Why so few tank locos?

Started by nf3996, August 25, 2012, 10:30:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nf3996

The appeal of N Gauge to me is its potential for building a minimum space layout, rather than running long trains in spacious countryside. Such a layout would use tank locos on short trains rather than larger tender locos. However, there are very few tank locos available in N Gauge compared to what is available in the larger scales. Why is that? It can't just be a problem with squeezing a good motor into a tiny body as Farish's Class 03, 04 and 08 diesels have good reputations and are a similar size to many tank locos.

I've racked my brains (and Hattons lists) to see what pre-nationalization tank locos are or were recently available or are planned. This is all I came up with:

Ex-GWR
14xx (Dapol)
57xx (Dapol)
57xx (Farish)
87xx (Farish)
Prairie (Farish)

Ex-SR
Terrier (Dapol)
M7 (Dapol)

Ex-LMS
3F (Farish)

Ex-LNER
Absolutely nothing, except Farish's 40-year old J69

Have I missed anything from the above list? As someone who'd like to build an ex-GER branch terminus, there is nothing available that I can run as my kit-building skills are almost non-existent. Are we ever likely to see such locos as an F5 or N7 produced in ready-to-run form by an N Gauge manufacturer? (I'd even settle for a small tender loco such as an E4 or J15, but I doubt they will ever see the light of day either).

Alan

Alex

Hi Alan,

I'm no expert on British steam but I have 2 Grafar 0-6-0 GP Tank engines in LNER Apple Green. It also came in other liveries as well. Or is this the J69 you are on about?

Alex :wave:

H

Why does it have to be tank kettles? If it's a matter of building a minimum space layout and wanting small locos and short trains then why not consider others.

There are plenty of small 0-6-0 tender locos (such as the Dapol Q1, Farish 4F and soon to be available J39, and from UM) plus a massive number of small diesels like the shunters 03, 04 and 08 and relatively short ones like the class 14 and bo-bos such as the 20, 25, 26, 27, 33, 35 Hymek, 42, 73, etc.

H.

Newportnobby

Quote from: nf3996 on August 25, 2012, 10:30:38 AM
Are we ever likely to see such locos as an F5 or N7 produced in ready-to-run form by an N Gauge manufacturer? (I’d even settle for a small tender loco such as an E4 or J15, but I doubt they will ever see the light of day either).

Alan

Sadly, Alan, I very much doubt you will see these available in RTR form, although I think the N7 would be popular. :(

[quote author=H link=topic=7369.msg83414#msg83414

There are plenty of small 0-6-0 tender locos (such as the Dapol Q1, Farish 4F and soon to be available J39, and from UM) plus a massive number of small diesels like the shunters 03, 04 and 08 and relatively short ones like the class 14 and bo-bos such as the 20, 25, 26, 27, 33, 35 Hymek, 42, 73, etc.
H.
[/quote]

I agree to a certain extent, H, but Alan did say pre-nationalisation which rules out many of the diesels suggested

Joe 90

I must admit I wouldn't mind a tank loco.
Preferably a 2MT Tank as they ran on the Guildford to Horsham line many years ago.

I believe Farish made some a few years back, but if they did they are like rocking horse poo.

H

Quote from: newportnobby on August 25, 2012, 01:18:23 PM

Alan did say pre-nationalisation which rules out many of the diesels suggested

Pre-nationalisation was only mentioned in relation to tank locos - I'm suggesting he consider other types which meet his main criteria of being small locomotives for a minimum space layout.

Once you start getting picky and adding in more restrictive requirements (like era, region, livery, size, type, maker, etc) you start to reduce the options available. Inevitable really.  Eventually you are bound to get to a situation where very few, or even nothing, will match all your narrow criteria. I'm still having trouble finding a RTR N gauge gas powered freight loco in the special celebration pink livery that was used just for a month and that ran on the short tourist line on that very remote off-shore island in the summer of 1971.  :D

H.

H

Quote from: Joe 90 on August 25, 2012, 02:00:08 PM
I must admit I wouldn't mind a tank loco.
Preferably a 2MT Tank as they ran on the Guildford to Horsham line many years ago.
I believe Farish made some a few years back, but if they did they are like rocking horse poo.

They do a 3MT tank; http://www.anticsonline.co.uk/516_1_2658340.html

And will shortly bringing out a 4MT Tank.

The 2MT, also due out soon, is a tender loco.

H.

Adam1701D

It does seem strange that tanks are very under-represented, particularly for the LNER. The nearest they have got was the Farish GP Tank - a sort of generic stretched Jinty. A J50 or J72 would probably go down very well in these quarters.

The GWR has done quite well, with good models of various Panniers and Pariries, LMS has the Jinty and Ivatt 2MT and Southern the M7 and Terrier.

Best Regards,
Adam Warr
Peterborough, UK

moogle

We need more UK outline tank engines. After all, they were the unsung workhorses of the railways!
I've no doubt we will get more eventually once the main bigger engines have all been done. (Those that will sell lots of that is!  :D)

Until then we'll either have to wait or hope/badger the manufacturers to make the chassis available separately for kit makers to cater for!

Quote from: Alex on August 25, 2012, 11:09:28 AM
Hi Alan,

I'm no expert on British steam but I have 2 Grafar 0-6-0 GP Tank engines in LNER Apple Green. It also came in other liveries as well. Or is this the J69 you are on about?

Alex :wave:

The J69 and GP tank are two very different beasties. The former fell apart when you removed the body for a start!
The J69 is often referred to as a Holden Tank, big motor, not very good for shunting or end to end layouts but great for roundy roundy types!
People often sell them on (or even give them away) once they lose the coupling rods but you can buy replacement  ones. I think its BH Enterprises who do them.
The body is quite a good casting for its age and I've heard of people shoehorning Dapol Terrier chassis into them.

Quote from: H on August 25, 2012, 02:00:16 PM
I'm still having trouble finding a RTR N gauge gas powered freight loco in the special celebration pink livery that was used just for a month and that ran on the short tourist line on that very remote off-shore island in the summer of 1971.  :D

H.

Which loco was that? Offshore? D'ya mean the I.O.W?
Sounds interesting whatever it is.  I'm sure a kit maker could do a body for you, perhaps some vinyl overlays...  ;)
Personal motto: You don't have to be mad to be a modeller, but I find it helps!

My Irish layout here

My Edwardian Seaside Layout here

My Backscene painting tutorial here

silly moo

There don't seem to be that many tank locos in larger scales either, I think that the manufacturers have the idea, possibly backed up by research that bigger goods and express locos are better sellers.

I have a black Farish LNER J94, is that a proper LNER loco? I'm not sure if the livery is authentic? I also have a blue NCB one. I have it on good authority that Farish even did a Dutch version as they were used in the Netherlands.

I would love more tank engines.

:ngauge:

Claude Dreyfus

Why bother with all these silly little things when you could go for a proper tank engine...

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/LB%26SCR_L_class

These Billington Baltic tanks make tender engines look little!  :D

moogle

Quote from: Claude Dreyfus on August 25, 2012, 03:39:56 PM
Why bother with all these silly little things when you could go for a proper tank engine...

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/LB%26SCR_L_class

These Billington Baltic tanks make tender engines look little!  :D

Thats not big. This is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_South_Wales_60_class_locomotive and its classed according to Wikipedia as a tank engine!  :D  :smiley-laughing:
Personal motto: You don't have to be mad to be a modeller, but I find it helps!

My Irish layout here

My Edwardian Seaside Layout here

My Backscene painting tutorial here

EtchedPixels

According to the main manufacturers
- they cost as much to design as the big mainline locos
- they don't sell as well

There are however a lot of kits for tank locos of varying quality many of which can make nice locos. The old ABS ones are getting harder to find but are some nice kits to build, and there are a fair number of other sources.

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Ollie3440

Quote from: nf3996 on August 25, 2012, 10:30:38 AM
Have I missed anything from the above list?

A few to add to the original list:

GWR:
94xx Pannier (Farish)
45xx Prairie (Dapol)
4575 Prairie (Dapol)
8750 Pannier (Dapol - they are doing oth versions)

LMS:
Ivatt 2MT Tank (Dapol)

I agree it'd be nice to see some more tanks, i'd certainley get an N2!

Ollie
Hi I'm Ollie, and I'm a addicted to buying MK1s......

My Previous Exhibition Layout - The Sheaf Valley Railway
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=24.0

My Current Exhibition Layout - Wenlock
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=23228.0

EtchedPixels

Langley do a quite easy to build N2 kit, although you do have to redo the real axle to get the best view as in here:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/gallery/image/31648-langley-n2-non-condensing/

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations