to the site in the last year or so.  Just spent over an hour tracing which ones were missing from a thread I was working on and reinstating them.

njee20

Wow, that's a lot of lost content. What a shame.

jmupton2000

Having painstakingly tracked down and then reuploaded images to two threads I created over the last eighteen months, they have all disappeared again.  Supposedly it is only a temporary thing and they will be back but quite frankly I am not at all convinced...

My images posted over the past week have all reappeared OK this morning (thankfully). The results of yesterdays outage seemed odd, as some of the pictures were there and others weren't!

Bealman

Quite a lot of my pictures went west or maybe south on a revamp of this forum in the early days. I got over it.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

njee20

"Suck it up" what a helpful contribution.  ::)

I'm not bothering to fix anything for now, the whole site is so unstable. I've not even redownloaded my avatar, as I don't trust them not to either suddenly recover all the old images, meaning I've wasted time trawling around fixing photo links, or delete them again. I'm sure Andy is tearing his hair out, but it's utterly farcical. On the plus side adverts are still working perfectly though. :doh:

Bealman

Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean by that. This forum ain't broken, is it?
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

njee20

No, but the thread isn't about this forum...? People voiced their frustrations about another platform, and you flippantly replied 'yeah that happened to me, I got over it'. Which isn't helpful. Hence my comment. Of course people will get over it, but it is annoying that tens of thousands of images have been lost from what is a vastly helpful resource, entirely reasonable for people to be irked.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations