Unhappy Thread

Started by Caz, August 26, 2015, 10:11:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MalcolmInN

Quote from: railsquid on December 27, 2015, 12:10:39 AM
Picked up some sort of lurgy while in the UK or on the way back, need antibiotics to shake it off.

Also, how long will it be until the latest Star Wars hype dies down?
sorry for your troubles :(
about as long as it took for the previous to die down ? ie never/not yet ???

colpatben

Quote from: MalcolmAL on December 27, 2015, 12:35:40 AM

Going to see it this afternoon, and I have had my 3D glasses  8) since Avatar was shown.
Suppose I should be on a Sad Persons thread :sorrysign:. Or the 'Happy' thread.
We never have problems, only solutions!

Current DCC Project

Involved in Bexhill West to Crowhurst

Now Sold Ensbourne

Colin

paulprice

I went to see it last week, I was very disappointed, a very poor film

railsquid

Quote from: colpatben on December 27, 2015, 09:44:36 AM
Quote from: MalcolmAL on December 27, 2015, 12:35:40 AM

Going to see it this afternoon, and I have had my 3D glasses  8) since Avatar was shown.
Suppose I should be on a Sad Persons thread :sorrysign:. Or the 'Happy' thread.
Enjoy! I just seem to be missing the Star Wars Appreciation Gene since birth.

Tdm

Colin, it was nice to meet you and your good lady here in Tenerife the other week.

I haven't been to the Cinema since we left the U.K., as there is no need to, we have so many TV channels showing films at all times of the day here, that it is never long before a new release is shown on the "Box".

I think the last time I visited the Cinema was in Jersey, and it was to see the latest episode in the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

As a young boy in my home town of Chorley, Lancashire there used to be 3 picture houses - the Royal, the Plaza, and the Odeon, but now there are none. Every Saturday morning I would go to the Royal (known as the "Bug House" for reasons I won't go into) to watch the latest episode of "Flash Gordon" in his battle against "Ming the Merciless".

I also remember going to the Odeon to watch a new film everybody was raving about called "Rock Around the Clock" and when Bill Haley & the Comets plus Little Richard started belting out the songs that made them famous, everyone got up out of their seats and started dancing in the aisles. Oh happy memories.

Lawrence

Not so much unhappy now but I was on Christmas eve, I thought I would recount the tale if only to give you all a bloody good laugh at my expense.

Having done the dishes (yes ladies, really!) I pulled the plug (one of those ones where you have to turn it and it has a little filter bit on it) from the sink and the water just stayed where it was!  Stuck a skewer in the plug ole figuring it was blocked (Einstein  :confused1:), nothing.  Okay maybe an air lock in the drain.  Now it is a 1 1/2 sink, so 2 drains into the pipe plus the drain from the washing machine, I'll pull the drain from the washing machine see if that clears it.  So I now have the entire contents of the sink cupboard strewn round the kitchen and I pulled the pipe.  A micro second before the end of the pipe detached from the drain the thought occurred " I did put the plug back, didn't I?"
A micro second later it was clear I had not!  I dropped the pipe (instead of putting it back on), grabbed for the plug, nope it was now buried somewhere in the pile of other bits.

"DELLA - GET SOME OLD TOWELS - QUICK"

By the time my good lady returned with the towels the water had reached the hall.  Enter daughter, who had pitched up for our traditional Christmas eve munchies, to be greeted by the now rather sodden back end of her father sticking out of the kitchen cupboard, soaking towels and general kitchen detritus everywhere.  After a lot of swearing and 10 minutes with the plunger (on the sink!) all was sorted again, so we sat down to munchies.

Daughter somehow managed to drop the just sharpened cheese knife onto my hand and it stuck into my finger, fortunately the bone stopped it going right through, so I plodded off to the hall cupboard to get the first aid kit.  Switched the light on, it immediately blew and took out the circuit breaker for the downstairs lights.  I managed to reset it in the gloom, replace the bulb and affix a plaster to my finger.

Christmas day I drank lots of wine, didn't go near the sink or anything sharp  ::)

Tdm

Perhaps you are getting rid of all your bad luck before the end of the Year Lawrence, and 2016 will be full of ony good things. Hope so.

MikeDunn

Bummer re the bug - likely the flight  :(

Re the hype - I'd say 2017 ... just in time for the next one  ::)

mr bachmann

Quote from: daveg on December 26, 2015, 11:52:53 AM
Christmas Eve the downstairs loo innards collapse. I can't shift the bolts so mate comes with angle grinder and grim determination. Two hours later all is well.

Boxing Day morning, no hot water. Either the timer is knackered or it's the immersion itself. My power testing gizmo doesn't work even with new battery.

Hi Ho.  :doh:

Dave G

there should be a re-set button on the thermostat - switch  off emersion heater/remove fuse or whatever ,

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwix2K7AsfzJAhWFchQKHRQuBoYQjhwIBQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fask-a-saint.silversaints.com%2Fposts%2F840842-fault-finding-and-replacement-of-an-immersion-heater&psig=AFQjCNEqxn5oPOC2v7jNrKrXKCcApDiTEQ&ust=1451317496619234

(trying to make you Happy  :D )

daveg

Quote from: MalcolmAL on December 26, 2015, 10:42:08 PM
Quote from: daveg on December 26, 2015, 11:52:53 AMEither the timer is knackered or it's the immersion itself. My power testing gizmo doesn't work even with new battery.
I am bound to say "Poor Dave" hope you can get it sorted pdq.

How about a light bulb and a bit of flex ? ( Hint: test the light bulb first on a known good cct., been there Tshirt got caught out like that once ! )

On the other hand I also have to say "what's wrong with the kettle ?"
Here in the balmy SW of England we have not used the central heating for several years, saved us a fortune in heating oil !! If this really is global warming, bring it on  :laugh3:

Thanks a lot! It was one of those 'Why didn't I think of that?' moments.

Tested the power using the suggested method and Ta-Da! it was the switch that was the culprit. Just so happened to have a spare in my version of Mary Poppins' bag and we have hot water once more.  :claphappy:

Our New year guests arriving on Wednesday will now not have to suffer us even more smelly than usual. :no:

Happy New Year to All here present and to those you care about - I wish you fun, contentment and health throughout 2016.

:beers:

Dave G

Newportnobby

Quote from: daveg on December 27, 2015, 05:00:12 PM

Our New year guests arriving on Wednesday will now not have to suffer us even more smelly than usual. :no:

I thought maybe you were heading off to an exhibition in the near future and were preparing for it, Dave :-X

Glad you have the problem solved.

MalcolmInN

Quote from: MalcolmAL on December 26, 2015, 10:42:08 PM
( Hint: test the light bulb first on a known good cct., been there Tshirt got caught out like that once ! )
and we have hot water once more.  :claphappy:
Brill !  :claphappy:

and you did want to know about my hint ? :) :-
It was when I was learning to be an electrical engineer,
we had to parallel two whacking great generators - If they were anti-phase a bulb between them would light and could not be connected.
If the bulb didnt light they were in-phase and could be connected in parallel.
The bulb did not light so we connected them,
BANG ! ! molten copper balls on the floor from the 1/2" cable and a switch in pieces.
Lecturer had given us a duff bulb and his idea of a fuse was a carfully chosen stout cable,
before elfinsafety but we remembered ever after to test the test equipment, you bet !

Dangerous stuff heavy electrical generation, so I became a light electrical (electronics) engineer LOL !

kiwi1941

Our New year guests arriving on Wednesday will now not have to suffer us even more smelly than usual.

I thought that it was the visitors, like fish, who began to smell after three days [ancient Chinese proverb]  :D Brian
Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty." Wendell Phillips.

Eternal paranoia is the price of liberty: vigilance is not enough. Len Deighton.

Bealman

Treadmill... the mighty lager.... with the world's great taste...

Of fish (Monty Python in case folk are wondering wot I'm on about)
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

daveg

Quote from: Bealman on December 28, 2015, 05:48:15 AM
Treadmill... the mighty lager.... with the world's great taste...

Of fish (Monty Python in case folk are wondering wot I'm on about)

More IPA, George?  :)

Dave G

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations