Are we too impatient nowadays?

Started by Madann01, January 17, 2020, 10:44:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madann01

Spent most of yesterday looking to purchase some fairly basic items, which would allow me to continue with the next phase of constucting my layout, I was supprised to find the amount of items either 'out of stock', 'on order' or 'Pre-order',
  I can understand locos and the like being advertised ahead of release and pre ordered, but these don't affect the construction process. I am very much an impulse modeller and once deciding to have a session or two I would like to think I could acquire goods fairly quickly.
   There are not many model shops locally that stock n gauge in any great volume, and rely mainly on ordering  from the retailers on-line, but all of these seem to be struggling to supply certain items. I assume that this is a manufacturer's issue as the same items seem to be out of stock or on order at most retailers,
  I finally put together a order on line late last evening, paid for it, and expecting to receive within 3-4 days, but I awoke to find a email this morning explaining that my order would be dispatched in 10-14 days as some items were ' out of stock'.
  A very, very, frustrating hobby
    :(

Newportnobby

Quote from: Madann01 on January 17, 2020, 10:44:52 AM

I finally put together a order on line late last evening, paid for it, and expecting to receive within 3-4 days, but I awoke to find a email this morning explaining that my order would be dispatched in 10-14 days as some items were ' out of stock'.

That's the worst bit in my book. I've always been of the opinion many shops (and not just model shops) list items they actually have no stock of. Sometimes, even worse, they state they have stock and then you find they don't. I've lost count with, for example, Hattons by seeing the item there on Google and when you actually go to their site it says 'Is the item in stock - no'
Grrrrr :unimpressed:

Snowwolflair

I think the problem is the shops are not holding stock.  As far as they are concerned it is dead money especially when wholesalers will promise 48 hour delivery.

I use Gaugemaster as the bell weather, as a retailer and wholesaler if they are out of stock there is probably a manufacturer availability problem.

The other thing to bear in mind is that almost all N gauge products are batch produced.  I use TOMIX power chassis in my hand made models and they make them on a two year production cycle so I buy when I see them as the one I want is rarely available on demand.

maridunian

It's not just model railways of course. Retail in general now works for just-in-time supplies from wholesalers to retailers, eg food, whereas holding large, diverse stocks in shops eg clothes, doesn't.

It's shoppers who are driving this - we want it all and we want it now. A generation ago there was less choice, less change and less competition so we bought what there was or accepted (& enjoyed the anticipation of?) ordering and waiting.

Mike
My layout: Mwynwr Tryciau Colliery, the Many Tricks Mine.

My 3D Modelshop: Maridunian's Models

red_death

Yes, we are too impatient but some of that is down to increased expectations from other sectors eg we see the wonderful benefits that companies like Amazon have brought about (next day delivery or even same day delivery in some cases) and we forget that isn't applicable for every retailer!

Newportnobby

But if it wasn't shown we wouldn't try and buy it.
I can imagine the outcry if I placed a load of stock on the N'Porium and then when folks paid for it I turned round and said they'd have to wait until I got some stock in.

Steven B

The likes of Amazon have certainly raised expectations. My first model railway purchases involved sending a cheque in the post and waiting "up to 28 days" for delivery - or for the cheque to be returned because the item ordered is out of stock.

Having to wait an extra week for out of stock items is frustrating, especially if the shop hasn't been upfront about it. Rails of Sheffield indicate which items they will need to order from the manufacturer for example.

What's more frustrating is waiting in limbo for an order to be processed. I've had several with Hattons take three or four days to get from me placing the order to Hattons starting to pick things of the shelf.

Steven B.

Lawrence

It's not just the hobby, it's across UK industry because everyone is crapping themselves over Brexit.
If I was building a system for a customer last year, and needed some 1000 Bar pressure sensors with 4-20mA output (for example), I could get them in 2 or 3 weeks, now it's 2 or 3 months.
I tried to order an ATEX connector plug for a battery charger on a rig off Thailand, minimum 5 week lead time depending on how busy the agents at either end were.
This last 12 months have seen our lead times triple and quadruple because we can't get parts.

Not just trains I'm afraid

joe cassidy

I still prefer ordering stuff by telephone:

- you get instant confirmation that the product is in stock
- mistakes caused by excessive consumption of alcohol can be avoided

The only advantage of internet is that it never closes.

Madann01

Thanks to you all for your comments, I am reassured that I am not the only one who finds it frustrating not being able to obtain items easily, I understand the costs involved in stocking vast quantities of expensive items and the retailers have my sympathy in trying to get the balance right between held stock levels and demand. My main gripe is with the manufacturers who release new items advertise how good they are but are unable to supply immediately, are they awaiting sufficient orders from the retailers before producing the item? I have had to compromise on my planned build as unable to buy items that I would like to install as they are unavailable.

PLD

Quote from: Newportnobby on January 17, 2020, 11:03:39 AM
Sometimes, even worse, they state they have stock and then you find they don't. I've lost count with, for example, Hattons by seeing the item there on Google and when you actually go to their site it says 'Is the item in stock - no'
Grrrrr :unimpressed:
Can't blame Hattons for that one... the info on their website is correct, it's not their fault that Google's crawlers haven't visited in a while and hence Google's database still shows what was the position last time they visited which even for a site like Hattons (which while busy in the scale of our hobby, is a drop in the ocean of the global web) could have been weeks ago...

jpendle

And I think you need to take rolling stock out of the picture completely.

You imply basic construction items, do you have some examples? Or did you mean that unless you can get the rolling stock you want there's no point constructing the next phase?

The only non rolling stock item that I've been trying to buy recently, and have had problems, are Zimo Next18 decoders and each time I've looked they have been out of stock at the UK sellers and the US seller that I sometimes use had just 1 in stock. (BTW I wouldn't expect any US shop to have many in stock as they are king of 'niche' over here).

Regards,

John P
Check out my layout thread.

Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39501.msg476247#msg476247

And my Automation Thread

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=52597.msg687934#msg687934

Paddy

Yes we are impatient brought on as other say, by our 24x7 lifestyle.  As modellers we are also hit by the lack of local model shops where one could get all those bits and pieces.

This means we have to order online but I have also found that it is very difficult to find one supplier that can fulfill an order.  This means you face multiple delivery charges and before long your pot of paint costs £10!

:(

Someone mentioned Gaugemaster and I agree they are good,  Another retailer who tends to have a wide range of items in stock is Antics.  They have about half a dozen shops plus a warehouse to fulfill an order from.  Plus their prices are very competitive.

Kind regards

Paddy

HOLLERTON JUNCTION (SHED 13C)
London Midland Region
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=11342.0

BARRIES'S TRAIN SHED - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChVzVVov7HJOrrZ6HRvV2GA

Newportnobby

Quote from: joe cassidy on January 17, 2020, 01:04:20 PM

I try not to do anything after excessive consumption of alcohol, mainly because I get delivery of something I've already got :-[ :laugh: ;)

njee20

Quote from: joe cassidy on January 17, 2020, 01:04:20 PM

I can't stand talking on the phone, internet all day long for me! Took me about 2 years to place my last order with BR Lines because I couldn't be bothered to phone him, I'd have placed at least 3 orders had he been able to just email a PayPal invoice!

Amazon Prime has certainly recalibrated my expectations - previously 3-5 days was amazing, nowadays I get annoyed if it's not next day, and I resent paying for postage!

I don't mind waiting for orders from most railway suppliers, as I know a lot do it in their spare time, as long as communication is good.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations