Virgin Media

Started by guest311, August 15, 2019, 09:09:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guest311

had enough of t'internet, and the clowns on it. switching off, unplugging, and heading for an evening of NCIS series 16.

hate to think what L J GIBBS would have done to the likes of the cowboys at Virgin ........

I'm guessing 'extreme prejudice' would have been in there somewhere, as well as rule 9   >:D

guest311

back again, so first thing after checking forum, did a speed check, then a few more, results were

17/08/19 – 09.38
Ping
<1 ms

Download
131.48 Mbps

Upload
424.52 Kbps

Ping
<1 ms

Download
425.46 Kbps

Upload
276.10 Kbps

Ping
<1 ms

Download
1.05 Mbps

Upload
343.26 Kbps

Ping
<1 ms

Download
4.36 Mbps

Upload
2.11 Mbps

really amazed at the first one, but thereafter the usual. also lost connection twice so far, came up as no internet, but troubleshooter reset and back on.

wondering if it's the hub faulty, seems to mirror MJKERR's problems.

think I'll start again, and in an attempt to prove it, will use laptop on a LAN lead direct to hub.

Bealman

How are you posting this?  :hmmm: :dunce:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

guest311

the power of thought  :-[

MJKERR

Quote from: class37025 on August 17, 2019, 10:07:52 AM
did a speed check
Are you using the software once logged into the Hub3 (assume you have a Hub3) or browser?

I had a similar problem this morning, confirming peak time had been applied to my account

guest311

Quote from: MJKERR on August 17, 2019, 03:10:58 PM
Quote from: class37025 on August 17, 2019, 10:07:52 AM
did a speed check
Are you using the software once logged into the Hub3 (assume you have a Hub3) or browser?

I had a similar problem this morning, confirming peak time had been applied to my account

assuming I have a hub, not sure what type, but what I used to refer to as a modem.

so fibre cable into black box, wi-fi from there to tower unit, only browser and speed check open when tests done, if that makes sense.

not sure what you mean by 'peak time had been applied to my account'

Dorsetmike

Suggest the wifi is the problem, mine is hardwired from PC to router and from router to "modem" then Virgin fibre, if I use wireless from my laptop to the router it is much slower than hard wired
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

guest311

if of any help, this is what the kit looks like.

cable in through wall into back of this

this has a weird 3 pin plug feeding into it which must be left switched on at all times, apparently

second cable from the white box leads to this, one wire then going to the black box, the other through to the sitting room and the TV box

and this is the black box, or at least front of it

not sure if it a modem, hub or what.

son in law bringing his laptop down later so we can use a LAN lead to connect to black bos, and then run the speed test again.

BobB

Look on the bright side class37025.

Neje20 could be involved and then you really would feel inadequate.

guest311

but could he work a german shepherd on an airfield at night, in the wind and rain, and detect an intruder and apprehend him, well at least get the shepherd to  >:D

MJKERR

The white box is the BT convertor
The splitter then splits the cable, and are known for being installed incorrectly
One cable will go to the Tivo the other to the Hub3
The black box is the Hub3

There is a lot to go wrong there
I have had to rewire a splitter before, the engineer was called out for that, confirmed it was over 5 years old and had to be replaced

What you can do is connect the Hub3 to the connection output from the white box, and then compare

zwilnik

Also, do your speed tests with your PC directly connected to the Hub3 with an ethernet cable to rule out bad WiFi reception slowing things down.

MJKERR

Quote from: zwilnik on August 17, 2019, 07:57:45 PM
Also, do your speed tests with your PC directly connected to the Hub3 with an ethernet cable to rule out bad WiFi reception slowing things down.
Already mentioned, and repeated by myself
However, if you login to the admin panel of the Hub3 then you do not need to do so, and get it to perform the test direct to the network (nearest UBR hub if you are on Virgin Media infrastucture)

I talked with a technician whilst they completed this and watched them do it a few months ago, then they agreed the attentuation signal was too low
A technician visited and replaced one of the cables leading to the building, it had been damaged by water

guest311

Quote from: MJKERR on August 17, 2019, 07:48:06 PM
The white box is the BT convertor
The splitter then splits the cable, and are known for being installed incorrectly
One cable will go to the Tivo the other to the Hub3
The black box is the Hub3

There is a lot to go wrong there
I have had to rewire a splitter before, the engineer was called out for that, confirmed it was over 5 years old and had to be replaced

What you can do is connect the Hub3 to the connection output from the white box, and then compare

totally confused as to why I have a BT convertor ?
is [supposedly] connected directly to the Virgin fibre cable, which runs to their cabinet down the road, then via their own network.
BT network shouldn't be involved, should it ?

I'll try connecting the hub directly to the white box in the morning.

I'll also do the test with the laptop connected directly to the hub, not via wi-fi

:thankyousign: ALL VERY MUCH FOR YOUR ADVICE AND SUGGESTIONS.

much more helpful than VM  >:(

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations