"N" gauge frustrations

Started by Ontrack, September 07, 2020, 10:56:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Train Waiting

Quote from: Newportnobby on September 07, 2020, 03:57:08 PM
Quote from: Snowwolflair on September 07, 2020, 01:20:25 PM
If I found n gauge model railways were that stressful I would switch to flower arranging  :D

I did, but still never got to the root of my problems

That's blooming awful, Mick!

I suppose, like many other things, 'N' gauge model railways are about trial and error, leading to experience.  What is ideal for one modeller might not suit another.  Fortunately, there is a good range of products and suppliers to choose from.

I have found, from experience, the combination of Peco track, Union Mills locomotives, Dapol or Graham Farish carriages, Peco wagons, Gaugemaster controllers and Oxford Diecast road vehicles works perfectly and enables me to build the kind of layout I want.  The next person to post in this thread might have a completely different list which works equally well for them.

I approach second-hand models with caution but do not avoid them completely.

Model railways, to me, are about fun and it's important to work out what gives each of us the most pleasure and the least aggravation.

Best wishes.

John
Please visit us at www.poppingham.com

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

silly moo

I can understand the frustration, years ago I had the combination of Atlas track and Farish locos which was what a local retailer was selling. My trains would not even do one circuit of the layout. It was only dogged determination and joining a local club that kept me going.

Surely if they’re all N they should all work together? no such luck with the combinations I chose.

I learned pretty quickly that without good track work you are sunk. For that reason I have avoided second hand track unless I can inspect it closely.

I’ve done very well with second hand locos bought from this forum’s Facebook N’porium. The only loco I’ve had to return recently was an 00 purchase.

There’s a reason one of my layouts was called ‘Trial and Error’

PennineWagons

If I found n gauge model railways were that stressful I would switch to flower arranging  :D

Maybe you need to branch out.
PW

Newportnobby

Quote from: Train Waiting on September 07, 2020, 04:47:07 PM

That's blooming awful, Mick!

@Train Waiting
Not really, John. As any flower arranger knows there are no roots on cut flowers :) :P

ntpntpntp

Quote from: ODRAILS on September 07, 2020, 01:28:41 PM
Quote from: ntpntpntp on September 07, 2020, 12:42:58 PM
The current Farish track is pretty much a clone of Peco Setrack.
No - current Farish setrack (last 3-4 years) looks like Peco at first but the Peco rail section and fishplates are much finer. The result is the two types do not join properly. ... [I discarded the Farish track]...

Well I did say "pretty much a clone"  :)  Actually the only problem I can find is the Bachmann Farish track has wider fishplates which don't fit into the recess on the Peco Setrack's end sleeper.   However that's easily fixed in 10 seconds with a couple of strokes of a hobby knife to widen the Setrack recess. No need to dispose of the Farish track.

Here's one I prepared earlier - notice the widened recess on the Peco end sleeper (left lower rail) to accommodate the Farish fishplate.

Peco (left) joined to Farish (right):

Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Ontrack

Quote from: silly moo on September 07, 2020, 05:53:49 PM
. It was only dogged determination and joining a local club that kept me going.

There's a reason one of my layouts was called 'Trial and Error'

I'm pretty sure the last owner of my magnum layout sold it because of faulty track because without replacing many sections only a small amout of locos like kato or tomix would tolerate it without problems.
With some engineering knowledge I quickly learnt that track works best when it is allowed to go where it wants without any warped baseboard or bending with nails. There is also a vast difference between locomotives on how smooth they run on different tracks.
Without some knowledge N Gauge can easily go wrong and you are very lucky if you get it right first time. For some like myself it can be very rewarding once you know what works with what, others are no always so lucky.

RBTKraisee

Knowing what works with what is always helpful, no matter the area of interest!

I'm yet to build my first N layout, so I've got this particular learning curve ahead of me.   Understanding some of this ahead of time would be really helpful for me, and would help me to avoid potentially costly mistakes.

I'm sure I'm not alone.   Perhaps you and others who have already covered a lot of this ground might consider creating a thread for the knowledge bank, where you can share some of that "this good, that bad" understanding?

Ross.
"The meek shall inherit the Earth. The rest of us are going to the stars" -Robert Heinlein
An Ex-Pat Brit:  Two decades living in Florida and still an unhealthy shade of "British Tourist White"

Steam Locomotive Wheel Dimensions: https://www.shorturl.at/xAEKW

All my available products are listed in the first post in my workbench thread.

Newportnobby

In attempts to help folks I composed a Glossary of Terms which can be found in the Knowledge Bank and also this..........

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=35556.msg416493#msg416493

Many have added their experiences.

RBTKraisee

"The meek shall inherit the Earth. The rest of us are going to the stars" -Robert Heinlein
An Ex-Pat Brit:  Two decades living in Florida and still an unhealthy shade of "British Tourist White"

Leon

Ross, if you're young enough, take a lot of time to enjoy this Forum and to experiment with the various components of railway modelling. I was 80 when I started (with a few health issues) so I was in too big a hurry. It's taken me over two years and I've at least another year to go so i don't think I had an option but to push on. I DO wish I'd had at least a year of learning at the feet of some of the guys contributing to this Forum before starting.

Leon
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." - Maya Angelou

"A well-read man is defined not for how much he's read but by what he's read!" - an old man

RBTKraisee

Agreed Leon, I've been back on this train for half a year, after a 25 year break from model railways.   While I've been doing a lot of different things already, I'm not in a rush to build my layout just yet - although the itch is definitely starting to make itself felt ;)

I figure it'll be a few more years at least, before I'll consider myself "good enough".   But right now I think I've settled on an initial layout design that I'm happy with, and which has enough versatility to keep things interesting for a long while.   I'm going to start work on this layout soon, mainly just to start gaining some real world - albeit miniature - experience under my belt.   I'm going to use this to learn with.   Then, in a few more years time, I should be ready to build a better layout.

Ross.

Leon

Sounds like a good plan, Ross, and apparently you have plenty of time to make it happen!

Leon
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." - Maya Angelou

"A well-read man is defined not for how much he's read but by what he's read!" - an old man

Ontrack

Quote from: RBTKraisee on September 10, 2020, 04:55:13 PM
Perhaps you and others who have already covered a lot of this ground might consider creating a thread for the knowledge bank, where you can share some of that "this good, that bad" understanding?

Ross.

As you can see Ross there is a ton of good info on this forum with some of the best N gauge modellers you will find so I would only be adding some ideas when most of it is already here.
What I would say is that because it is a fairly small gauge that having good eyesight helps and being able to use a soldering iron. Also keep an led magnifying glass handy and invest in the right precision tools. The simple things work the best and leave room to expand if you so wish.
Last but not least there are times where a lot of patience is needed to get the desired result.
hope you enjoy .:)

Bealman

That is an excellent observation and contribution to this thread.

Thank you!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations