grouping together saves you money?

Started by matt-b, June 22, 2011, 06:21:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matt-b

i`m sure i read somewhere that in japan (i mite be wrong) when people who want the same luxury car, they all get together then hit the dealer with a bulk order, inreturn getting more money off. i know we`re talking alot of money for cars and i know of a website that does it for mountain bike buying, but does anyone know or heard of modellers/groups doing this? do you think its a idea shops would be interested in?

:NGaugeForum:

longbridge

Never heard of it with modellers but I am doing it with a new TV next Monday with a neighbor, we should get a better deal on 2 TVs.
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

SymonC

Unlikely that model shops will do this unless they are charging the full RRP for products.

When I took early retirement I received a retirement present of £600 to spend on something that I wanted. Obviously I bought a lot of N gauge stuff. I bought it all from the Signal Box in Rochester.

My first question was "I'm going to be spending near to £600 in your shop today what kind of discount will you give me?"

Their reply was " Sorry we can't do that as our prices are already heavily discounted."

EtchedPixels

Sometimes it will work. A case in point is etched kits where a guaranteed sale of a production run of kits can make it a lot easier. It's one reason some kit producers announce and require pre-orders for etched kits. It's also extremely true for custom work. The setup and design cost of a wagon or coach is measurable and

Small parts are another case in point but then only if the person buying is going to get one large bag and sort splitting them out amongst friends. Often that body of course is a society like the 2mmSA or NGS.

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations