Tomix (Thomas the tank sets)

Started by porkie, September 18, 2011, 07:33:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

porkie

My little lad enjoys watching this little blue engine.
After doing a search.
I have come across thomas in n gauge.
Has anyone got tomix loco's and how do you rate them.
Cheers
Porkie 
:Class89:

My Layout build thread.... Milton grove TMD 1988 - 2000 WCML loosly based
www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=57.0

michael

Ive got a James, not run it for years but I seem to remember it being a bit sparadic... :-\...may be wrong tbh. Its bigest problem was that its way over scale. Great for the kids though! My nephew loved it.

EDIT: What about these?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Custom-Thomas-Tank-Engine-Diesel-10-And-Salty-Trains-N-Gauge-/400242773857?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item5d30540f61

porkie

Thanks fella :thumbsup:

I just missed that Item :thumbsdown:

May be I should have a look and see if its possible to repaint a farish loco

longbridge

Tomix locos are super reliable and great runners so if you can get a set go for it :thumbsup:
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

Lawrence

There was one running today at the Cupar show, smooth as you like, it was done by the Granite City Railway Modellers, they may have more info

Claude Dreyfus

burnt fingers

I've got three, Tomas, James and Percy.
I got them for my wee exhibition layout and for my kids who were quite young at the time.
The chassis quality is excellent - they would make a fine basis for a 009 project.
They are very robust. Bounce on carpets. If they do break they seem to click back together.
They are over scale to make it easier for little fingers to manage so you make have to watch for platform clearances. 
I fitted a radio spy camera in the Sodar mail wagon that comes in the Percy set which proves popular at exhibitions.
Beware though kids seem to grow out of Tomas quite fast.

EtchedPixels

Quote from: burnt fingers on September 19, 2011, 07:21:04 PM
Beware though kids seem to grow out of Tomas quite fast.

The real models never had faces on anyway !

I think there is much wisdom in that comment - small children will decide any small blue train is Thomas, any DMU is Daisy etc, and larger small children can then grow out of Thomas but not out of the train.

Now when I was a little 'un the must have accessory was a level crossing to stage train crashes...
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

michael

I have a old Farish Jinty repainted to look like Thomas, I could easliy repaint it to another livery now Im grown up! (I havnt due to its sentimental value) Might be a more cost effective route

porkie

Thanks for all your advices peeps..

Im watching a set on evilbay at the moment 8)

Thanks michael...

If I cant source one at a decent price, I will drop you a pm :thumbsup:

Ollie3440

I've got all 4 they have done (Thomas, Henry, James and Percy) and they are fantastic runners. I have them just for the fun of it and the extra faces that come with percy can be altered to go on the front of my other steamers for a mock thomas day lol

Ollie
Hi I'm Ollie, and I'm a addicted to buying MK1s......

My Previous Exhibition Layout - The Sheaf Valley Railway
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=24.0

My Current Exhibition Layout - Wenlock
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=23228.0

Lawrence

Portpatrick

I concur on running.  I have had a Thomas for some years and it is a fantastic runner at all speeds.  It comes out at exhibitions when the youngsters are looking - to the chagrin of more traditional modellers.  It will be in use on my club's layout at the Berkhamstead show on 8 Oct. 

I also have a Henry but it is not usable on the club layout - it is sufficiently over size it will clout the automatic colour light signals.  Which risks me vbecoming unpopular with the electronics wallah.

kiwi1941

Quote from: oldrailbug on September 18, 2011, 09:03:36 PM
Tomix locos are super reliable and great runners

My crowd-pleasing Thomas has just stopped running. The motor is whirring away but there's no wheel movement. Can they suffer split gears? The gear train looks pretty complicated. Brian
Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty." Wendell Phillips.

Eternal paranoia is the price of liberty: vigilance is not enough. Len Deighton.

Sithlord75

Get yourself an old Poole Era Black 5 and a Fowler tender top and paint green for Henry,  Stepney is done by Dapol, Duck by Farish, Oliver by Dapol and Mavis if you get a black 04 (paint one of the others carefully so as to not much up the wasp stripes) and the Etched Pixels conversion.  Gordon is a Farish A3 with a Fowler tender.  There are a couple of kits for Toby - a 2mm etched one being the nicest I think - and the Langley E2/2 for Thomas himself.  I made an Edward out of a Farish Compound with the piston rod and cylinders removed.  Percy and James are a little bit harded.  One suggestion for James I have seen was to use the Hughes kit for the LBSCR K class 2-6-0 and leave out the cylinders and piston rods but the last one I saw on eBay went for over 200 quid - and was already made up and painted in Southern Green.
Kevin Knight
"Do or do not - there is no try"

My blog thingo can be found here: http://www.sithlordsrailwayblog.blogspot.com

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations