Plausible or not?

Started by Newportnobby, June 26, 2020, 10:39:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NGS-PO

Quote from: Newportnobby on June 26, 2020, 02:23:12 PM
Quote from: Steven B on June 26, 2020, 02:11:43 PM

Note the distinct lack of catering vehicles and all first class vehicles except for the Sleeper Firsts (SLF).

Thanks for that, Steven. The journey I'm suggesting is a lot longer than Glasgow - St.Pancras and I can only speak for myself but when I rise in the morning a coffee and breakfast is high on my priority list!! :food:

From all the above it looks like, contrary to the opinion of many, I'm not completely delusional :laugh3:

It being a sleeper, there would only be time for a night cap or light snack before bed,  and the train would arrive before Breakfast could plausibly be served. 
If you know someone who's depressed, please resolve never to ask them why. Depression isn't a straightforward response to a bad situation; depression just is, like the weather.Try to understand the blackness, lethargy, hopelessness, and loneliness they're going through. Be there for them when they come through the other side. It's hard to be a friend to someone who's depressed, but it is one of the kindest, noblest, and best things you will ever do."

(PLEASE NOTE: Unless where obviously posting on behalf of the NGS, all posts and views are my own and not connected/endorsed by the Society.)

Newportnobby

Thanks again, Scott. Would a Farish southern PLV (374-416) be a substitute for the Van 'C' as they look fairly similar to me?

NGS-PO

Quote from: Newportnobby on June 26, 2020, 04:22:25 PM
Thanks again, Scott. Would a Farish southern PLV (374-416) be a substitute for the Van 'C' as they look fairly similar to me?

It depends. If you're running the train with CCTs at the rear, then the BY was a brake vehicle with a gaurd's compartment, the PMV was just a parcel/baggage/merchandise van without a brake, so no.

But if you're not running the CCTs at the rear and you have BGs or BSK or whatever at the rear, then a PMV should be fine.

Best

Scott.
If you know someone who's depressed, please resolve never to ask them why. Depression isn't a straightforward response to a bad situation; depression just is, like the weather.Try to understand the blackness, lethargy, hopelessness, and loneliness they're going through. Be there for them when they come through the other side. It's hard to be a friend to someone who's depressed, but it is one of the kindest, noblest, and best things you will ever do."

(PLEASE NOTE: Unless where obviously posting on behalf of the NGS, all posts and views are my own and not connected/endorsed by the Society.)

crewearpley40

Mick. I'm sure the photo I supplied may provide clues on the stock used. Couple of leads https://www.derbysulzers.com/peakseverywhere.html . Its plausible and your formation looks good. The 12 Vans used   may have been south of the midlands but 2 brake coaches would suffice in my opinion

NGS-PO

Quote from: crewearpley40 on June 26, 2020, 05:06:23 PM
Mick. I'm sure the photo I supplied may provide clues on the stock used. Couple of leads https://www.derbysulzers.com/peakseverywhere.html . Its plausible and your formation looks good. The 12 Vans used   may have been south of the midlands but 2 brake coaches would suffice in my opinion

The CCTs were not only from south of the midlands, they were on the train from the starting point of St Enoch (or later Stirling) all the way to Newhaven since, as I said, this was a car sleeper train and the cars were conveyed in the CCTs, hence the need for so many.

Best

Scott.

crewearpley40

Ah ok Scott. That's clarified that . The luggage van . Now I know why mick needs or wants a restaurant car. It's the photo of the Jubilee double heading the Scot that caught my attention thus the need to haul such a heavy load. Appreciate the clarification. Chris

martyn

From my limited travelling on, and photos of, Motorail services the passenger part of the train was at the front and the cars, whether carflats or CCTs at the back.

Martyn

Train Waiting

Quote from: Newportnobby on June 26, 2020, 10:39:19 AM
Having purchased 3 MK1 sleeper carriages thoughts have turned to how a sleeper train could be seen in Oxfordshire. My proposed scenario is this:
In the early 1960s a sleeper train ran from Glasgow to the south coast (Bournemouth maybe) with the usual route being south from Glasgow to Birmingham, down to Bristol and thence via the S & D to Bournemouth, However, the massive refurb of New Street station pushed the train further south to Bletchley, across to Oxford and thence down to Bournemouth. Loco would have been LMR to Oxford and then SR to Bournemouth, with the proposed train formation being:-

BG-CK-RU-SLF-SLSTP-SLSTP-CK-BCK (I sneaked a look on RMWeb = sorry)

I know restaurant cars were not often seen on sleeper trains but I want my passengers to have a decent breakfast! ;D

What percentage plausibility do you give this please?

I think about 97% plausibility, Mick.  I used to travel on Anglo sleeper services a fair bit.  I seem to recall that the sleepers were one side of the bar carriage and the non-sleeper carriages were the other side in order to stop those who were asleep being woken by drunks, various.  However, one could still be woken by drunks going back to their First Class berth.  Often MPs.  Members of Parliament, of course; Redcaps never get drunk.  On the old G&SW section the going rate to the guard for a compartment of one's own in the 'Paddy' during the 1970s was £5.00.  For two people travelling this was less than a sleeper berth.

I'd go for it.

Best wishes.

John
Please visit us at www.poppingham.com

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

guest311

"Redcaps never get drunk."

you sure about that ?

perhaps they just do it in the Provost club rather than the NAAFI  :beers:

Newportnobby

Quote from: Train Waiting on June 26, 2020, 06:18:02 PM

I think about 97% plausibility, Mick.

Wow! Thanks, John. I'd have taken even just 10% so that just clinches the whole thing!
I have 4 x CCTs (2 x maroon and 2 x green) so they'll have to do

crewearpley40

Here is the site arrochogaidh mentions ..... https://www.derbysulzers.com/peakseverywhere.html     seems the service followed the route of what was the Thames Clyde express back in the day . Mick. I would go with your ideas and run your own trains, formation. I've had a look at  http://www.8dassociation.btck.co.uk/ @Newportnobby ,mick there was c 1964 to 67 a 2055 hours Birkenhead sleeper which ran via chester, Wrexham, shrewsbury  , Wolverhampton low level  birmingham snow hill, banbury, oxford. A portion was added at chester which ran from north of preston, location unknown which ran via warrington, frodsham to chester. The service ran to oxford so guess a castle from the gwr or black 5, royal scot  or green 45 or 47 . Any coaches could be a  composite sleeper, ck, bsk  , 3 sk, bg, guv , siphons on the portion  from the wirral, Bck,ck, self, slstp x 2  cm, bsk or bck on the 2and portion. Will try and hunt the Stirling newhaven formation

PGN

I feel a great sense of deprivation, having missed the heyday of the sleeper car services.

At the same time, I feel a immensely privileged to have travelled more than once on all three of the sleeper car services which remained into the 21st century ... and the only destination I haven't visited by sleeper is Aberdeen.
Pre-Grouping: the best of all possible worlds!

I would rather build a model which is wrong but "looks right" than a model which is right but "looks wrong".

Bealman

You didn't get to see much scenery, then.  ;)
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

PGN

On the contrary, Bealman ... Inverness or Fort William sleeper was usually used to get to my start point of the Great Outdoors Challenge, and was followed by two weeks of walking through some of the most amazing scenery the world has to offer!

Return was usually on the 10.50 from Montrose to King's Cross ... a great scenic journey in its own right, albeit usually tinged by a spot of the post-Challenge blues.
Pre-Grouping: the best of all possible worlds!

I would rather build a model which is wrong but "looks right" than a model which is right but "looks wrong".

The Q

Going on the Rule 1 routing,
if BR and then Beeching hadn't closed the Midland and South Western Junction Railway plus Andover and Redbridge Railway respectively, then a route of Scotland- Birmingham- Cheltenham- Swindon-Andover- Southampton was quite possible..

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations