Show Your Latest Completed Loco and Rolling Stock Kit/Scratch Builds

Started by EtchedPixels, July 09, 2013, 08:33:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stevie DC

Some great work on here. I'm particularly taken with Etche's Coronation class and DorsetMike's southern locos (right in the period I'm modelling).

Sorry for those who have seen this one on my workbench thread but this is my most recent kit built (scratchbuilt? Does CAD designing count?) loco.

EtchedPixels

BernardTPM's GWR brake sides, 3D printed shell and some car paints for the sides

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Jerry Howlett

Quote from: EtchedPixels on September 24, 2013, 09:52:59 PM
BernardTPM's GWR brake sides, 3D printed shell and some car paints for the sides

E.P what car colour have you used for the maroon ?

Jerry
Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

EtchedPixels

For maroon I use

Ford Burgundy Red over white/grey or Ford Damask Red sprayed over black. They produce different shades but both look good to my eyes and it gives a better mix

For BR(S) I use Rover Brooklands Green sprayed over black.

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

portland-docks

E.p i dont suppose i could talk you into a kit build for me could i?
Visit my heritage Railway "moorside Valley Railway"

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=9280.0

see first post for exhibition dates

EtchedPixels

Quote from: portland-docks on September 26, 2013, 05:55:25 PM

Nope. Got enough of my own stuff to build - and I'm probably going back to work in a few weeks so will have even less time.

Alan

portland-docks

Quote from: EtchedPixels on September 26, 2013, 10:09:59 PM
Quote from: portland-docks on September 26, 2013, 05:55:25 PM

Nope. Got enough of my own stuff to build - and I'm probably going back to work in a few weeks so will have even less time.

Alan

Dam, no problems cheers e.p
Visit my heritage Railway "moorside Valley Railway"

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=9280.0

see first post for exhibition dates

Gooner1953

Quote from: EtchedPixels on September 26, 2013, 10:09:59 PM
I'm probably going back to work in a few weeks so will have even less time.

Best of luck with that Alan, off to set the world alight again...  Hopefully this won't affect the supply of kits!  :worried:

Nick

EtchedPixels

This was a prototype of the Thompson BZ kit that didn't quite get the roof right so seemed a good thing to finish off and use to experiment with rust effects

E Pinniger

Ex-SR Q1 0-6-0 built from the Langley kit on a Farish chassis - I picked this up very cheap as a built model, stripped the poor original paint job and rebuilt it with a lot of extra detail. The tender is a modified and detailed Farish Bulleid tender (the seams on it appear a lot more prominent in the photos, due to the lighting). Other than Langley vacuum pipes and a couple of modified Peco figures for the crew, all the detailing is scratchbuilt, including the pipework and sand boxes (most of which were missing from my second-hand model!)
All it needs now is the addition of headcode discs. It's not the greatest of Q1 models, even with the added detail, but it was a fun modelling project and has allowed me to add this loco class to my layout at a price I can afford (unlike the Dapol one); and the heavy weathering job hides at least some of the defects!
I should have some better photos of it (hopefully with discs) in a future update on my layout thread.

My current project is a Langley GWR railcar (another ancient relic of a kit!); I also have some Gramodels LSWR wagons and various NGS kits lined up, along with an assortment of tatty old RTR open wagons for repainting and weathering (currently my non-PO open wagon collection is a bit limited, consisting of one wooden 7-plank and a few steel 16t wagons)

Dr Al

Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

CarriageShed

E, your Q1 looks absolutely great to me, defects or otherwise. I look forward to seeing more pics of it.

Jerry Howlett

Quote from: E Pinniger on October 28, 2013, 06:15:38 PM

Ex-SR Q1 0-6-0 built from the Langley kit on a Farish chassis - I picked this up very cheap as a built model, stripped the poor original paint job and rebuilt it with a lot of extra detail. The tender is a modified and detailed Farish Bulleid tender (the seams on it appear a lot more prominent in the photos, due to the lighting). Other than Langley vacuum pipes and a couple of modified Peco figures for the crew, all the detailing is scratchbuilt, including the pipework and sand boxes (most of which were missing from my second-hand model!)
All it needs now is the addition of headcode discs. It's not the greatest of Q1 models, even with the added detail, but it was a fun modelling project and has allowed me to add this loco class to my layout at a price I can afford (unlike the Dapol one); and the heavy weathering job hides at least some of the defects!

Some years ago I picked up one of these on ebay for £20 so your pictures have given me inspiration to have a go at upgrading it, as I too find the Dapol one beyond my pocket!

Jerry
Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

CarriageShed

As this is the loco kit and scratch-build thread, it might be a good place to ask about coal rails. I've been able to source all of the other items needed to upgrade older locos with extra detail, such as vacuum pipes, hooks, lamp irons, etc, mostly from N Brass Locos and Ultima. The one thing I haven't seen anywhere is coal rails. Primarily the ones I need would be for LMS and S&DJR locos (most of which were of a Midland design), both 4-4-0s and 0-6-0s.

Does anyone know a seller for coal rails?

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £15.67
Below Goal: £84.33
Site Currency: GBP
16% 
May Donations