and when the packet arrived it was open ... (the decoder went up in smoke !) :D
:laughabovepost:
GCHQ got there first :)

austinbob

Quote from: mr bachmann on January 13, 2015, 08:37:16 PM
and when the packet arrived it was open ... (the decoder went up in smoke !) :D
Que?
???
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

cjbeattie

thanks malcom

afer reading more about dcc and dc tonight i made the plunge and bought this kit :)

http://www.modellers-mecca.co.uk/starter-sets/12754-370-080-countryside-coal-train-set-dcc-onboard.html

just want to say thanks to everyone for there help and advice..

going to also buy a extra track set so i have more than a loop and one siding and perhaps in a week or so another engine :) dcc FITTED of course.. then ill be well on my way  ;D

once again thanks

:thankyousign:

ps.. if your interested i can post pictures as the wee world im going to make progress's all but slowly :)

austinbob

Quote from: cjbeattie on January 14, 2015, 02:27:59 AM
thanks malcom

afer reading more about dcc and dc tonight i made the plunge and bought this kit :)

http://www.modellers-mecca.co.uk/starter-sets/12754-370-080-countryside-coal-train-set-dcc-onboard.html

just want to say thanks to everyone for there help and advice..

going to also buy a extra track set so i have more than a loop and one siding and perhaps in a week or so another engine :) dcc FITTED of course.. then ill be well on my way  ;D

once again thanks

:thankyousign:

ps.. if your interested i can post pictures as the wee world im going to make progress's all but slowly :)
Good luck and - enjoy  :NGaugersRule:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

MalcolmInN

Quote from: cjbeattie on January 14, 2015, 02:27:59 AM
Oh yes please :) You took the very words off my keyboard, I was about to say " Did anyone mention we love pictures "  :thumbsup: :beers:

Well done, congrats on making a decision (wish I was as good at that ),

I am very tempted by that set as well, I may have some questions for you in due course :) but I'll leave you to play   operate it for a wee while in peace first ;)

as Bob says - Enjoy.

cjbeattie

thanks malcom thanks bob

dispatched today so i should get it tomorrow..

i Think n gauge will be a shock to me as never seen how small they are in real life..

i found this on ebay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Peco-N-gauge-Starter-Track-set-ST-300-/231451306131?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item35e392a893

12-15 quid cheaper than anywhere else.. so going to order that..

do you know the cheapest place for peco flexi track?

austinbob

Quote from: cjbeattie on January 14, 2015, 05:23:56 PM
thanks malcom thanks bob

i Think n gauge will be a shock to me as never seen how small they are in real life..

i found this on ebay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Peco-N-gauge-Starter-Track-set-ST-300-/231451306131?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item35e392a893

That track set will add a lot of interest.
I buy my Peco track from Hattons - they are generally pretty competitive. Here's a link to their Peco code 80 streamline page which includes flexitrack. http://www.ehattons.com/stocklist/1000407/1000589/1000684/0/Peco_Products_N_Gauge_Track_Code_80_Streamline_/prodlist.aspx
:beers:

Bob Austin

Jack

Quote from: cjbeattie on January 14, 2015, 05:23:56 PM
thanks malcom thanks bob

i found this on ebay.

Hattons due that track pack for £42 brand new with all the right bits in it - I know which one I'd go for. Hattons are also probably the best price for your flexi track, however if you only want a couple of lengths it might be better to visit your local model shop.
Today's Experts were yesterday's Beginners :)

austinbob

Quote from: Jack on January 14, 2015, 05:33:41 PM
if you only want a couple of lengths it might be better to visit your local model shop.

Trouble is Jack, local model shops are becoming less 'local' now. I don't know how CJ is fixed for model shops but the only one thats any good for me is 20 miles away. :thumbsdown:

Bob Austin

cjbeattie

hey bob/jack/Malcolm and rest  :wave:

Carlisle dos have one local model shop in the city centre but parking is a pain.. double yellows everywhere so one cant get near it..

Some progress though with my project of sorts,

Still waiting for my starter kit  :veryangry:

Bought 7 second hand wagons on eBay and received them! OMG they are so tiny! My first sight of N gauge in real life (not in pictures) didn't realize they were so small.. But the detail is fantastic.. A few buffers missing but happy for what I paid for...

And some fantastic news managed to get a flying Scotsman with dcc fitted on eBay for 60 pounds.. Not sure if that's good or not but the model has been looked after and the pictures look brilliant.. Shames only hauling wagons but don't care didn't think I would have something so elegant so early on... feel ashamed a wee bit its coming to such a newbie after being with someone who knew what they were doing and  had a huge layout.. He said it has sat on the shelf for a year but runs great still and will need servicing so already got the oil to oil the joints...

Hmmm what else , oh yeah got Metcalf signal box, engine shed and goods shed and my partner bought the farm to build! All these BEFORE any track being laid ! Lol or before I even receive the actual kit!!

Made the engine shed and even though kits are fiddly and tiny really pleased how they look..

Anyways that's it for now..

Craig

austinbob

Quote from: cjbeattie on January 16, 2015, 06:17:55 PM
hey bob/jack/Malcolm and rest  :wave
Bought 7 second hand wagons on eBay and received them! OMG they are so tiny! My first sight of N gauge in real life (not in pictures) didn't realize they were so small.. But the detail is fantastic..
Craig
Do you know Craig, that was exactly my reaction when I bought my first loco (Farish 4MT) and a few Peco wagons. I was used to 4mm scale EM gauge ( OO with more scale track gauge) and couldn't get my head round the small size. But - as you say - the detail is incredible for such small items and you just fall in love with it all!
Be careful with the locos when you get them its so easy to damage them - especially the steamers with complicated valve gear - I speak from experience here.

Bob Austin

shaker_wooders

Hmmm what else , oh yeah got Metcalf signal box, engine shed and goods shed and my partner bought the farm to build! All these BEFORE any track being laid ! Lol or before I even receive the actual kit!!

Made the engine shed and even though kits are fiddly and tiny really pleased how they look..

Craig

The Metcalfe kits are quite fiddly especially when it gets to chimney pots.  Looks like your other half might be hooked now.  Once she builds that farm there will be no stopping her.  Hope your starter pack and Flying Scotsman arrives soon.  Don't forget to start a thread on the layout planning and/or construction forum and to post pictures.

Simon

cjbeattie

Hey bob

Yeah the detail is incredible on n gauge for the size very pleased that I converted from 00 now.. Ja watched Scotsman on utube in n gauge and the gearing looks tiny! Lol looking forwarding to giving it a nice oiling.. :bounce:

Yeah shaker shes hooked!! She already wants a small part of the layout to build a farm and a church and a small village!!!! So the devious plan has worked but could of back fired ! As shes taking over ! Lol  I told her I want to keep it industrial and not fill the world full of static towns that don't move.. that's just land that track could be on ... but ill give her a little patch to appease her ..

Sorry for posting on here about update didn't realize I hato make a new thread..   :uneasy:

daveg

Quote from: shaker_wooders on January 16, 2015, 07:41:24 PM

Craig

The Metcalfe kits are quite fiddly especially when it gets to chimney pots.  Looks like your other half might be hooked now.  Once she builds that farm there will be no stopping her.  Hope your starter pack and Flying Scotsman arrives soon.  Don't forget to start a thread on the layout planning and/or construction forum and to post pictures.

Simon

There many options when making chimney pots and most of those are listed hereabouts.

Like a fair few other folk, I use cocktail sticks, coloured/stained to look terracotta-ish.

Apologies for the old photo.

Dave G

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations