DJ Models class 17 Clayton

Started by Dalek, February 03, 2018, 02:03:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carmont

Quote from: belstone on February 06, 2018, 05:55:54 PM
Quote from: Snowwolflair on February 06, 2018, 03:00:15 PM

Just checked and you can order

N Gauge N17-007T D8616 BR Green SYWP (powered) + D8561 BR Green SYWP (Dummy) Twin Pack - £149.95

That's unfortunate.  These little beasts had two different control systems depending on who built them.  8616 was Beyer Peacock built (blue star) and 8561 was Clayton (red diamond).  The only time they would have run together was when one had failed and was being dragged to works for attention by the other. (Which happened rather a lot with Class 17s.)

Perhaps this is something that would be worth dropping a PM to Dave about, in order he can possibly change the number before it's too late, if that's the case?

Steven B

Quote from: belstone on February 06, 2018, 05:55:54 PM
Quote from: Snowwolflair on February 06, 2018, 03:00:15 PM
Just checked and you can order
N Gauge N17-007T D8616 BR Green SYWP (powered) + D8561 BR Green SYWP (Dummy) Twin Pack - £149.95

That's unfortunate.  These little beasts had two different control systems depending on who built them.  8616 was Beyer Peacock built (blue star) and 8561 was Clayton (red diamond).  The only time they would have run together was when one had failed and was being dragged to works for attention by the other. (Which happened rather a lot with Class 17s.)

A red-diamond and blue-star could be used together to haul a train but they'd each need a driver - just as with double heading a train with steam locos.

Steven B.

belstone

Quote from: Steven B on February 07, 2018, 09:21:52 AM

A red-diamond and blue-star could be used together to haul a train but they'd each need a driver - just as with double heading a train with steam locos.

Steven B.

I read last night that when Claytons were used in pairs on the Waverley Route they were often double-manned even when they had compatible control equipment, which probably wiped out the cost savings from dieselisation.  At the time (mid 1960s) British Rail was trying to make a financial case for closing the line.  Hmmm.

Snowwolflair

DJ invoices are out this morning, looking forward to progress.

belstone

Quote from: Lindi on February 08, 2018, 10:42:32 AM

That is what has been widely documented in books (and Wikipedia). When built they were all were red diamond, however a number were converted to blue star multiple working to allow them to work with other classes of locomotives. The only way to check is which type of multiple working thay had is through photographic evidence of the date/time you are modelling.

Thanks for that, happy to be corrected.  The Clayton saga just gets worse and worse.  Built with a non-standard MW system, then the expense of converting them to blue star, and scrapped shortly afterwards. Poor taxpayers :(

Richard

Steven B

Having non-standard multiple working equipment (i.e. not the most common Blue-Star) isn't grounds for failure of a class:

A class 60 can only work in multiple with other class 60s. Similarly with class 50s. A class 56 could work in multiple with other clas 56s or a 58 but nothing else.

Some classes such as the Westerns and many/most of the class 47s were never fitted with multiple working equipment but managed a successful working life.

Steven B.

Dalek

Quote from: Snowwolflair on February 09, 2018, 11:46:48 AM
DJ invoices are out this morning, looking forward to progress.

Got and paid mine  :bounce:

Craig

Nighthawk

Received my invoice this afternoon and have paid also.
Looking forward to its rapid progress!

John D

Bingley Hall

The 1966 Combined Volume shows 8500-8587 as red diamond and 8588-8616 as blue star.

I think it was always thus.

Thorpe Parva

I'm aware that most of the Class were allocated to Scotland & NE England but a few were allocated to the Sheffield area.

I can't find any reference to them working south of Sheffield to the East Midlands (Nottingham/Leicester/Derby etc.). Does anyone have info that suggest that they were seen this far south?

DJM Dave

Quote from: Thorpe Parva on February 09, 2018, 04:13:00 PM
I'm aware that most of the Class were allocated to Scotland & NE England but a few were allocated to the Sheffield area.

I can't find any reference to them working south of Sheffield to the East Midlands (Nottingham/Leicester/Derby etc.). Does anyone have info that suggest that they were seen this far south?

Allocated to Barrow Hill, so would have ventured onwards to Toton i'd Have imagined, possibly a lot further afield than that too.
For example, the RTC one went to lime street, and was based in Winsford for a while, so if you can find a picture of one at 'derby your laughing I think.
N gauge Model Railway locomotive and rolling stock manufacturer.

xm607

Some were stored at Derby early on whilst being rectified at Claytons works, I believe.
Steve.

koyli55002

Dalek

They are everywhere now, washing machines, dustbins, fridges etc  :smiley-laughing:

martyn

'British Rail fleet survey vol 4' by B Haresnape has a photo of at least five in St Andrew's yard, DERBY.

Unfortunately, they were stored before even being released to traffic, prior to investigation of faults.

I do remember seeing one in a private yard in Hemel Hempstead around 1974/75. I may even have a long lost photo somewhere.......

Martyn

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £35.23
Below Goal: £64.77
Site Currency: GBP
35% 
April Donations