I want to join the club

Started by tgv_obsessed, April 28, 2012, 11:42:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EtchedPixels

Quote from: Karhedron on May 02, 2012, 04:00:45 PM
Dapol are shy of electrics after the poor sales of the 86. It is a loco lots of people clamoured loudly for yet it did not shift particularly well. Perhaps the lack of electric and BR blue liveries hurt sales.

The 86 is available in blue in two numbers

http://www.ekmpowershop7.com/ekmps/shops/cmmodels/dapol-br-blue-class-86-86241-glenfiddich-limited-edition-of-125-models-951-p.asp

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Adam1701D

Dave Jones e-mailed me to confirm just that - there just isn't the demand for overhead locos or units to justify the costs for tooling up a Pendolino in N within the next couple of years.

We can all say "wouldn't it be nice if..." but if there aren't enough folk willing to put their hands in their pockets, it simply isn't viable.

Who knows, if the Baccy 350 is a success, things may change. I have my doubts about how well this unit will sell, as it is confined to the WCML and is fairly recent. IMHO, a 319 would be a much better model commercially.
Best Regards,
Adam Warr
Peterborough, UK

EtchedPixels

Quote from: captainelectra on May 02, 2012, 07:30:56 PM
Who knows, if the Baccy 350 is a success, things may change. I have my doubts about how well this unit will sell, as it is confined to the WCML and is fairly recent. IMHO, a 319 would be a much better model commercially.

I'm happy they've done a 350 and in London Midland but then I'm maybe biased on the subject as it'll go nicely with the 323.

I am surprised they picked an overhead not a 3rd rail unit. I wonder if they'll revisit that later. I imagine there will be a few 350 conversions around too as the 360 and 450 are going to be fairly simple conversions. A few vinyls I suspect 8)
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Adam1701D

The thought had never crossed my mind... :angel:
Best Regards,
Adam Warr
Peterborough, UK

Pengi

Dave Jones e-mailed me to confirm just that - there just isn't the demand for overhead locos or units to justify the costs for tooling up a Pendolino in N within the next couple of years.

We can all say "wouldn't it be nice if..." but if there aren't enough folk willing to put their hands in their pockets, it simply isn't viable.

Really appreciate you doing this Captain Electra. It is not good news  :( but at least we know.
Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

Adam1701D

If any brave soul fancies knocking up some 3D printed Pendolino shells, I'll be happy to do some vinyls.
Best Regards,
Adam Warr
Peterborough, UK

Pengi

If my lottery numbers come up tonight then I'll commission someone to knock up the shells and fit Kato motors etc to them then all they need is your vinyls.

EtchedPixels

Quote from: captainelectra on May 02, 2012, 08:47:05 PM
If any brave soul fancies knocking up some 3D printed Pendolino shells, I'll be happy to do some vinyls.

I've never seen any drawings for the Pendolino - which is a common problem with a lot of modern stock. The manufacturers like to make money from everything they can

Karhedron

IMHO, a 319 would be a much better model commercially.
I agree, quite a range of liveries, over 20 years in service and suitable for both 3rd rail and OHEL. The Bratchell model in 00 costs about £280 for an RTM model and then you still need to add your own motor. Bachmann have shown that a good 4-car MU will sell well at around the £150 mark so that would clearly need to be the target price for anyone who wanted to sell in volumes.

Farish already have the Mk3 suburban bodyshell from the sprinter but don't seem to interested in progressing that particular family. It is a shame as I suspect it may put Dapol off from looking at them. Then again Dapol have a 20m chassis from the 121 so maybe they can be persuaded to do something with it beyond DMUs. They must be looking carefully at Farish's EMU releases. If they continue to sell it can only be a matter of time before they decide they want a piece of the action.
Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

EddieA

Quote from: Pete Mc on April 29, 2012, 04:30:39 AM

my edit... Still,if only and all that,BR had an appropriate development budget for the APT,maybe they would be banging up the East Coast Main Line instead of the horrid looking 225 sets we have running alongside the wonderful hst's.
Now that in my opinion would be something.

Pete
:Class37: :NGaugersRule:

I might be wrong but I think I remember reading many years ago that the IC225 was indeed the production version of the ill fated APT experiment with some of the more 'troublesome' elements removed? (ie articulated bogies, hydro-kinetic brake system and the tilting mechanism although the profile of the 225's allowed the latter to be retro-fitted if/as required...)

The reason that there was no apparent link to the APT was down to 'marketing'.

And if my memory is wrong I apologise in advance.
"I owe the discovery of Uqbar to the meeting of a mirror and an encyclopaedia".
(Jorge Luis Borges - 'El jardin de senderos que se bifurcan' 1941)

Pengi

Got to admit, I probably wouldn't buy a 319 as prefer the sleek style of the Electrostar. However I didn't realise that the 319 has the same top speed and it also set the new London to Brighton fastest speed for the route (I think the Electrostar has beaten it now though). So although it is looks like a slow-coach, it is actually quite fast.

dodger

Quite agree Eddie after all how many operate at 140 mph, even though parts of the ECML were signalled for 140 mph.

EddieA

Hi Dodger

This link seems to back up my memory of the article (I have a vague recollection it was in 'Rail' Magazine?), and also gives an explanation why the IC225 doesn't run to its full potential although I had always assumed it was because it would need functioning tilting mechanism to run at 140/150mph.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/InterCity_225

regards
EddieA

"I owe the discovery of Uqbar to the meeting of a mirror and an encyclopaedia".
(Jorge Luis Borges - 'El jardin de senderos que se bifurcan' 1941)

dodger

Hi Eddie

I could be totally wrong and doing an injustice to many ex-colleagues but I believe the ride of the coaches may have been unsatisafactory at 140 mph.

I know for a fact that the track geometry tolerances were more extreme on the ECML when electrified.

Dodger

Pengi

Just been looking at articles on the Italian NTV service and the AGV in May's Modern Railways. They look to be stunning trains. Would love to see them in N - particularly from Kato.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £35.23
Below Goal: £64.77
Site Currency: GBP
35% 
April Donations