Hornby Biomass Wagon

Started by ScottyStitch, March 14, 2016, 06:49:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScottyStitch

If you think we have it bad here in N-Gauge, viz-a-viz pricing, Hornby have just broken cover with a new Drax Biomass covered hopper.

The price? £83. Each.

G_N_E_R

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA???? That's like three HTA Hoppers  :headbutt:
Regards Phil

ScottyStitch

I should also have said that the model is limited to 1000 pieces,  has been commissioned by Drax and is exclusive to Hattons.

By way of comparison, Dapol is producing HIA Limestone hoppers in FLHH colours, selling for £25. Each. (Expected Price)

GroupC

I noticed these wagons too and was going to post something about their price but was too stunned to do so. Wonder how many people will be buying a full rake. If they're limited to a 1000-wagon run and a rake is say 20 wagons there should be enough to go around for about 50 very rich people, more technically known as "mugs"

OwL

If you have circa £1600 spare then buy a rake of 20. Keep them pristine then sell them up in a few years for DOUBLE.  💷💰💷

Proud New Owner of Old Warren Traction Maintenance Depot Layout.

http://www.c58lg.co.uk/  http://www.c60pg.co.uk/

njee20

Didn't we do this already?

There's a long thread on RMWeb about them - culminating in photos from folk who bought them. Quite interesting.

The price is wholly reflective of the fact they're a private commission and nothing whatsoever to do with what's to come.

The HIAs are cheaper in OO (£17?), be interesting to see what price they come out at in n. £25 is hardly exceptional value.

ScottyStitch

Quote from: GroupC on March 14, 2016, 09:47:31 PM
I noticed these wagons too and was going to post something about their price but was too stunned to do so. Wonder how many people will be buying a full rake. If they're limited to a 1000-wagon run and a rake is say 20 wagons there should be enough to go around for about 50 very rich people, more technically known as "mugs"

I wouldn't say that just because someone can afford something that they are 'mugs'..........

ScottyStitch

There was no mention in the OP about it being a sign of things to come. It was a comment about an interesting pricing structure, to maybe make some n-gauges thankful that our prices haven't reached such levels, commission or not.

It's disappointing that yet another thread on this forum has undertones of what could be taken as snide comments, firstly about anyone fortunate enough to be able to afford a rake of these wagons and secondly about the worth of making the OP.

I apologise if there is already a thread in RMWEB, or If we have 'done this already'.

NGF is becoming a less and less inviting place to come.

Ben A

Hi Scot,

I am not sure if you saw it, but there was one of these hoppers on the Model Rail stand at the SECC the other weekend.

I wasn't that impressed TBH since the markings appear not to have been printed on, but decals, and not only was the carrier film visible in places, but also the Drax lettering on one side was clearly not straight!

I have also read reports that they are very light, and this, combined with the bogies being unusually close to the centre of the vehicle, means that their running qualities are not that good.

cheers

Ben A.

JasonBz

Quote from: Ben A on March 15, 2016, 12:51:54 AM

Hi Scot,

I am not sure if you saw it, but there was one of these hoppers on the Model Rail stand at the SECC the other weekend.

I wasn't that impressed TBH since the markings appear not to have been printed on, but decals, and not only was the carrier film visible in places, but also the Drax lettering on one side was clearly not straight!

I have also read reports that they are very light, and this, combined with the bogies being unusually close to the centre of the vehicle, means that their running qualities are not that good.

cheers

Ben A.

Do they need to be able to run or look even ok? As long as the boxes are perfect ;)
I assume that is the market they are really aimed at, and why not

FourWheelCoach

I was in the Ian Allen book and model shop in Birmingham recently and it struck me that the prices of coaches and particularly wagons are astronomical for what they are: a few screenprinted plastic injection mouldings.
I had a look at a 1971 catalogue for comparison and adjusted prices in line with inflation:
Wagon from £3.30, coaches £10, 0-6-0 loco £81.

Loco price seems comparable and I would say the others strike me.as the sort of.price they ought to be. Granted some of the modern models have much better detail than older ones but manufacturing techniques have improved somewhat over the last forty-five years too.

Note I'm not suggesting Ian Allen are massively more expensive than elsewhere, that's just the shop I happened to be in.

njee20

QuoteI apologise if there is already a thread in RMWEB, or If we have 'done this already

Wasn't my intention to be snide. Was a genuine comment, I'm sure there was a thread a couple of weeks ago, that's all. Mods seem very quick to close threads here, other forums I frequent try and avoid duplicate threads in close succession.

Sorry if you don't find it inviting here, I personally think it's about the most saccharin sweet forum out there! I imagine more hostility on the Disney forum!

Back OT, it's disappointing they don't run well, and the poor quality printing is a shame, the former is perhaps understandable given they're destined to be displayed as static models rather than ever to run 'in anger'.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations