Secondhand values

Started by d-a-n, January 04, 2015, 08:09:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnlambert

Quote from: PLD on January 04, 2015, 08:39:21 PM
It depends... With todays small-batch production, certain liveries or identities that are particularly saught after fetch a higher price 2nd hand than others; some reaching close to their original retail price.

Prime examples were LMR Crimson Jubilees which at one point were fetching up to £30 more than BR Green ones, and Black 08s which seem to fetch around £10-15 more than others.

What type/livery was your DMU? I'm not aware of anything other than a few special editions that are currently trading at any notable premium...

I'd have thought that BR Green DMUs would realise the best values since they sell out the fastest and don't seem to come up for sale very often.

Although I don't view my models as an investment it is nice to think that they would be worth something if the worst happened and I needed to sell some to raise a bit of cash.

Trainfish

Quote from: austinbob on January 05, 2015, 08:25:46 AM
Quote from: Trainfish on January 04, 2015, 11:42:13 PM
Do they still have that funny looking little bloke who stands by the door and watches you constantly to make sure you don't steal anything? Apologies if he's a good friend of yours but he is a funny looking little bloke.
I haven't seen him for a few months now - I think he was one of Bob's little helpers and definitely not watching to see if you steal anything.  ;D

A bit like one of Santa's elves then? He probably wasn't watching for thieves, he just gave that impression the way he'd stay near the door especially if you were looking in the N gauge cabinet just inside the door on the left.

Luke, you're right, I never did manage to steal anything. Not that I would try to you understand.
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

mark100

Quote from: d-a-n on January 04, 2015, 08:09:42 PM
I recently part-exchanged a DMU in a shop and was surprised at how much of the cost was recovered considering the fact you'll never get top dollar from a selling it in this way.
Some of the prices in the secondhand section on here surprise me, being very close to what you can just buy it for new. I've even seen a few things exceeding the cost that it would be from a retailler!

Do you find that newer, looked after N gauge holds it's value quite well? I understand it'll never be an investment but having had cars and cameras for a hobby, it's surprising to see our little models hold so much value.
I had all the space 1999 Dinky Eagle transporters and Thunderbird stuff when i was younger and my Mum put it all in a box one day and gave it to her friends son,
I also had Leicester city football programme's from 1982 up to 1995 and gave them to a lad in our Village,

Then Ebay was formed and i have been banging my head ever since.

Mark
You cant get better than a Betta Fish

DesertHound

Quote from: mark100 on January 05, 2015, 03:18:47 PM
Quote from: d-a-n on January 04, 2015, 08:09:42 PM
I recently part-exchanged a DMU in a shop and was surprised at how much of the cost was recovered considering the fact you'll never get top dollar from a selling it in this way.
Some of the prices in the secondhand section on here surprise me, being very close to what you can just buy it for new. I've even seen a few things exceeding the cost that it would be from a retailler!

Do you find that newer, looked after N gauge holds it's value quite well? I understand it'll never be an investment but having had cars and cameras for a hobby, it's surprising to see our little models hold so much value.
I had all the space 1999 Dinky Eagle transporters and Thunderbird stuff when i was younger and my Mum put it all in a box one day and gave it to her friends son,
I also had Leicester city football programme's from 1982 up to 1995 and gave them to a lad in our Village,

Then Ebay was formed and i have been banging my head ever since.

Mark

Ah well Mark, look at it this way, you probably kept someone's heating bill down that year by passing on all those Leicester City programmes  :laughabovepost:
Visit www.thefarishshed.com for all things Poole Farish and have the confidence to look under the bonnet of your locos!

d-a-n

Quote from: PLD on January 04, 2015, 08:39:21 PM
What type/livery was your DMU? I'm not aware of anything other than a few special editions that are currently trading at any notable premium...

Just a boggo blue grey one!

stevieboy

I had a clear out last year, on average (before eBay fee deduction) I experienced that boxed, mint items fetched around 75-85% of original cost.

Discontinued boxed, mint items fetched over 90% and in some cases over 100%.

Nice to know there's a 'bank' of money sat there if needs must (although some stock is marked off limits).

Sea Mills

Has anyone experience of selling a collection to the likes of Hattons or Rails?  I'm interested in how they compare with going to your local shop, especially if you are thinking about trading-in for other models.   Don't think I can face ebay or individual sales.

DELETED

Quote from: Sea Mills on January 05, 2015, 09:01:12 PM
Has anyone experience of selling a collection to the likes of Hattons or Rails?  I'm interested in how they compare with going to your local shop, especially if you are thinking about trading-in for other models.   Don't think I can face ebay or individual sales.

I sold a batch to Hattons late last year.  I knew the 2nd hand value so was pretty prepped.  Was quite surprised however how little they offered compared to how much they appeared on the web site the next day though!!!!

I've always found Hattons expensive though they do have the stock.  I'm a bit miffed with them over second-hand though: I had to return something which was appalling and after a 400 mile drive I made the excuse to go in and see some 2nd hand stuff (with about £300 worth of in mind off the website)...........................Just to be found it's not available in the shop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  They apparently have a separate warehouse, it can all be brought to the shop for viewing if you say beforehand , but they don't advertise this!  That's not good enough, I thought I was seeing before I bought -otherwise no better than ebay.

I did ask them very politely on e-mail afterwards to include a statement on their website saying pretty much all the n-gauge used stock was off-site but I just got a fob-off e-mail back.  I had cash in hand to see it running first (not unreasonable) -but just walked out the shop as other sources are just as good / cheaper.  I was very disappointed -they're not the homage I thought they were.

I've bought a few things off Rails of Sheffield before via E-Bay, my best buyer so far to be honest has been OO Heaven on E-Bay.

...it's all a lottery anyway -I just tested 4 locos I bought over a year ago from reputable sources and if I had the chance to test them at the time, 3 would have gone back! Stuck with the duds now.

Rabbitaway

Hi All

A few points here

Hatton's are very expensive for their second hand items so they are selling on their reputation. It is very frustrating that they mix their second hand with their new items on the web site as I am only looking for new stock and it only goes to show how over priced the second hand items are!

For new items in general Hatton's are now not any cheaper than a competitive retailer and this may be down to the loss of The Signal Box. Noted that Model Railways Direct may be taking this place in the market as they do good deals in their sales promotions and wagons and coaches are better priced than Hatton's

I have never found Rails of Sheffield price competitive but do understand their good level of service but Hatton's are now on par with them on price

The thing I do not understand is the reluctance of some people to buy on e-bay, yes a lot of over bid items but some significant bargains if you keep sharp. 70% of my stock bought of e-bay and the odd duffer is just sent back to the seller or a deal done on a part refund. Your are just as likely to get a duff loco new which will need to be sent back away!

The rule I apply to e-bay is pay up to about 60% of price charged by the box shifters for an as new item 

:confused1:

austinbob

Quote from: Rabbitaway on January 07, 2015, 04:09:01 PM
The thing I do not understand is the reluctance of some people to buy on e-bay, yes a lot of over bid items but some significant bargains if you keep sharp. 70% of my stock bought of e-bay and the odd duffer is just sent back to the seller or a deal done on a part refund. Your are just as likely to get a duff loco new which will need to be sent back away!

The rule I apply to e-bay is pay up to about 60% of price charged by the box shifters for an as new item 
I think the reluctance to use ebay is probably due to the horror stories you read about things like items not being delivered after payment is made; Difficulty in getting ebay to sort out payment and delivery errors; Difficulty in getting refunds after items are returned. etc. etc.

I am pretty computer savvy having grown up with them since the PC first appeared for public consumption and I buy nearly everything N gauge and loads of other stuff on the internet but I don't feel that I trust ebay. Probably unfounded but there you are - I'm sure there are other members of this forum who may feel the same. :hmmm:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

d-a-n

Quote from: austinbob on January 07, 2015, 04:47:10 PM
Quote from: Rabbitaway on January 07, 2015, 04:09:01 PM

I think the reluctance to use ebay is probably due to the horror stories you read about things like items not being delivered after payment is made; Difficulty in getting ebay to sort out payment and delivery errors; Difficulty in getting refunds after items are returned. etc. etc.

I am pretty computer savvy having grown up with them since the PC first appeared for public consumption and I buy nearly everything N gauge and loads of other stuff on the internet but I don't feel that I trust ebay. Probably unfounded but there you are - I'm sure there are other members of this forum who may feel the same. :hmmm:

Nail. Head. Correct AustinBob.

Rabbitaway

Hi

Dishonesty on e-bay can be up setting, I may just have been lucky but the majority of sellers are genuine and I have experienced sellers going beyond what they needed to do when things go wrong

Good sellers are very protective of their feedback rating and this is always a good indicator

I did buy a loco that failed after a day and the seller refunded within an hour and said just to keep the loco!

sparky

I can't see any problem buying on eBay...just buy from top rated sellers...if you have a problem (which in my last 174 transactions i have had none!)...just raise a claim...most people are honest like you and I !......only problem is it is too easy to buy!

austinbob

Quote from: sparky on January 07, 2015, 07:02:36 PM
I can't see any problem buying on eBay...just buy from top rated sellers...if you have a problem (which in my last 174 transactions i have had none!)...just raise a claim...most people are honest like you and I !......only problem is it is too easy to buy!

Sparky you're probably right - might try it on something small first eh!
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Skyline2uk

QuoteNoted that Model Railways Direct may be taking this place in the market as they do good deals in their sales promotions

Good to see a positive mention of MRD. I go to them first online and then drive down the M5 to visit if they are, say, within a fiver after postage on the opposition.

Well stocked shop and their service is always very polite. Same goes for their show presence, the lady who sold me some wagons on their Warley stand this year could not have been more helpful. Plus on that occasion they undercut Dapol  :thumbsup:

Not affiliated in any way, just a happy customer.

Skyline2uk

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations