Which reliable loco next ?

Started by MalcolmInN, December 13, 2015, 10:08:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

austinbob

Quote from: silly moo on December 14, 2015, 05:39:59 PM
The newer Farish locos with loco housed coreless motors are very good, I have a standard class 5, a SR class N and a Merchant Navy,  all ran beautifully from the word go and still do.
I also have a Merchant Navy and N class which run beautifully. Others I have are Farish Duchess, Fairburn tank and Midland 4F - all great runners.
:beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Pengi

Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

austinbob

Quote from: Pengi on December 14, 2015, 07:05:59 PM
Try Kato . . .
No doubt reliable Pengi BUT... No lubbly jubbly BR kettles which I'm sure is what MalcolmAl is looking for (I think?)
:) :beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

MalcolmInN

Quote from: austinbob on December 14, 2015, 07:14:26 PM
Try Kato . . .
No doubt reliable Pengi BUT... No lubbly jubbly BR kettles which I'm sure is what MalcolmAl is looking for (I think?)
:thumbsup:
Exactly so Bob :)

Edit of post#1
Quote from: MalcolmAL on December 13, 2015, 10:08:23 PM
I have 3 (simple? 0-6-0) locos, two 4F and a J39 which run well enough but feel the need for /some retail therapy/ a more comprehensive stable such as a express passenger or flagship loco from the steam era.
I should maybe say that I have a tendency to view ex-LMS or ex-LNER with favour
but Rule1 applies - which of you more experienced multi-owners would favour which loco ?

the Managing Directoress wants something 'pretty'  now, and could fancy an ex-GWR type :)

Actually I should have made the title  " reliable out of the box " , after my experiences with 2 other locos at my local emporium some long time ago now.

austinbob

Quote from: MalcolmAL on December 14, 2015, 07:53:36 PM
Quote from: austinbob on December 14, 2015, 07:14:26 PM
Try Kato . . .
:thumbsup:
Exactly so Bob :)

Edit of post#1
Quote from: MalcolmAL on December 13, 2015, 10:08:23 PM
I have 3 (simple? 0-6-0) locos, two 4F and a J39 which run well enough but feel the need for /some retail therapy/ a more comprehensive stable such as a express passenger or flagship loco from the steam era.
I should maybe say that I have a tendency to view ex-LMS or ex-LNER with favour
but Rule1 applies - which of you more experienced multi-owners would favour which loco ?

the Managing Directoress wants something 'pretty'  now, and could fancy an ex-GWR type :)

Actually I should have made the title  " reliable out of the box " , after my experiences with 2 other locos at my local emporium some long time ago now.
How about a blue Tornado - another nice runner. Or Join the Bachmann club and get a Caledonian Fairburn tank. Again - very pretty and a nice runner.

Bob Austin

MalcolmInN

Thanks Bob, good ideas :) I had forgotten about Tornado, not come across much discussion on the forum about it.

Pengi

Kato do make kettles

Link

Don't know if it is what you are looking for - kettles all look the same to me, ugly :P
Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

austinbob

Quote from: Pengi on December 15, 2015, 12:58:50 PM
Kato do make kettles

Link

Don't know if it is what you are looking for - kettles all look the same to me, ugly :P
You're right Pengi. Those kettles in your link are pretty ugly!!  :P.
Its the Brit steamers you should be looking at... Bootiful.
:bounce:

Bob Austin

MalcolmInN

:laughabovepost:

Point of order - they aint kettles, they be industrial scale tea urns

fisherman

the  std  5 locos are a good bet...

they were superb engines ask  the  S & D drivers!!!

they ranged  far and wide  and lasted well into  the   diseasal  era...
<o({{{<<

austinbob

Quote from: fisherman on December 15, 2015, 04:22:23 PM

I agree - mines a great runner although its tender drive and I prefer loco drive.

Bob Austin

Hyperion

Quote from: MalcolmAL on December 15, 2015, 08:56:51 AM
Thanks Bob, good ideas :) I had forgotten about Tornado, not come across much discussion on the forum about it.

I recently got the tender drive tornado in the green livery. Great loco. Not as quiet as the 5MT but still very nice. I can recommend either.
DC or DCC, that is the question.

Roy L S

Quote from: austinbob on December 15, 2015, 04:41:19 PM

I agree - mines a great runner although its tender drive and I prefer loco drive.

Hi Bob

The Farish BR "Standard Five" is not tender driven it is one of the latest coreless motor loco-drives.

Are you confusing it with the tender driven Stanier "Black Five"?

Regards

Roy

austinbob

Quote from: Roy L S on December 15, 2015, 10:27:33 PM
Quote from: austinbob on December 15, 2015, 04:41:19 PM

Hi Bob

The Farish BR "Standard Five" is not tender driven it is one of the latest coreless motor loco-drives.

Are you confusing it with the tender driven Stanier "Black Five"?

Regards

Roy
No confusion. My 5MT is a couple of years old - have they changed the drive system? Maybe I'm wrong about the tender drive - I'll have a check tomorrow.

Bob Austin

Webbo

I had a Farish black 5 (not the more recent BR standard class 5MT) a couple of years ago. Ran horribly out of the box, but gradually became almost acceptably smooth after running in. Being a tender drive, its ability to pull was not the greatest. Even with an extra piece of lead added to the tender, it would barely pull a rake of 6 Farish Stanier coaches up a 1.6% grade without slipping. Since this was my main line, the loco's performance was unacceptable and so it had to go. On the flat it would probably have been fine.

Webbo

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations