Oxford Diecast – 2015 new anouncements

Started by woodbury22uk, January 03, 2015, 07:51:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodbury22uk

At the beginning of 2015 the following 20 models have been announced and are due for delivery over the coming months:-

NAEC001      AEC Matador - Royal Artillery France
NBSA001      Motorbike/sidecar – AA
NCOM001    Commer Commando – RAF*
NCOM002    Commer Commando – BOAC
NDEF007      Land Rover Defender LWB Hardtop – BR

NFG004        Foden FG tipper – Blue Circle Cement*
NFG005        Foden FG dray – Scottish & Newcastle
NFG006        Foden FG oval tanker – Regent
NFT002        Ford Transit SWB – Royal Mail*
NFT003        Ford Transit SWB  – RAC*

NFT010        Ford Transit LWB – Stobart Rail
NFT016        Ford Transit SWB – AA
NMN005     Mini- lime green
NOWB004  Bedford OWB – Southern National
NPE007       Plaxton Elite – Scottish Citylink

NPP003       Plaxton Panorama 1 – Neath & Cardiff
NRAB005    Scammell Scarab with flatbed trailer – BRS Parcels
NSFE002     Scania Pump Ladder – Sussex Fire & Rescue
NTIL001      Austin Tilly – 9th Survey Regiment
NTRAIL001 Mobile Trailer – Bob's Hotdogs

These were first announced in October 2014, except the four marked * which were announced in May 2014 or earlier. The next four-monthly new items announcement is due in February 2015 around the time of the trade toy and hobby fairs.

Oxford's MD recently reported that 85% of announced new tooling for 2015 had already been completed in December 2014. This should help to alleviate delivery date slippage.
So far Oxford Diecast have released 210 different models in N, most of which are still available in the retail trade. The range can viewed on the Oxford Diecast website:-
http://www.oxforddiecast.co.uk/eras/1_148_0__Current.htm

In case anyone is wondering, I have no official relationship with Oxford Diecast but I do watch carefully what they are planning and producing. This observation is the source for what I post on here. Like everyone else, I am just a customer of Oxford Diecast. Several models in the 1/76 scale Oxford Diecast range are the result of detailed photographic and graphic information supplied by me, and one vehicle type in 1/76 and 1/148 was the result of extensive research I undertook, and my original suggestion to Oxford Diecast.
Mike

Membre AFAN 0196

Newportnobby

Thanks Mike :thumbsup:
Strangely enough I was wondering about your relationship with Oxford so thanks for the explanation and thanks for the work you've done with them.
Could you please put in a good word for a cattle lorry circa 1950/1960? ;)

woodbury22uk

I am a bit surprised that BT Models have not done a cattle float given that they have some suitable two axle chassis. I suppose a Dornaplas body on one of the those might make a stop gap.

Cattle trucks could appear on lightweight and medium weight chassis. Biggest problem for the diecast makers is that in bygone eras there were few national operators of these so the scope for multiple liveries is a bit limited. I always thought that the BT Models mix and match approach had the particular merit of allowing say a row of similar trucks with different cabs but bodies fit for a common purpose - cement mixers, dustcarts as they were, tippers, horseboxes, cattle trucks etc.

"Vintage Roadscene" magazine is a great source of inspiration for these. There were two extensive cattle truck articles in 2013 with scores of period photos for the 1950s and 60s. The current (January 2015) edition has a feature on dairy industry trucks - Bedford O series 2 axles and artic, Bedford OWL, Bedford TD, Thornycroft, Guy Warrior, Albion Chieftain, Bedford S, Dodge LAD, etc., flatbeds, dropsides, tankers and all. It also has a feature with a title to appeal to the readership - Bikini Units.

http://www.fire-engine-photos.com/picture/number35398.asp
Mike

Membre AFAN 0196

woodbury22uk

Just one item announced for delivery in January so far:-

NFG004  Foden FG tipper -Blue Circle Cement.

Delivery expected w/c 12 January.
Mike

Membre AFAN 0196

Richard G Dallimore

Regards
Richard
Formerly NtasticShop
Now N'Tastic Scale Models & Copper Mine Miniatures
https://www.coppermineminiatures.co.uk/n-tastic-scale-models
https://www.facebook.com/NTasticScaleModels

trkilliman

Doubtless we all have our very own wish list for Oxford diecast as we do for the products of others producing N gauge.

I agree a cattle wagon would surely be a good choice as so many incorporate a farm on their layout. Good to see an annouced dray for all of those Breweries many of us lads seemed compelled to include! I realise that Oxford try to release a model in as many variants as possible to maximise the return on their tooling costs etc. The Brewery dray again offers a lot of scope for breweries around the U.K. A few of their releases have surprised me a little, but I'm more than a little surprised that they have not produced the Bristol K & L type buses, given they were once to be found over great swaths of the U.K. They were around from the immediate post war years with some later built vehicles lasting into the early 70s wearing the NBC liveries of leaf green or poppy red. Tilling red or green with cream were the liveries used fairly exclusively until NBC days (the K type double decker was also found in highbridge and lowbridge types) Given this cancels the scope for a variety of liveries they could perhaps supply the models with fleet-names and a range of period advertisements for self application. I think potentially the overall numbers sold could pretty much make up for the lack of alternative livery sales, such as is happening with the Bedford OB and Scammel scarab, to name just a couple. They would of course miss out on the collecting fraternity who might rush to buy a near identical vehicle with one digit different in the registration. I think I may have suggested this about the Bristol K&L some time back, but thought it worth mentioning again.

woodbury22uk

Quote from: NtasticShop on January 03, 2015, 02:12:43 PM
Go on Mike tell us which was yours?

Since you asked Richard it was the Bedford OWB utility bus. Enjoyed doing the research. Still many well known liveries to do.
Mike

Membre AFAN 0196

Richard G Dallimore

Quote from: woodbury22uk on January 03, 2015, 02:38:01 PM
Quote from: NtasticShop on January 03, 2015, 02:12:43 PM
Go on Mike tell us which was yours?

Since you asked Richard it was the Bedford OWB utility bus. Enjoyed doing the research. Still many well known liveries to do.

Thank you Mike I hope you can help them in the future with other great ideas.
Regards
Richard
Formerly NtasticShop

woodbury22uk

Retailers have been advised today of the following new items for later in 2015:

NCA002         Bedford CA ice cream van - Walls - NEW TOOLING
NDEF003       Land Rover Defender 110 hardtop - British Army
NIRZ001       Scania Irizar coach - Eireann/Eurolines - NEW TOOLING
NLAN188019 Land Rover Series 1 - 88" hard top - AA
NMWD001     Bedford MWD - Royal Engineers  NEW TOOLING
NPE008         Plaxton Elite coach - Stagecoach Coastrider X7
NWM001       Whitby Modial Mercedes ice cream van - Walls  NEW TOOLING

Interesting to see Army vehicles and ice cream vans from two different eras on the list. Two coaches, and an AA Land Rover. Who is going to come up with the magic formula to make plain liveried cars a better business proposition for Oxford?

Mike

Membre AFAN 0196

Stevie DC

With Oxford Diecast entering the OO locomotive and rolling stock markets, I hope that we may be lucky enough to see some similar N gauge products in the future...

woodbury22uk

Oxford Rail have announced a new 00 gauge wagon today in six different PO liveries, as well as identifying the liveries and prices for the Adams Radial locomotives. Impressive RRPs I understand.
Mike

Membre AFAN 0196

Richard G Dallimore

More altra modern what about the 70-90's?
Regards
Richard
Formerly NtasticShop

steam-driven boy

Hi,
On the other hand, on the current plan alone I could easily go for 20+ modern single door buses, such as:
http://www.buszone.co.uk/Enviro400_081009_5.JPG
Double and single deck.
Yes, I have some of the Hong Kong ones, there have been excellent conversions to 2-axle 2-door, but they're not right for the types I see in numbers on a daily basis and sit uncomfortably in my eyes.  Elsewhere, Atlanteans are too old 'period' types for me :D
And a shrink-ray on the TX4 taxis would run that pretty close...

Regards, Gerry  8)
...being a bear of very little brain...

woodbury22uk

I think N train may include a single door MB Citaro lookalike in their 3D printed range, which would get you nearer to the Enviro. I say lookalike only to avoid MB asking for licence fees!

An upcoming 00 scale Streetlite DF lookalike kit is being referred to as Modern Single Deck Bus.
Mike

Membre AFAN 0196

steam-driven boy

Hi Mike,
The major concern for me is with the modern double deck buses, and an equivalent quality single deck would surely make sense to follow on.
Some time ago Paul Burkitt-Gray had a topic 'elsewhere' on a suitable double deck 'print' he was working on (there are some photo's in one of my albums on this forum of his excellent FUD '95 underground stock and a Virginian E44 electric loco I have from him currently languishing in my 'to do' drawer) – IIRC he was uncertain about a solution to the front glazing in particular.  I shudder to think how much a 20+ fleet of those fully finished would cost though  :doh:
[smg id=20521]
As to what is available, I do have one of Bob's very nice bendybus prints (also in my 'to do' drawer), so his single is under consideration.  As can be seen in the photo, I do have the Graham Avis resin single deck and I'm considering trying something with them.  I'm not keen on the nice looking TPM overlays for Tomix single deck conversions simply because, as with Atlanteans, they also look a bit too 'period' for my liking.  There are also some scaled simple paper placemarkers in the above view - I put together 20 of 'em, so that's how I know how many...  :-[
There are already suitable rtp buses in the orribly overscale ranges from some manufacturers so this isn't intended as a dig at any particular manufacturer of course, I have one of my 'notions' for something to do myself - I will take a stab at that if I still need to when I reach that point with my layout  :D
I know it's a quite bit 'broken record' with me on this, but with so many latest livery Class 57/66/67/ soon-ish 68s, imminent Pendolino availability, talk now of Electrostars etc, equivalent modern double deck buses in particular surely need attention with the level of quality Oxford are renowned for, the days of plonking down something vaguely passable because it's considered subservient to the trains is certainly a thing of the past IMHO  ;)

Regards, Gerry  8)
...being a bear of very little brain...

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations