Which container wagons

Started by Brooksy, December 12, 2011, 10:56:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brooksy

Hi All!

I want some container wagons and am wondering which to buy. I think there are basically two options (see poll above) so what do people think? If you could give reasons (better runner, more prototypical, etc.) that would be good.

A related question: these two have 45′ high-cube containers. I was thinking that everything was either 20' or 40' so would these wagons also be used for the 20' and 40' containers? Also, if you want to make some containers out card à la scalescenes (or other) they only seem to have the 20' and the 40' containers - is it simply a matter of scaling to get them larger?

I see that there are also Graham Farish 63ft bogie wagon with containers but ruled them out because they weren't so modern. Maybe this was foolish?

Is there any other possibilties that I've missed?

:NGFWagonTour: :NGFWagonTour: :NGFWagonTour:

edwin_m

As usual the answer to this question depends on what you want. 

As far as I know the Farish twin flats are used on Channel Tunnel freight and all are owned/used by EWS/DBS.  The Megafrets are used by several operators on several different flows, all internal to the UK I think (but someone may know better!).  I don't think Freightliner use them however. 

Dapol also made some "spine wagons" but I don't think these have been produced for a couple of years.  They also suffered a bit from warping.  Freightliner and GBRf use these and I think they were produced in both liveries. 

In model terms these are all lightweight wagons with small wheels so may not run well on poorly-laid track (like mine).  Running loaded and adding some weight to the containers may help. 

The Farish 63' flat represents the original Freightliner wagons from the 60s, now all scrapped I think.  However it is not a good model, having the wrong bogies and no buffers where the real ones ran in sets of 5 with buffers on the outer two. 

H

Obviously the one you get is the one that is appropriate to the train type you are modelling; they are not alternatives/substitutes. However, there are quite a few modern 'container' wagons now available in N gauge;

* FEA-B spine set (Dapol RTR)
* IKA low floor Magafret set (Dapol RTR)
* FIA Euro twin set (Farish RTR)
* FFA/FGA container bogie flats (Farish RTR + TPM detailing kit available to add buffing gear to outers; Worsley Works kit)
* KQA Container pocket wagon (ATM and BHE kit versions)
* PFE two axle coal container wagon (C=Rail kit)
* PFA tw axle MoD container wagon (PG Models kit)
* FPA Coal container wagon (TPM kit)

H.

Brooksy

Thanks for the replies. I'm specifically looking at RTR but I'm sure other people will be interesting about the kit/other possibilities.

With regards to the:
* FEA-B spine set (Dapol RTR)

What is the current status of these? I can't see them in stock in any online shops and on a web search I can only find Dapol's press releases from 2008. They do look good and maybe more what I'm after compared to megafret/euro twin.

Ollie3440

As in regards to the Dapol spine wagons, they are bringing out both Freightliner and GBRF variants within the next month or two.

Ollie
Hi I'm Ollie, and I'm a addicted to buying MK1s......

My Previous Exhibition Layout - The Sheaf Valley Railway
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=24.0

My Current Exhibition Layout - Wenlock
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=23228.0

matt-b

i have 6 pairs of megafret weathered wagons with 12 containers that i`m looking to sell over christmas with a drs 66 to match :)

:NGaugeForum:

bluedepot

which of the rtr container wagons are suitable for the 1980s?

tim

darren.c

only the farish ffa/fga wagons there crude but with a bit of work can be made to look good
daz

Greybeema

H - Great piece of analysis... It will prove really useful.

Daz, what needs to be re-modelled to get the Farrish FFA's FGA's to be decent models?  Are FFA's FGA's still in service or do I need to get rid of the ones I have just bought?

I thought I had seen rakes of different types marshalled together in trains.  Is this my imagination or are they?  Particularly interested in the operation out of Thamesport..

Cheers

:Class414:
Worlds Greatest Suburban Electric - Southern
(Sparky Arcy 3rd Rail Electrickery Traction)

My Layout on NGauge Forum:- http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=12592.msg154278#msg154278

darren.c

there not in use on container traffic now ews/bb use them as twin set for carrying sleepers . to make them good you need to replace the bogies ,on the outer wagons you need to make a head stock and put buffers on them
if your modelling modern container traffic use
FEA ,IKA QFA for frieghtlinner
FIA,IKA FOR EWS/DBS
IKA FOR DRS
FEA FOR GBRF/FASTLINE

with regards IKA wagons they do run via the tunnel seen some not long ago
daz

Greybeema

Thanks Darren.

Just have to shift those FFA's FGA's........ 
Just goes to show - research before impulse buy......

My Layout on NGauge Forum:- http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=12592.msg154278#msg154278

EtchedPixels

Depends on your date a bit - they did last a long time into the post nationalisation era. They started off as fixed fives with buffers at the end of the five and gradually turned into shorter and shorter ones as some were scrapped. I think its only a few years ago they finally all went.

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Greybeema

I think I'll use the FFA's as "fillers" until such time as I replace them...  I am sure with enough weathering - no one will notice (current company excepted)...  Must get a couple of KQA's tho...

As I am already using a Malcolm Logistic Class 66 in Kent (My Dads name was Malcolm) on the Thamesport Containers, which are in fact Freightliner trains, the fact that I am using the wrong wagons wont really make much of a difference...

H

Quote from: EtchedPixels on December 12, 2011, 07:58:48 PM
Depends on your date a bit - they did last a long time into the post nationalisation era. They started off as fixed fives with buffers at the end of the five and gradually turned into shorter and shorter ones as some were scrapped. I think its only a few years ago they finally all went.

Yep, I recall seeing rakes of FFA/FGAs in threes and pairs being used in 2007.

H.

Brooksy

Thanks for all the comments. The GF intermodals are currently leading 3-0 but may be worth waiting for the Dapol spine wagons.

No one has commented about the difference between a 40' and a "45' high-cube container" - is there something obvious that I'm missing (apart from the dimensions)? I've tried googling, etc.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations