Platform and Street Lights

Started by port perran, December 27, 2013, 07:51:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

port perran

As you may know, electrics and I don't mix at all (it is a completely black hole as far as I'm concerned) but I'd like to install street & platform lights and also install (eventually) lights in buildings.
I had a set of street lights for Christmas but..........how do I wire them up to make them work ? What do I need ?
They are 12v ...........please respond in completely "non technical" terms !
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

EtchedPixels

LED or bulb lights ?

LED is slightly more complicated but not a lot.
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

port perran

ozzie Bill.

If you have any packaging, can you please post all the "tech" details as this will help in giving the answer. Bill.

scotsoft

A picture would help greatly  ;)

cheers John.

upnick

Another idea  i  used with these  Ratio   lights .............   the  main   part of the  streetlamp  has had  brass  tube added with  SMD's   in  the  light part  on motor wind wire,   the light   over the  doors is  also an  SMD  ;)

port perran

Here's the picture....

They came from Joe Kyte and all it says on the packet is 12v.
Can I just wire them to a battery or can I use a controller - if so do I need something complicated like a resistor ?

scotsoft

I am sure those are bulbs so all you need do is apply 12V for them to illuminate  ;)

cheers John.

Jerry Howlett

Quote from: port perran on December 28, 2013, 10:12:40 AM
Here's the picture....

They came from Joe Kyte and all it says on the packet is 12v.
Can I just wire them to a battery or can I use a controller - if so do I need something complicated like a resistor ?

I have emailed Joe kyte in the past and got a very rapid response if in doubt try him.

Jerry
Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

Oldun

Never take Life too serious, we are never going to make it out alive

Chocolate comes from cocoa which is a tree ... that makes it a plant which means ... chocolate is Salad !!!

weave

Hi Port Perran,

Glad you posted this as am crap at electrics too and was thinking about getting some lights for platforms and a seafront promenade.

No offence to the guys who have answered but unless I'm getting it wrong, I'm still in the dark (literally). Don't want to answer for you but certainly for me, need a real 'idiot's guide' which is what I thought you asked for.

I'm a gardener and if someone asked about 'how to prune roses' I wouldn't answer 'buy some secateurs and prune them'.

Prob being unfair. Got man flu so bit tetchy. Happy Christmas everyone. Good luck with the lights and hope I can learn too.

Cheers weave

port perran

I'm glad I'm not alone because I too am none the wiser.
Is there (as Weave suggests) a guide to this.
I still have no real idea as to how to make the lights work I'm afraid (but thanks to those who have replied anyway).

Agrippa

It's basically the same as Xmas treelights with bulbs. One wire to the + and one to the -
and join the lights in a chain. (In series) . I can't remember the effect of several bulbs if they will give full brightness, forgotten the formula years ago but try a dry run on the bulbs with
crocodile clips to see the effect before fitting them to the layout. If you don't want to do
wiring you could always use fibre optics and only 1 bulb would be needed.
Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

NeMo

Quote from: Agrippa on December 28, 2013, 05:18:51 PM
I can't remember the effect of several bulbs if they will give full brightness, forgotten the formula years ago...
There's not really a formula as such. Just the fact that *when in series* each component shares the voltage equally assuming each component is identical. So if you have 16 volts:

• One bulb would get 16 Volts
  • Two bulbs would get 8 Volts each
  • Three bulbs would get 5.3 Volts each
  • Four would get 4 Volts, and so on...
So as you add each bulb to the series, the bulbs get dimmer.

That's why Christmas tree bulbs (rated at 12 Volts) work off mains voltage (about 230-240 Volts). On their own, mains would blow them up (dramatically, I'd expect) but in groups of 20 per series, they're fine. That is, of course, why the whole chain of bulbs going out when one bulb is removed (or faulty) is a design feature, not a flaw!

Cheers, NeMo
(Former NGS Journal Editor)

Leo1961

Forgive the simplicity of the sketch below, but you did say keep it simple  :thumbsup:

So you provide the 12 volt power supply from your controller if it has a spare one, or any 12 volt uncontrolled supply that you may have lying around ( e.g. old phone chargers etc ) and then with a simple on/off switch you can control the lights being illuminated or off.  If you want to experiment with different levels of bulb brightness then just replace the switch with a potentiometer from Maplins ( other electronic supply shops are available  ;) ).

Can't think of how to make it any simpler, so good luck  :)

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations