OTA timber wagons

Started by guest311, December 26, 2011, 11:07:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lner jp

Got some, wrong length axles.

JP

SD35

NTrain

I am surprised by that as I thought the wagon were designed to use the Parkside Dundas Wheels which are 14.9 pin points, the same as the NGS, Farish, ATM, N-Train and a lot of others.

crewearpley40

tunneroner61

Yes NGS shop -they've just restocked. Or Matheison as advertised on this forum.

I've just made some Open Cs and I used Matheisons wheels sets no problem. I can't see that Chivers will have used different axle lengths for the kits - they used to use Peco axles IIRC.

tunneroner61

For information Five79 do not sell the wheels for their kits - you have to source them separately. It says so quite clearly on the Five79 website.

ScottishModeller

Quote from: tunneroner61 on February 24, 2022, 11:19:23 PM
For information Five79 do not sell the wheels for their kits - you have to source them separately. It says so quite clearly on the Five79 website.
Whilst t5hat is correct for the current situation - it's not always been so.

At some point in the past they went from providing the kits with wheels to just providing the kits and leaving the builder to source the wheels/axles.

With all of the Five79 kits you can position the chassis side members to a wide or narrow position.

If built to the narrow positions the NGS or Mathieson wheels and axles fit, however, over time and with use, the pinpoint holes become larger and need to have bearings fitted.

Thanks
Phil H
Thanks
Phil Holman

tunneroner61

Thats interesting @ScottishModeller . I looked at the Open Cs, CCT and Tube I've just built and can't see how you adjust the position of the solebars. There are moulded ribs on the underside of the floor that fix the position of the solebars. Perhaps you could explain a bit more please. Maybe as what I've got are current production the floor moulding has been updated???

Norman

ScottishModeller

Quote from: tunneroner61 on February 25, 2022, 10:56:17 PM
Thats interesting @ScottishModeller . I looked at the Open Cs, CCT and Tube I've just built and can't see how you adjust the position of the solebars. There are moulded ribs on the underside of the floor that fix the position of the solebars. Perhaps you could explain a bit more please. Maybe as what I've got are current production the floor moulding has been updated???

Norman
Hi Norman,

The mouldings supplied are designed to butt up to the ridges on the underside of the floor moulding.

I've tried  2 ways to move the solebars in - it's not a lot whichever way you do it.

Method 1

Draw a line down the inside of the moulded rib.

Remove the existing rib

Add a new rib along the line you drew earlier.

Then assemble the solebars up to that new rib with the wheels/axles in place.

Gives you about 1mm narrower between the solebars

Method 2

File back the top inside edge of the solebar

It can now be positioned tighter up to the existing rib with the wheel/axles in place.

Gives you about 1/2mm narrower between the solebars.

Hope this helps!

Phil H
Thanks
Phil Holman

tunneroner61

@ScottishModeller Firstly apologies for the delayed reply - been busy with a family gettogether weekend. I think I misunderstood your post by assuming that the ex Chivers kit was designed to accomodate two solebar positions. I can clearly see how you have modified the floor to move the solebars inwards. Thanks for the explanation,

cheers Norman

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations