geting the young involed

Started by kevin141, September 04, 2011, 01:57:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cudders

My little one likes trains and I started to make a small layout for him with him helping.. As usual I got carried away with the 'right' look etc but all he wanted was to run a train round a loop!

So thats what he has and he loves it!

I think the details comes later when we have more spare time and more cash in the pocket.

Even in my 20's, although I had some stock, the money went on beer and the fairer sex not points and locos...

I only know of one lad at my eldest's school who admits to having a model railway..can't see that changing really. Proper modelling is a bloke thing.

Cudders
Hoping to make a start on the layout before Xmas!!

Newportnobby

Quote from: cudders on June 29, 2012, 03:50:45 PM
Proper modelling is a bloke thing.

Cudders

INCOMING!!!  Take cover in the nearest slit trench :o

Lawrence

Good grief cudders, are you trying to get us all shot with that last statement and for the benefit of our lady members
I DON'T AGREE WITH CUDDERS
;D ;D

Pengi

Quote from: cudders on June 29, 2012, 03:50:45 PM
Proper modelling is a bloke thing.

Cudders

So we might see you on Page 3 of the Sun then!
Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

longbridge

Thought about this a lot lately, I think kids are in a better position to get into model railways than we were when I was a kid, my reasons are but they pretty much depend on the child's parents.

1/ we never had Thomas The Tank staring at us when we went into toy shops, I would say most boys and some girls have at some time in their early lives had something to do with Thomas.

2/ Thomas the Tank DVDs and TV shows, I know all my kids sat my grandkids in front of the telly to watch Thomas while they did some housework.

3/ Preserved railways, whenever I have been to a preserved railway there is always loads of kids and most parents enjoy a day out on the train with the family, the only trains I saw as a kid was when I withstood the freezing cold with notebook and pencil in hand while train spotting.

4/ Model Railway Exhibitions, all of the model railway exhibitions I go to always have plenty of kids looking on and its not always boys, I have enjoyed listening to girls getting excited over model trains and telling their Mum and Dad what they think.

5/ The only thing stopping kids from getting involved with model railways is modern technology but who knows having the above things introduced to children when they are young may introduce them into the hobby when they are older, I can remember when I married my first wife back in the 1960s, she thought I had lost my marbles when I built a Triang layout on a 6x4 sheet of plywood, I believe that when trains have been introduced to a child it never leaves them, the proof is in the pudding as most of us old buggers on this forum played with trains when we were kids.
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

Neonoodle

Everning all,

Is less than a day old to young do you think? Hopefully he will follow after me in the hobby dept

Andrew Edwin Little Born 06/07/2012 :)

Neil

longbridge

Congratulations Neil he sure is a bonny boy, this must be some kind of record for starting little ones off with trains, well done  :thumbsup:
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

swisstony

Congratulations, we had a girl five weeks ago, your peace and quiet will now disappear for 18 years :) I say this having been up since five and just fed the night stalker who seems to think Half ten is wake up time :) wouldn't swap it for the world though :)

I've managed an hour here and there on my layout since she was born, but that changing now I've moved it out of the garage into the spare room!

scotsoft

Well done to mum and you, I am sure he will be a credit to both of you  :thumbsup:

cheers John.

longbridge

Quote from: swisstony on July 07, 2012, 11:19:15 PM
Congratulations, we had a girl five weeks ago, your peace and quiet will now disappear for 18 years :) I say this having been up since five and just fed the night stalker who seems to think Half ten is wake up time :) wouldn't swap it for the world though :)

I've managed an hour here and there on my layout since she was born, but that changing now I've moved it out of the garage into the spare room!

Hi Tony I hate to burst your bubble there but you can forget 18 years  ;D the older kids get the bigger the problems become and the noise gets louder, all our kids are aged between 38 and 49 and they are more trouble than enough, I should have got a vasectomy when I was 10 years old  ;D
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

kaiwhara

Geez, what hope do I hold? I don't have any kids yet!!

Quote from: oldrailbug on July 08, 2012, 12:58:25 AM
Quote from: swisstony on July 07, 2012, 11:19:15 PM

Hi Tony I hate to burst your bubble there but you can forget 18 years  ;D the older kids get the bigger the problems become and the noise gets louder, all our kids are aged between 38 and 49 and they are more trouble than enough, I should have got a vasectomy when I was 10 years old  ;D
:Class414:  :NGaugersRule: :Class37:

My Model Planning Thread:

(Click on Picture to view thread)

View my photos at my Flickr Account

Newportnobby

Huge congratulations, Neil :beers:
Hope Mum & son are both doing well :thumbsup:

Sprintex

Quote from: kaiwhara on July 08, 2012, 02:31:47 AM
Geez, what hope do I hold? I don't have any kids yet!!

Do yourself a favour . . . keep it that way  ;)

Both myself and Mrs Sprintex have no thoughts or plans to have kids, in fact the very thought horrifies us both! Too much responsibility, too expensive, too restrictive, too noisy, and what a god-awful world to have to subject them to  ::)

Get a cat instead  ;D

Paul

galway

Congrats Neil and Swisstony  :thumbsup: , too be honest having children makes life worth living, there are lots of things you enjoy in life, but, you never get as much joy as you do than watching your children growing up, all I can say is roll on the grandkids.

Paul
Is féidir tú a choinneáil ar eascainí an madra nó is féidir a lasadh coinneal duit

moogle

Yes, congrats to all new mums and dads on here.
Kids aren't for everyone of course.
I'm single and have none, but if I met someone who wanted some I'd expose them to trains from an early age.
Hopefully they'd like them and whilst they might stray away in the teenage years, hope they'd like them for life!
Personal motto: You don't have to be mad to be a modeller, but I find it helps!

My Irish layout here

My Edwardian Seaside Layout here

My Backscene painting tutorial here

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £90.67
Below Goal: £9.33
Site Currency: GBP
91% 
May Donations