Started by Caz, August 26, 2015, 10:11:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

emjaybee

Quote from: Newportnobby on June 27, 2019, 09:25:06 PM
Quote from: emjaybee on June 27, 2019, 09:19:48 PM
Quote from: Newportnobby on June 27, 2019, 09:17:56 PM
This seems to have morphed into a Happy Thread :pint:

Every cloud...

........very often contains rain. There. That should get us back to being unhappy :P ;)

Ah, there he is!

;D
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

The Q

Don't go the the pub any more.

The two nearest are "gastro Pubs" ie unfriendly to drinkers unless you pay a fortune for a meal.
The Next two, one I don't think it's been repainted since they banned smoking, but it is still a pub. The other is a pub that serves food, not too bad but not worth the journey. Once I  retire I expect I'll frequent a pub more often.. There's one just round the corner from the MRC, and I'll be spending a lot more time there..

Bob Tidbury

WHATS A PUB   :confused2: I'm coffeee total .
Bob Tidbury

Philip.

Our 9 year old pooch has a problem with his skin and shedding a lot of fur. The last week or so he has started drinking more and doing huge pees so we thought we'd better get him to the vet.

Two bloodtests and a full MOT and it turns out he has "hypothyroidism" which is quite common in older large dogs. The bank account is now £300 lighter [insurance claim going in] and he's now on antibiotics and tablets to sort his thyroid out. Got to go back in 2 weeks for another blood test and see if the thyroid tablet strength needs adjusting. He'll be on those for the rest of his life, but fingers crossed he's now sorted.

dannyboy

I hope he soon gets sorted Philipp. Our pets can be expensive, but would we be without them?  :no:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

guest311

glad to hear it's sorted.
at that age meds are better than an op, and you can't put a price on a friend

dogs rule  :)

Papyrus

It's an unfortunate fact that pets get more expensive to run as they get older. Our old dog was on tablets for a heart murmur for years (he always swallowed them without a fuss as he knew they would shortly be followed by breakfast or dinner). Then as he got frailer the visits to the vet became more and more frequent. The insurers paid up without quibble, but the premiums went ballistic. But he was a lovely dog - he was with us until just after his 16th birthday and he repaid us every penny we spent on him. We still have his great-grand-daughter and great-great-grand-daughter to keep us active!

Hope your dog is still with you for many years to come, Philipp.

Cheers, Chris

Newportnobby

Those symptoms ring a bell :-[

Being serious, I hope the meds work and your pet is back to normality very soon.

daveg

Hope the meds do the trick. Always a worry when a special pal is poorly.

Our Blue (British Blue super cat)  is 11 and his insurance premium almost doubled when he reached 10.

Chatted with our home visiting vet (a blessing!) and we now invest the original premium in his own premium bonds account. So far just a few minor calls so no financial pressure and the tiniest hope Blue will make us a million!  :D

Dave G

Philip.

thanks everyone, much appreciated, I love him to bits so I don't care about the money, if it is just hypothyroidism then it'll cost about £20 a month for the tablets which is nothing, and a blood test once a year just to keep a check on things. Wife reckons I care more for him than I do for her, can't think why  :hmmm: :D

Newportnobby

As has been said before, lock them both in a shed for 24 hours and when you let them out, see who is the most pleased to see you >:D

Skyline2uk

Quote from: Newportnobby on June 29, 2019, 08:17:18 PM
As has been said before, lock them both in a shed for 24 hours and when you let them out, see who is the most pleased to see you >:D

Bad man!

(Funny man)

Bad man!

:smiley-laughing:

Skyline2uk

zwilnik

Quote from: Philipp on June 29, 2019, 06:02:51 PM
thanks everyone, much appreciated, I love him to bits so I don't care about the money, if it is just hypothyroidism then it'll cost about £20 a month for the tablets which is nothing, and a blood test once a year just to keep a check on things. Wife reckons I care more for him than I do for her, can't think why  :hmmm: :D

My ex's cat had the same, although the tablets were a little more (about £30 a month). As this particular cat really hated taking tablets and it would be every day, she opted for a radiotherapy treatment instead where they essentially irradiate the offending thyroid to reduce it and pretty much cure the condition. Cost about £2000 and you're not allowed near your radioactive cat for a fortnight, but the cat's still going strong some 3 years later.

Malc

Cats and tablets don't go together. With a dog, you just wrap the tablet in bacon and throw it for them. We tried everything to get our cat to take a worming tablet when we first got her. We crushed it in her food, but she ate all the food and left the bits of tablet. We popped it in her throat and she spat it out. Eventually took her to the vet and he gave her an injection. Fortunately for the next 11 years she never needed tablets.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

themadhippy

How to give a cat a pill:

1)  Pick up cat and cradle it in the crook of your left arm as if holding a baby. Position right forefinger and thumb on either side of cat's mouth and gently apply pressure to cheeks while holding pill in right hand. As cat opens mouth, pop pill into mouth. Allow cat to close mouth and swallow.

2)Retrieve pill from floor and cat from behind sofa. Cradle cat in left arm and repeat process.

3) Retrieve cat from bedroom, and throw soggy pill away.

4)Take new pill from foil wrap, cradle cat in left arm, holding rear paws tightly with left hand. Force jaws open and push pill to back of mouth with right forefinger. Hold mouth shut for a count of ten.

5) Retrieve pill from goldfish bowl and cat from top of wardrobe. Call spouse from garden.

6)Kneel on floor with cat wedged firmly between knees, hold front and rear paws. Ignore low growls emitted by cat. Get spouse to hold head firmly with one hand while forcing wooden ruler into mouth. Drop pill down ruler and rub cat's throat vigorously.

7)  Retrieve cat from curtain rail, get another pill from foil wrap. Make note to buy new ruler and repair curtains. Carefully sweep shattered figurines and vases from hearth and set to one side for gluing later.

8  )  Wrap cat in large towel and get spouse to lie on cat with head just visible from below armpit. Put pill in end of drinking straw, force mouth open with pencil, and blow down drinking straw.

9)  Check label to make sure pill not harmful to humans, drink 1 beer to take taste away. Apply Band-Aid to spouse's forearm and remove blood from carpet with cold water and soap.

10)  Retrieve cat from neighbor's shed. Get another pill. Open another beer. Place cat in cupboard, and close door onto neck, to leave head showing. Force mouth open with dessert spoon. Flick pill down throat with elastic band.

11) Fetch screwdriver from garage and put cupboard door back on hinges. Drink beer. Fetch bottle of Scotch. Pour shot, drink. Apply cold compress to cheek and check records for date of last tetanus shot. Apply whiskey compress to cheek to disinfect. Toss back another shot. Throw T-shirt away and fetch new one from bedroom.

12) Call fire brigade to retrieve the damn cat from tree across the road. Apologize to neighbor who crashed into fence while swerving to avoid cat. Take last pill from foil-wrap.

13)   Tie the little @!!@#@#$%'s front paws to rear paws with garden twine and bind tightly to leg of dining table, find heavy-duty pruning gloves from shed. Push pill into mouth followed by large piece of steak filet. Be rough about it. Hold head vertically and pour 2 pints of water down throat to wash pill down.

14) Consume remainder of Scotch. Get spouse to drive you to the emergency room, sit quietly while doctor stitches fingers and forearm and remove pill remnants from right eye. Call furniture shop on way home to order new table.

15)  Arrange for RSPCA to collect mutant cat from hell and call local pet shop to see if they have any hamsters.

How to give a dog a pill:

1)   Wrap it in cheese.
freedom of speech is but a  fallacy.it dosnt exist here

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £35.23
Below Goal: £64.77
Site Currency: GBP
35% 
April Donations