Which container wagons

Started by Brooksy, December 12, 2011, 10:56:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EtchedPixels

Standard containers are 10 (obsolete), 20, 30 (rare now days), 40 ft long ISO boxes. There are newer specs for 45, 48, and 53 with the US favouring 48/53 for their long trucks.

Standard containers were 8' tall originally, then 8'6. Hi-cubes are 9'6 and so require special wagons and sometimes particular combinations of wagons and routes to fit the UK loading gauge)

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Brooksy

So in UK container port/terminal they'll be a mix of the 20', 40' and 45' H-C - I guess there would be separate areas for the storage of these or how do they do it? Does anyone model this?

Sorry for all the questions!  ???

Is there anywhere to get card model templates for the 45' boxes? Or is the difference so small as to be not a noticable problem?

darren.c

cookiescrumble

Hattons now have the FEA Spine Wagons with containers available  :thumbsup:

I have had these and the Farish wagons before and I would go for the Dapol Spine Wagons!

Brooksy

Quote from: cookiescrumble on December 13, 2011, 08:18:45 PM

I have had these and the Farish wagons before and I would go for the Dapol Spine Wagons!

Great!  :D

Any pics anywhere? Think I'll go for these.

cookiescrumble

Quote from: Brooksy on December 14, 2011, 09:10:07 AM
Quote from: cookiescrumble on December 13, 2011, 08:18:45 PM

Great!  :D

Any pics anywhere? Think I'll go for these.

Hattons don't have any pictures up yet, but they have the GBRF and Freightliner variants listed as in stock!

VoyagerBen

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone can tell me if the Graham Farish 40ft containers (e.g. 379-350A) which are sold separately to wagons, fit on the Graham Farish Intermodal Bogie Wagons which come with 45ft wagons (377-352A)?

Also, do Dapol 45ft containers (e.g. NB-077E) fit on the Graham Farish Intermodal Bogie Wagons?

Many thanks,
Ben.

NeMo

Quote from: VoyagerBen on October 26, 2016, 08:57:27 PM
Also, do Dapol 45ft containers (e.g. NB-077E) fit on the Graham Farish Intermodal Bogie Wagons?
The Dapol containers fit, but the little attachment pegs don't quite line up with the attachment sockets on the Farish wagons. Nothing a small blob of blu-tack won't fix.

Cheers, NeMo
(Former NGS Journal Editor)

PostModN66

Dapol Spine wagons have a couple of drawbacks; one is that as the couplers are body mounted, they don't go round tight curves quite as reliably as the Farish ones (of either vintage) and they are picky when it comes to coupling container wagons of other types to them.  Another thing is that they are quite flexible, so I have found them difficult to use running empty, as they take up a arch shape and tend to derail.  They are fine with containers stuck on.

45' containers aren't "enlarged" versions of 40' containers, they have two bits "added" to the ends, so they are quite distinctive; when you see them they have two noticeable vertical strips 2'6" from each end.  In fact, going the other way I have made 40' Hi-cubes from 45' models by sawing the end parts off and adding the doors back on. 

Another FYI is that the Megafrets have tiny little wheels, so need good tracklaying!

Cheers Jon  :)
"We must conduct research and then accept the results. If they don't stand up to experimentation, Buddha's own words must be rejected." ― Dalai Lama XIV

My Postmodern Image Layouts

Lofthole http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14792.msg147178#msg147178

Deansmoor http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14741.msg146381#msg146381

geoffc

I have found both the Dapol Megafrets and FEA's need to be weighted to avoid derailing, the Megafrets do not like the Peco 55 Double slips either as the small wheels move sideways in the gap and tend to derail, especially if being pushed through instead of being pulled.

Geoff

Vonzack

I tried running a rake of Dapol Megafrets empty the other day and found that the wheel flanges would hit the non closed point blade causing a derailment. Could be the back to backs need adjusting on the wheelsets, but something to watch for.

Cooper

Am I the only one who likes the fact that this thread has been resurrected from 2011?  :D

Vonzack

That wasn't lost on me either ;-)

Forgot to mention that was Code 55 pointwork.

PostModN66

Quote from: Cooper on October 27, 2016, 02:06:18 PM
Am I the only one who likes the fact that this thread has been resurrected from 2011?  :D

That was probably me - I didn't bother to look at the dates and went straight back to post 1!! :doh:

Never mind!

Cheers  Jon   :)
"We must conduct research and then accept the results. If they don't stand up to experimentation, Buddha's own words must be rejected." ― Dalai Lama XIV

My Postmodern Image Layouts

Lofthole http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14792.msg147178#msg147178

Deansmoor http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14741.msg146381#msg146381

njee20

The amusing thing is that 5 years on the advice is still totally true:

- FEAs are like hen's teeth and prone to bending
- IKAs derail when unloaded because they're so light and have tiny wheels
- FIAs are alright, prone to uncoupling IME
- there are no KTAs

Obviously we've got the forthcoming Revolution KFAs to add to the mix.

Personally I've got a rake of IKAs with Stobart containers, FIAs with mixed containers and a mixed FL rake of FEAs with some 3D printed (by Vonzack for this parish) KFAs and KTAs. Or I will have when I paint them! All are good.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations