Selling to retailers

Started by Catsick, November 11, 2021, 11:42:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Catsick

Has anyone done this, sold their excess stock to retailers?
What's your experience been like, is it worth it or is it no better than ebay?
You don't know what you can do what you can't

Calnefoxile

If you sell to a retailer, you will not get anywhere near what the Stock is worth, they do have to make a profit after all.

Ebay is just a ball ache, but you will probably get a better price, or you could catalogue it and put it onto the N'porium on here and get a good price for the items also knowing that they are going to a loving home.

I know Chris @Tank  doesn't like 'offers' posts but I'm sure if you ask then someone will PM and give you a guide price for your items.

Regards

Neal.

Catsick

Thanks Neal, giving the n'porium a go, just got some z gauge on there but may list other items once I've gone through what I've got.
Collection only probably shoots myself in the foot. As for ebay not going down that route, or gumtree, facebook etc.

ohlavache

I take this opportunity to add a question to Catsick's one.
What is the typical shipping cost between individuals for 500g from UK to UK?
The items I propose in the N'porium may be too expansive for a British user since I'm in France. Shipping cost from France to UK is 16 € !
In addition, if you know web sites or fora where I could sell Z gauge and OO9 items, I would be interested.
Thanks.

Steven B

UK to UK postage for a small parcel (up to 45x35x16cm) weighing up to 2kg is £3 using second class Royal Mail. If you include insurance, require a signature and next day delivery then the price goes up to about £10.

https://send.royalmail.com/ will give you prices.

I've approached several with regards to selling my older Farish models. In all cases I've been disappointed with the the prices offered - typically around £5 for a coach. If they were selling them on for £10 then OK, but at least one of them applies a 400% mark-up to the price they offer you.

To get the best price for the seller, you're probably looking at eBay but you're at the mercies of whoever is bidding that day. For a more reasonable price then either the N'porium here or Facebook are worth looking at.

Steven B.

njee20

Quote from: ohlavache on November 11, 2021, 01:20:24 PM
I take this opportunity to add a question to Catsick's one.
What is the typical shipping cost between individuals for 500g from UK to UK?
The items I propose in the N'porium may be too expansive for a British user since I'm in France. Shipping cost from France to UK is 16 € !
In addition, if you know web sites or fora where I could sell Z gauge and OO9 items, I would be interested.
Thanks.

To answer the question you've not actually asked I think yes the price for postage on your listings is prohibitive. Paying €16 on a single item is too much IMO, particularly when it's single listings and the postage is disproporionate. I personally don't think the N'Porium is all that good purely for the lack of traffic too, it's being seen by a handful of people.

eBay is still my place of choice for selling. I sold a load of Z gauge stuff on there a while ago, and it all sold well enough.

Quote from: Catsick on November 11, 2021, 11:42:37 AM
Has anyone done this, sold their excess stock to retailers?
What's your experience been like, is it worth it or is it no better than ebay?

The sole reason to do it is for ease. There is no other reason whatsoever. That's a perfectly valid reason, so if that's what you're after then do it. If you want anything approaching maximum value then selling privately will be far more lucrative, but you need to 'price' your time for listing, packing, going to the post office etc.

Is it just Z gauge stuff? How many items? I personally like to group items, so sell wagons in lots of 2-4, which is more managable and offsets postage costs.

Newportnobby

Quote from: njee20 on November 11, 2021, 02:36:13 PM
I personally don't think the N'Porium is all that good purely for the lack of traffic too, it's being seen by a handful of people.

Obviously much depends on what is being sold. Having been approached by a friend to sell his N gauge stuff I ended up selling hundreds of items to 42 buyers off the N'Porium.
I was getting worried someone might think I was running a business from home!

Bigmac

back in the early 90's i was skint--so decided to offer all my stock to a model dealer in portsmouth. He asked me what i had ( 30+ locos plus rolling stock--all N gauge german steam)  and how much i wanted--£1000 cash--all or nothing.
he was in my house 30 mins later--quick look at all the boxed stock--wad of 20's came out --deal done and he was gone.

the last thing i would entertain is selling on ebay--having to deal with people and packing / posting--then the moaners wanting refunds. No way--no thanks.
i used to be indecisive...but now i'm not so sure.

Catsick

All good points and thank you all.
Decided keep it all, its not taking up anymore space than another hobby would  :)

PLD

Quote from: Bigmac on November 11, 2021, 07:06:43 PMthe last thing i would entertain is selling on ebay--having to deal with people and packing / posting--then the moaners wanting refunds. No way--no thanks.
Not forgetting, grumbling on various internet forums that you prices are much more than they're willing to pay...  ;) :-\

geofff

I've only used Ebay, but I did get £90 for a used Battle of Britain. I was offered £15 from Rails for another item and got £35 on Ebay. You do have to take into account their fees (about 15%). The only small downside is getting enough packing materials and queuing at the post office to post the item.

PGN

Dealers in the collectors' markets have to make a living, as has already been said.

My other collecting interest is coins ... and for a high grade collectable coin (I'm talking things with a 3-figure price tag or better) a dealer will pay you about 50% of what they would sell it for. Lower grade stuff, which they might have on their books for years without selling, they generally won't touch - the commercial risk is too great.

If you know your model shop proprietor well, then they might be prepared to let you put your stuff in their second-hand cabinet and sell it on commission for you. This has several attractions for them - the appearance of a well-stocked shop without having to tie up their own working capital to achieve it for you. My friendly model shop proprietor has said he's happy to do this for me provided he is agreeable to the asking prices (not interested, for obvious reasons, in filling up his cabinet with stuff that won't sell at the prices I'm asking) for a commission of 25% of the price achieved (again, he expects to be given a certain leeway to accept lower offers ... )
Pre-Grouping: the best of all possible worlds!

I would rather build a model which is wrong but "looks right" than a model which is right but "looks wrong".

Catsick

All good points, don't know the local stockists that well as only dealt with via mail order (Hattons).  I really need to sort through the N gauge stuff as what I've got is overkill really, only snag is listing it as collection only shoots myself in the foot lol
But will possibly get some items listed  here if anyone local is interested.

Gordon

Quote from: geofff on November 18, 2021, 01:09:23 PM
. The only small downside is getting enough packing materials and queuing at the post office to post the item.

Despite ebay's drawbacks, I still feel it represents a bigger market of potential purchasers than other methods.

As for "queueing at the post office", this can now be a thing of the past if one so chooses. A combination of 'already in development' and 'pandemic-driven' changes have made posting ebay packages much easier, namely:

* - the introduction of parcel postboxes
* - collection from your door by Royal Mail
* - DHL and other companies 'in corner shop' dispatch arrangements 
Sometime Publicity Officer, N Gauge Society

Swiss Railways Consultant
French Railways Consultant
European railway expert

First British N loco (in 1972): Farish GER Holden tank!
Modelling French N gauge since 1975
Modelling Swiss and German N gauge since 1971

Catsick

This attempt drew to an unsuccesul close. Almost scammed on ebay so that avenue got closed an d a quote back from retailers as a trial was far from appeling. So decided to keep it all. Wasn't prepared to post any which probably didn't help lol

I'd still consider this site as a possibility though  :)

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations