Third rail idea?

Started by 1936ace, April 08, 2012, 11:36:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1936ace

Was thinking of doing "the old main line" on my layout third rail for my class 73 and a good excuss to buy the 4CEP. I was thinking of using Z scale  flexitrack and pulling it apart to use just the rail laid on to of the sleepers.
Does this sound ok and would it look ok and is the third rail on the outside,left or right?

BernardTPM

You'll probably find the Z gauge rail too tall and the head on it is rather wide. The rail itself is sold on its own as Peco recommend it for the third rail in 00 scale. For N you'de be better off using code 40. 2mm Assoc sells it (to members) but you can source it from http://www.finescale.org.uk/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=51#rail (item 4RA101K) and the USA too.

SymonC

Quote from: 1936ace on April 08, 2012, 11:36:32 AM
Was thinking of doing "the old main line" on my layout third rail for my class 73 and a good excuss to buy the 4CEP. I was thinking of using Z scale  flexitrack and pulling it apart to use just the rail laid on to of the sleepers.
Does this sound ok and would it look ok and is the third rail on the outside,left or right?

If I recall correctly on Mersey Rail the 3rd rail is on the inside of the track whilst on the Southern region it is usually (but not always) on the outside (except in stations when it is always the opposite side to the platform)

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong!

tadpole

Probably no very strict rules as to where the third rail was laid, but usually wherever is safest, keeping it away from track/signalling  workers, animals, miscreant kids, drivers stepping out to phone the signalman, or passengers in the case of an evacuation.

So, on double track lines it was usually on the right of each track, i.e., in the middle (or six-foot) of the formation (this is contrary to RailSimulator which seems to have it on the outside). In stations, it would be furthest away from the platform edge.

At crossovers, it would be on the outside, if only for a short distance, as the centre third rail would follow the crossover track. In complicated trackwork, there might be gaps, so 2-car units and locos would have to make sure they have enough momentum to coast through the junction, or risk getting stranded or "gapped".

The juice rail is often painted white at its ends to improve visibility.

I am about to lay my own third rail, so let's share our experiences. I plan to use the method recommended by someone else on here: using insulating rail joiners, cut into quarters and stuck to the sleepers, then you simply feed the rail through. The outer ends of the sleeper need to be flat, which seems to rule out the concrete sleepered stuff.
Two rails good. Three better.

dodger

Outside of stations and Junction areas the 3rd rail used to alternate inside and outside of the so that the ends of each length of 3rd rail could overlap. A change was made on the Bournemouth electirication where the 3rd rail was generally in the six foot with short gaps between each length.

If a track has a platform face on each side the conductor rail will be boarded where it passes through the platform.

There were many places that would gap gap a 2-car unit. With the old 2-Bil and 2-Hal's you could always tell as the lights would go out.

EtchedPixels

Standard Z scale is very coarse and uses code 55 rail with a big fat rail top. Horrible stuff in Z and no better than N code 55. You can get code 40 rail from the 2mmSA if you are a member or from Marcway I believe as well. The 2mm SA also has code 30 bar designed for narrow gauge but which may work out better. Especially once you've seen the light and used code 40 for the running rails either in N or 2fs 8)

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

jonclox

I was thinking of using Z scale  flexitrack and pulling it apart to use just the rail laid on to of the sleepers.
I tried that a couple of years ago. Didnt work for me just cost me a lot of bad language and tearing out of hair.
You might be luckier tho
Good luck :thumbsup:
John A GOM personified
N Gauge can seriously damage your wealth.
Never force things. Just use a bigger hammer
Electronically and spelling dyslexic 
Ruleoneshire
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=17646.0
Re: Grainge & Hodder baseboards
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29659.0

PaulCheffus

Quote from: EtchedPixels on April 08, 2012, 03:00:00 PM

Standard Z scale is very coarse and uses code 55 rail with a big fat rail top. Horrible stuff in Z and no better than N code 55. You can get code 40 rail from the 2mmSA if you are a member or from Marcway I believe as well. The 2mm SA also has code 30 bar designed for narrow gauge but which may work out better. Especially once you've seen the light and used code 40 for the running rails either in N or 2fs 8)

Alan

Hi

Marcway do indeed still sell the code 40 rail I bought some recently.

Cheers

Paul
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.

Workbench thread
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=54708.msg724969#msg724969

Greybeema

:Class414:
Worlds Greatest Suburban Electric - Southern
(Sparky Arcy 3rd Rail Electrickery Traction)

My Layout on NGauge Forum:- http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=12592.msg154278#msg154278

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations