Hornby looking for ideas for more British N

Started by Michael Shillabeer, February 20, 2015, 06:04:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zwilnik

I'm one of the ones who asked for the Flying Scotsman. Specifically a *Good* Flying Scotsman with a full set of suitable coaches with the Minitrix running qualities and reliability.

Hornby should do at least one model that can be directly compared to their competitors just to show their qualities and given the limited runs that everyone does I don't think they'd have too much trouble selling a Flying Scotsman train pack.

Having said that I'd prefer a streamlined Duchess of Hamilton and coaches first ;)

Trainfish

Quote from: Mr chapman on February 21, 2015, 11:27:20 AM
Quote from: MalcolmAL on February 21, 2015, 12:41:05 AM
Quote from: Elvinley on February 21, 2015, 12:25:21 AM
Did you notice in that email the incorrect price of £119 per set? - if only.
Yep, on the web page as well  !
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=26386.msg285923#msg285923
and see AustinBob's reply :)

Sadly the shopping basket did not maintain the illusion :(

If you read the email that's the reduced price if you order both. One unit still costs £199. If you order both at the same time you save £50 and the price drops to that stated. Still... If they do honour it be sure to let us know  :thankyousign:

Afraid not mate. I've just put both items in my basket and applied the code supplied and it still comes out at £349.98 payable.
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

Roy L S

Dorsetmike

Quote from: Roy L S on February 21, 2015, 11:30:50 AM
Quote from: Dorsetmike on February 21, 2015, 11:10:44 AM
Also why must just about every loco produced be a type which survived into BR days.

I suspect almost a Catch 22 situation, they don't make them cos almost nobody models pre BR/ nobody models pre BR cos there's almost no stock made.

Hi Mike

I appreciate that there is some interest in pre-BR, no question of that, but I strongly suspect insufficient to risk tooling for a model which would not cover the all important steam/diesel transition period.

To make a business case they would have to be able to demonstrate a market for several thousand units and as risk free as possible. That means BR liveries is a "must" I think.

Regards

Roy

I appreciate that but until somebody does bite that bullet I suggest my Catch 22 will continue to exist.

Union Mills seem to be able to get along with "mundane" stuff,  admittedly on a much smaller operation and still choosing types which survived to BR.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Paddy

HOLLERTON JUNCTION (SHED 13C)
London Midland Region
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=11342.0

BARRIES'S TRAIN SHED - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChVzVVov7HJOrrZ6HRvV2GA

NeMo

For the benefit of Hacker and Bashem Ltd a 4-4-2 and maybe 0-4-2 would be welcome.
Yesterday on this forum you just stated you only bought 2 locos new across the last 10 years. That's probably your answer right there why Hornby isn't listening to you. Why should they? The hobbyists they care about are the ones who buy a new loco every month or two.

Also why must just about every loco produced be a type which survived into BR days.
Just about every survey of the hobby reports the 'transition era' between steam and diesel is the most popular. Presumably because you can mix both types of traction without fudging things. Being able to run Flying Scotsman and a Deltic on the same layout is something that appeals to a lot of people, and understandably so. More hobbyists = more sales potential = better return on your investment.

I suspect almost a Catch 22 situation, they don't make them cos almost nobody models pre BR/ nobody models pre BR cos there's almost no stock made.
Definitely a fair comment. I wonder when this happened. When I was a teenager, during the early 80s, it seemed to me GWR layouts were two-a-penny, and layouts based around the Big Four generally were pretty popular. Is it simply the people who knew the Big Four railways companies, and modelled them in their retirement perhaps, just die off? Do we mostly model what we grew up with? For me, it's the BR blue era that appeals, because that's why I saw and remember.

Cheers, NeMo
(Former NGS Journal Editor)

talisman56

Quote from: Mr chapman on February 21, 2015, 11:27:20 AM
Quote from: MalcolmAL on February 21, 2015, 12:41:05 AM
Quote from: Elvinley on February 21, 2015, 12:25:21 AM
Did you notice in that email the incorrect price of £119 per set? - if only.
Yep, on the web page as well  !
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=26386.msg285923#msg285923
and see AustinBob's reply :)

Sadly the shopping basket did not maintain the illusion :(

If you read the email that's the reduced price if you order both. One unit still costs £199. If you order both at the same time you save £50 and the price drops to that stated. Still... If they do honour it be sure to let us know  :thankyousign:

I don't think so...
£199.99 + £199.99 = £399.98 - £50.00 = £349.98.
£119.99 + £119.99 = £239.98

I think someone made a boo-boo on the prices on the EMail and associated web page, and the fact that when you try to order the items the price in the basket is £199.99 confirms that, IMHO.

Under SOGA they would have to honour if the mistake is noticed after sale (as then they would have accepted a contract at that price), but as there is no way to get them to sell at the lower price then I would think that trying to get them to honour that lower price would involve a certain amount of spitting into the wind...
Quando omni flunkus moritati

My layout thread - Hambleside East: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=18364.0
My workbench thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=19037

Roy L S

Quote from: Paddy on February 21, 2015, 12:49:35 PM
Duke of Gloucester please!

Paddy

Hi Paddy

That could be a really good choice given CAD work is done for the 00 one already. Likely a good "Rule1" loco too for many people (including me).

Roy

acko22

I would happily go rule one with Duke Of Gloucester.

But Some modern era stock like 175 or maybe a 323. While I know steam is the biggest seller in N gauge however modern stuff has the biggest room for growth business wise.
For hornby to get a foot hold in the market I think hitting modern first then spreading out.
Mechanical issues can be solved with a hammer and electrical problems can be solved with a screw driver. Beyond that it's verbal abuse which makes trains work!!

Roy L S

Quote from: acko22 on February 21, 2015, 02:43:02 PM
I would happily go rule one with Duke Of Gloucester.

But Some modern era stock like 175 or maybe a 323. While I know steam is the biggest seller in N gauge however modern stuff has the biggest room for growth business wise.
For hornby to get a foot hold in the market I think hitting modern first then spreading out.

There is a logic to targeting some more modern things and there is certainly a lot of growth potential I'd have to agree, but risk wise a spread may be better. There are a number of steam locos in their 00 range such as the "Princess" that have never been available RTR in N and are not on anyone else's declared product lists that would look to have much potential too.

Interesting times...

Roy

Mr chapman

I think the main attraction for me is the chance for more places to stock N gauge. Lots of smaller model shops stock plenty of red boxes but no N. Places like Argos or toys-R-us could even also stock a bit of N. Who knows. Hornby is a power player in the world of railways. Most people start with a Hornby 00 set as a kid. Perhaps now that could be a Hornby N set.
DCC southern modeller

Dorsetmike

QuoteMost people start with a Hornby 00 set as a kid. Perhaps now that could be a Hornby N set.

I suspect there are quite a few on this forum who started out on Hornby gauge 0, I know I did, 00 was what I got my kids, they didn't get the bug tho!
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

jivebunny

Quote from: Dorsetmike on February 21, 2015, 04:07:45 PM
QuoteMost people start with a Hornby 00 set as a kid. Perhaps now that could be a Hornby N set.

I suspect there are quite a few on this forum who started out on Hornby gauge 0, I know I did, 00 was what I got my kids, they didn't get the bug tho!

I think you've just invented the railway modelling equivalent of carbon dating  :smiley-laughing:

JB

Mr chapman

DCC southern modeller

bluedepot

good news

suppose hornby will be looking for something newish from their oo range they can just shrink?

what are the best hornby oo diesel locos and dmus?

as for emus, maybe a 395 or 2-bil? do they make others?

Tim

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations