Dapol (re)announce HST Protype train - open for pre-orders

Started by NGS-PO, September 08, 2018, 01:23:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snowwolflair

Quote from: davidinyork on September 19, 2018, 11:20:17 AM
Quote from: Snowwolflair on September 19, 2018, 11:14:19 AM
Quote from: njee20 on September 19, 2018, 11:12:09 AM
Are they tooling specifically for these coaches? Given the compromises on loco hauled versus HST mk3s and the 'standard' buffet offering that seems very surprising on a model of dubious profitability anyway.

Could be drop in variation tooling to change details which is a lot cheaper

The profile of the slam doors is different, so I would think that completely new tooling would be required.

The alternative if the quantities are small is to soft-tool which is again a lot less cost, but very limited tool life.

njee20

Quote from: davidinyork on September 19, 2018, 11:20:17 AM
Quote from: Snowwolflair on September 19, 2018, 11:14:19 AM
Quote from: njee20 on September 19, 2018, 11:12:09 AM
Are they tooling specifically for these coaches? Given the compromises on loco hauled versus HST mk3s and the 'standard' buffet offering that seems very surprising on a model of dubious profitability anyway.

Could be drop in variation tooling to change details which is a lot cheaper

The profile of the slam doors is different, so I would think that completely new tooling would be required.

And the window frames are different I know, plus they've got the ro-vac roof vents like the mk3a, but have they actually said they're tooling for it?

davidinyork

Quote from: njee20 on September 19, 2018, 11:39:31 AM
And the window frames are different I know, plus they've got the ro-vac roof vents like the mk3a, but have they actually said they're tooling for it?

They said when they announced it the first time that it would be new tooling.

Yet_Another

From the coach page on the Dapol website:

QuotePower cars:
• Operating lighting (inclusive of rear lamp, which can be overridden by a switch & DCC Control)
• Flush Glazing
• Highly detailed body, chassis and bogies.
• NEM coupling pockets with Rapido and Ezi-shunt magnetic couplings inclusive.
• DCC Ready (NEXT 18)
• All wheel pick-up
• Super-creep motor (Dummy car is un-motorised)
• Available as two-car sets (1 x Motorised & 1 x Dummy)
• Power Car Pack 1: Prototype passenger livery (DMBs: 41001 & 41002)
• Power Car Pack 2: Departmental (overall yellow ends DMBs: 975812 & 975813)

Coaches:
• New Tooling
• Recessed door handles
• Without window bezels
• Loco-Hauled type roof
• Without CDL indicator blister
• Buffers • Light-bar ready
• Fitted pickups
• NEM Coupling pockets
• Accessory pack.
• Available as 2 x 4 car sets • Saloon Pack 1 Contents: 2 x TF (11000, 11001) and 2 x TS (12000, 12001)
• Saloon Pack 2Contents: 2 x TF (11002, 11003) and 2 x TS (12002, 12003)

We have examined the possibility closely of producing the catering vehicles, and have taken the decision to produce these as a separate 2 car pack based on our existing Mk3 catering car and decorated in matching HST-P livery, but without any tooling modifications. Therefore the catering pack will be:

• Dapol Mk3 Buffet car in matching HST-P livery
• Lightbar ready
• Two car Buffet Pack containing 10000 as Trailer Buffet (TRSB) and 10100 as Trailer Kitchen (TRUK)

Therefore in order to own a full HST-P set you will need the following:
• 1 x 2D-027-xxx (Power cars) - Choose desired livery
• 1 x 2P-007-001 (Saloon pack 1)
• 1 x 2P-007-002 (Saloon pack 2)
• 1 x 2P-007-003 (Buffet pack)

Tony

'...things are not done by those who sit down to count the cost of every thought and act.' - Sir Daniel Gooch of IKB

njee20

Cool, wonder if they'll make a running change to the roofs on the relevant local hauled coaches.

davidinyork

Quote from: njee20 on September 19, 2018, 07:32:14 PM
Cool, wonder if they'll make a running change to the roofs on the relevant local hauled coaches.

Don't have any pictures to hand, but as I recall the prototype coaches and the Mk3as aren't the same - something about the roof hatches I think?

njee20

No idea if they're identical, but they're closer to the mk3a than the current offering. Both have 3 rovac vents as opposed to the single central one.

GWR-Kris

Hope all can clear a few things up, are all the coach packs the same livery just different coach numbers?

Regarding the power cars 2D-027-001 the part yellow front and 2D-027-002 the full yellow front version?

I have emailed Dapol to ask however they have not got back to me surprise surprise.

Dalek

Spotted that this is at 89%, another 11% more signups and its a goer  :thumbsup:

If you haven't signed up yet here is a link to do so  :D

https://www.dapol.co.uk/shop/preorder/N-Gauge-Preorder/HSTP_Preorder

Craig

Bob G

Quote from: GWR-Kris on October 07, 2018, 11:02:01 PM
Hope all can clear a few things up, are all the coach packs the same livery just different coach numbers?

Yes - all are reverse blue/grey livery with the authentic coach numbers of the prototype

Quote from: GWR-Kris on October 07, 2018, 11:02:01 PM
Regarding the power cars 2D-027-001 the part yellow front and 2D-027-002 the full yellow front version?

The part yellow front end was as it ran originally in trials and in passenger service, in the full ten car (or less) configuration (as per the photo on my post on 19 September 2018).
The full yellow front ends were added later when in departmental service.

HTH
Bob

sg

Could someone please clarify what the power cars ran with in departmental use.

Thanks

robert shrives

Sg,
Well that is a big can of worms !! In departmental use they ran on APT test trains quite a lot - often a power car of and APT sandwiched by test coaches.
http://www.prestonstation.org.uk/photoarchive/displayimage.php?pid=2418 as an eample

http://www.traintesting.com/images/Ivo_peters_7-5-78_Bath.jpg - this could be modelled with a minimal purchase from Dapol and the bachman test car.  Even though the image is of Mentor.
Some Rule 1 possible with power cars and any test train vehicles in red/blue livery and also some pairs of power cars only valid.

Robert   

sg

Thanks Robert, just hoping Dapol get this delivered now.

robert shrives

I am sure it will appear as the tooling has been used with eps seen at shows - with all the manufacturers several or multiple projects vie for limited time in work hours for not huge numbers of staff.

Checking artwork, fit, running and now DCC/ sound compatibility all adds to getting the model ready for market.

From what I have seen of the eps it does look very good. Slightly off topic and without creating wavelets I guess getting an apt power car will have to wait on a clever 3D print soul to create a bodyshell for the test trains, I suspect getting any more vehicles will remain Holy grail status.     (gets trench coat and tin helmet and leaves stage left- for 12 hours  at work today.)

Adam1701D

On the subject of the APT, I have checked Shapeways and there is no sign of anything in N. I'm sure that there was an N version in development at some point but can't recall the exact details. It would be an ideal subject for Electra vinyls to take care of the flush glazing and livery.
Best Regards,
Adam Warr
Peterborough, UK

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations