Fiddle yard or Hidden siding train detection

Started by 47 years N, June 14, 2016, 12:34:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

47 years N

?
I don't like roundy roundys. Took me just 50 years to realise 🙄

jrb

You can pick up a basic cctv camera and a small screen for next to nothing thesedays. Slightly more hi-tech than wobbly flags...  :)

Edit: For Example:

Camera

Screen

Cheap as chips. :thumbsup:

Newportnobby

The camera and screen are ideal items for my fiddle yard which is hidden from view by a tall back screen. Being a wiring numpty do these simply plug together (assuming they are compatible)?
@jrb

scotsoft

Quote from: newportnobby on June 14, 2016, 03:49:11 PM
The camera and screen are ideal items for my fiddle yard which is hidden from view by a tall back screen. Being a wiring numpty do these simply plug together (assuming they are compatible)?
@jrb

You need to supply power to both the camera and screen, apart from that you will need to sort out the connection between the camera and screen.

Then you are ready to go.

Cheers John.

Zogbert Splod

Quote from: newportnobby on June 14, 2016, 03:49:11 PM
@jrb
Nobster, I have a few small cameras and a couple of small monitors, much along the lines of the ones referred to above.  Perhaps some luck comes into it but I have found them to completely compatible in every combination.  However, if that is a concern for you, a good look round the dreaded eBay will come up with a good selection of complete, matching units. They are offered as 'backup cameras/monitors'  for vehicles. I bought mine back when I was building robots. They were cheap then and are even cheaper now. I even have a wireless one that I intend to use for a drivers eye view of my (eventual) layout.
Another approach, if you have a PC in the train room, would be a basic Web cam.

Regards, Allan.....
"When in trouble, when in doubt, run (trains) in circles..." etc.
There, doesn't that feel better? 
Lovely!

Planning thread:
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=25873.0

My website: Zog Trains

Run what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law
I may appear to be listening to you, but inside my head, I'm playing with my trains.

njee20

Yes, the OP's contribution to this thread is err... Interesting.

what's the picture quality like on these diddy eBay jobs? I was going to get a webcam or two as I thought they'd give better resolution.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations