Moving to Spain

Started by Adam1701D, May 25, 2019, 08:46:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adam1701D

Well, the mortgage is just about paid off so Andrea and myself are looking at what to do next and are planning a move to Spain- more preciously, the Costa Blanca North area between Alicante and Denia.

It's obviously not going to be cheap or easy, particularly in the current unhelpful political climate but the whole family is up for a fresh start. We  are looking at buying a house in an inland village and a small apartment by the sea to bring in some rental income. I plan to keep doing Electra as a going concern, as it is all internet-based and mail-order anyway.

Are there any forum members who have done anything similar and what experiences can you share?
Best Regards,
Adam Warr
Peterborough, UK

Jerry Howlett

We did similar but to Italy 14 years ago. Most important thing is do you have a guaranteed income?  Knew several families out here who tried to make it and sadly failed.

Mrs H and I were both on good pensions, sadly Caroline is no longer with us but I am able to survive on my Railway pension. 
Health care ?  with the ***xit  thing what will happen ?  Here in Italy we have been told they will "honour" existing arrangements but for new comers ??

I think its a great idea but sadly in these uncertain months one I would be wary of.

Sorry to be negative but the politcal climate I fear is against you for now.  Who knows what the end of the year will bring.

Jerry
Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

Adam1701D

I am trying so hard not to mention the dreaded B-word, as it is the one thing guaranteed to get any sensible discussion locked by the mods! It is a major concern, hence my desire to get the ball rolling as soon as I can. I have very little faith that whoever takes over Number Ten will not do something really stupid.

Income-wise we need to sit down and do some hard calculating but I think we will be OK with pensions and everything. Lots to think about.

Best Regards,
Adam Warr
Peterborough, UK

Philip.

Quote from: captainelectra on May 25, 2019, 08:46:17 PM
Well, the mortgage is just about paid off so Andrea and myself are looking at what to do next and are planning a move to Spain- more preciously, the Costa Blanca North area between Alicante and Denia.

It's obviously not going to be cheap or easy, particularly in the current unhelpful political climate but the whole family is up for a fresh start. We  are looking at buying a house in an inland village and a small apartment by the sea to bring in some rental income. I plan to keep doing Electra as a going concern, as it is all internet-based and mail-order anyway.

Are there any forum members who have done anything similar and what experiences can you share?

I've no experience to offer but I wish you all the luck in the world. 12 years ago we had the chance to move to Malta, but for various reasons we decided against it, how I wish now that we had done it.

Anyhoo, good luck with the move and your new life in the sun  :)

Dancess

Moved to France 4 years ago - never regretted it. Am now in French system regarding health, income tax etc. Health just pay a small premium each month as top up which covers hospital expenses if needed. Income tax pay nothing now unlike when in UK, allowed to earn nearly 3 times the tax free allowance in UK before paying any plus get reduced property taxes.

We did think about Spain but decided on France as easier to travel back if family problems occurred. Life is more relaxed and would never move back. Br...t doesn't worry us as they aren't going to kick us out!

One thing we decided on is that we didn't want lots of Brits around us, join the locals they'll soon accept you.

Good luck with your plans.

S&D lives on - sort of!

marco neri

Hi,
Any climate you want....here in Italy you can find it :)..
Cheers.

Marco
...never turn you back on the ripper (judas priest)

keithfre

Quote from: captainelectra on May 25, 2019, 08:46:17 PM
We  are looking at buying a house in an inland village and a small apartment by the sea to bring in some rental income.
From what I saw on the telly a couple of years ago, you need to be very careful about the Spanish building regulations. Some people have been hit financially to the extent that they've had to give up their properties.

cornish yorkie

:hellosign: We have bought a apartment in South Costa Blanca last year & hope to retire there in a couple of years time. At the moment the calculations are looking good as cost of living in Spain is very reasonable in comparison to the UK. I think the B word will be a storm in a tea cup when all is finally said & done.
Hope this helps & think positive, best of luck.
     regards Derek.
ONLY ONE RULE ENJOY

zwilnik

Recently moved to the south of Spain in the Cadiz area in a nice inland village (near a railway :) ) for the lower cost of living and better weather. Also much better broadband internet than the UK. Working on getting our Residentia sorted before things get too bad in the UK.

willike1958

I moved "temporarily" to mainland Europe (France/Belgium) 30 years ago and haven't regretted it for a single moment. While I wouldn't say that now is the best time to make your move to Spain due to the uncertainty resulting from that  :censored: referendum, you should give it a try if in your heart of hearts it's really what you want to do. If I have any advice to give, it would be that you might want to try renting there in the first instance rather than buying. This should save you a lot of money and heartache if you decide, for whatever reason, to reverse your decision .
Kevin

David Asquith

Hi Adam,

We bought a holiday home in the fields and hills around Zarra, Valencia in 2005 and then moved over permanently when I retired in 2010. We didn´t want to be on the Costa's which are too British.  Our village has about 420 people in it and at the most 30 are brits.  Our area which is the Ayora Valley has 5 villages,  with a few brits in each.  It is a farming area with olives, almonds, cherries and honey being farmed.  Amongst a multitude of other Fiestas we have a honey festival in October.

Properties tend to be cheaper here compared to the costas and there are plenty of buildings for
developement.

We now have residencia, included in the health system, informed the tax office we are here who said I can continue paying my tax in the UK as they are government pensions.   We have Spanish driving licences. Yesterday we voted in the local elections.

Denia is about 160 kilometers south east of us  In this area there aren't many english speakers so we take an interpreter with us to hospital appointments and we get on fine.  The locals are friendly and include us in all their events.  I even ride with 2 scooter clubs in Alicante  and 1 in Almansa when I can.  I was interviewed for local TV last year as the only brit in a Spanish scooter club.
Cost of living is generally cheaper than the UK but we have found that the price of food has got more expensive.  We have satellite TV, Freesat, and Internet via dish for 18 euro's per month.

Hope this helps Adam.  Let me know if there is anything specific you want to know and I will try and oblige and send you some links if nothing else.  Citizens Advice Bureau Spain springs to mind and N322  Guardia Civil Traffico website which is named after the east coast main road and has all the info on driving in Spain. If you move to Denia I could pop over and pay for those NMT vinyls I owe you for!

Vigo

My parents sold up and moved to the Costa Blanca about 25 years ago and had many happy years there, enjoying everything that Spain and the Spanish system had to offer. Unfortunately, I've lost them both now so I have inherited a lovely 3 bedroomed house just outside Torrevieja which my wife and I love to pieces. Daughter is immensely jealous but she knows that it will be hers one day so she's being patient :hmmm:

As regards first hand experience, there's not a lot I can tell you at this stage that's not already been said but I will point out one very important thing. Will. Make sure you have one, a Spanish one. About 4 years ago my dad was alone in Spain and uncertain so he bought a house in Scotland, intending to split his year between the two but just over 12 months ago the unspeakable happened, hence my inheriting the house. I have had a year of arguing, wrangling and fighting with a Scottish solicitor regarding my dad's estate (only child, fully notarised legal will) but the Spanish side of it was over and done with within 6 weeks. If nothing else, that Spanish are bloody good at dealing with bereavement. My Spanish solicitor has been worth her weight in gold. Useful to know if kids are part of the equation.

I've got about 6 years left until my mortgage is paid up, then I might seriously consider making the leap myself.... I've already got the house and the car. All this picture needs now is me!

Good luck and keep us posted.

ps
I can also recommend the N332 website. It's a real goldmine of information. https://n332.es/

pps
The dreaded B word. As far as I'm concerned it's a made up word for a made up concept. It's a shining example of misinformation at it's finest and as was mentioned earlier, it'll probably end up being a big fuss about nothing, a bit like the Millennium Bug (remember that one? Planes falling out of the sky and your microwave won't work any more)

I've been to many European countries in the past year or so and as far as I can see, apart from being the butt of many jokes we Brits don't seem to have too much to worry about. The average chap on the street couldn't give two hoots about B****t so why should I?
In Memoriam: https://hadfieldsite.wordpress.com/

Latest project: San Pablo - Rural Spain in miniature (HOe ish)

Adam1701D

Many thanks for all the replies and advice. I think we could be looking at a Costa Blanca chapter of the NGS at this rate :-)
Best Regards,
Adam Warr
Peterborough, UK

Adam1701D

Well, we're off on our holidays to the Coasta Blanca on Sunday and armed with a large amount of "Favourited" properties from Alcoi to Denia. Should be interesting.

Ole.
Best Regards,
Adam Warr
Peterborough, UK

zwilnik

I got my Residentia card today, so hopefully means I'll be sticking around :)

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations