Dapol stand at Alexandra Palace

Started by jamespetts, March 24, 2019, 11:44:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidinyork

Quote from: njee20 on March 28, 2019, 10:10:51 AM
Isn't this a slam door buffet/business zone coach...?

I think we've been through this before!

They started out with slam doors, but the plug doors were fitted well before the 68s arrived on the scene. Those photos show them when they were still slam-door.

In the case of the buffets, they still retain the slam doors at the counter end only, but only for emergency use. The other end, nearest the DVT, is fitted with plug doors.

So if Dapol were to do the silver Chiltern Mk3s in their slam-door form, the only corect loco would be the 67. Hence requests for the one remaining slam-door set (which was in BR blue and grey when the 68s arrived, and is now in Chiltern silver and white), as that is correct for the 68s. It does not have a buffet and the coaches are all TSOs (although two remain numbered in the FO range).

Hope that clarifies it!

njee20

Ah ha, my apologies! Yes I forgot that nuance of the the 68s not being 'original'.

crewearpley40

in response to the above, In the case of the buffets, they still retain the slam doors at the counter end only, but only for emergency use - i would also add - andfor catering suppliers eg rail gourmet, etc to deliver / de stock the coaches. many of their staff are working at the same time as chiltern staff.

davidinyork

Quote from: crewearpley40 on March 28, 2019, 10:52:08 AM
in response to the above, In the case of the buffets, they still retain the slam doors at the counter end only, but only for emergency use - i would also add - andfor catering suppliers eg rail gourmet, etc to deliver / de stock the coaches. many of their staff are working at the same time as chiltern staff.

Have Chiltern reintroduced catering on trains then? Two or three years ago they completely axed it.

crewearpley40

I stand corrected chiltern stopped catering may 20, 2017 due to number of factors. Im in other toc mode

davidinyork

Quote from: crewearpley40 on March 28, 2019, 11:33:17 AM
I stand corrected chiltern stopped catering may 20, 2017 due to number of factors. Im in other toc mode

On HSTs, the counter-end buffet doors are for emergency and staff use only and I think always have been. They certainly do use them for loading and unloading catering trolleys - see if regularly in the evenings at Leeds.

Power-door HSTs mostly don't have buffets as such - none on the GW sets do, and the XC ones have a small catering area, but with seating between it and the doors on both sides so all the doors are passenger doors.

The Scotrail sets are having a small buffet counter area installed at one end of what was a TF. The slam doors do remain at that end, so I assume they will be used for loading and unloading.

crewearpley40

That was what i meant by in another toc mode. East coast, grand central hsts

johnlambert

Quote from: bluedepot on March 26, 2019, 10:24:14 PM
cheers for 117 cad karhedron - it looks excellent

well the 3 way fight is well and truly on then... dapol, farish or revolution... who will go for the most requested 1st gen dmu!

tim

It looks like a tricky situation for each manufacturer. Any of them could do it, but might be reluctant in case another can get to the market sooner.

Whoever does, will need to tool up bodies, interiors, glazing and, for the trailers,  underframes. It's not a trivial undertaking.

That said, funds permitting, I'd have at least 4 sets.

Bob G

I would have four sets - two in green/SYP, two in blue.

Funded by selling my 3 car 108s, which are pretending to be 117s. The demand for the centre car in the 108 is, i believe, quite high.

Bob

nookfield

Quote from: Bob G on March 31, 2019, 11:31:32 AM
The demand for the centre car in the 108 is, i believe, quite high.

Until Farish release the announced re-run of the 3 car 108

Bob G

Quote from: nookfield on March 31, 2019, 12:13:59 PM
Quote from: Bob G on March 31, 2019, 11:31:32 AM
The demand for the centre car in the 108 is, i believe, quite high.

Until Farish release the announced re-run of the 3 car 108

I don't believe they will make them any more - after this year's batch - because as you know, prices are going through the roof and many people are making do with a two car DMU, or as has been discussed on here, dont have the room for a 3-car DMU.
There has not been a 3-car 101 since the first launch in 2011, although we have had 2-car 101s reissued
And there has not been any 3-car 108s since 2010 (but there will be some this year) although we have had 2-car 108s reissued too.
On the second generation front, most are 2-car DMUs apart from the 168 from 2006.
We've not had a 3-car 159 since 2005, or a Chiltern 168 since 2006, but we've had a lot of 170 2-car DMUs.
The new 158 has been announced but no sign of a 159...

OK its not a definitive NO from Farish but it's the same discussion that Triang had with itself when they brought out their 2-car EMU.
They had a 3-car DMU (the 101) but they didn't think punters could afford the cost of a 3-car EMU.

Just a thought...

Bob

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations