N Gauge Wheels

Started by NTrain, July 01, 2013, 06:54:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NTrain

I am trying to finalise a motorising solution. I can do a single ended drive using a set of bogies which have 6.5mm wheels. Ufortunately, the standard wheels I seem to be able to find, for the unpowered end and other coaches are 6.2mm.

The motorised chassis is looking nose down.

Any sugestions as to a supplier of 6.5mm wheelsets or another solution.

4x2

Quote from: NTrain on July 01, 2013, 06:54:47 PM
I am trying to finalise a motorising solution. I can do a single ended drive using a set of bogies which have 6.5mm wheels. Ufortunately, the standard wheels I seem to be able to find, for the unpowered end and other coaches are 6.2mm.

The motorised chassis is looking nose down.

Any sugestions as to a supplier of 6.5mm wheelsets or another solution.
Try looking at some of the European axles, they often have strange size wheels. Another idea would be to pack up the smaller wheeled bogie so that it all sits level - 0.3mm is such a small difference it should be barely noticeable. I'm assuming the bogies have frames which could hide the smaller wheels.
If it's got rails... you have my full, undivided attention - Steam, diesel and electric, 'tis all good !

Mike

woodbury22uk

Going up 0.3mm on diameter will only change the height by 0.15mm. Might be worth putting shims under the wheel to establish what change in radius you need to get it to look like it is level. It surprises me that 0.15mm over the distance between axle centres is noticeable.
Mike

Membre AFAN 0196

EtchedPixels

Quote from: woodbury22uk on July 01, 2013, 08:16:55 PM
Going up 0.3mm on diameter will only change the height by 0.15mm. Might be worth putting shims under the wheel to establish what change in radius you need to get it to look like it is level. It surprises me that 0.15mm over the distance between axle centres is noticeable.

Your eyes are very good at picking such things up. If the floor is level I doubt anyone would notice 0.15mm in wheel diameter difference for the wheels.

Surely the question though is what diameter the wheels *should* be for the model - it might make sense to find replacement drive axles instead.

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

4x2

Just to clarify, I meant 0.3mm as the difference in wheel size not the height to be raised.
I think Alan's suggestion is probably the most useful one.
If it's got rails... you have my full, undivided attention - Steam, diesel and electric, 'tis all good !

Mike

NTrain

While I would love to make the whole thing up, exactly to scale, I am constrained by compromise.

One of those is cost. I am using, where possible, existing components, or ones that I can get 3D printed. This means that the drive bogie I am using is a fixed component, with a 3D printed base. Unfortunately, the wheels of a correct size have a different fixing hole to the bogie, so are not intechangeable. Nor can I take the gear from the driving wheels and put onto the axle of a different wheelset. The design is wrong.

As for seeing the difference in height, I used to do engineering and building drawing as a living, many years ago and still retain a critical eye for these things. It drives my wife crazy at times.  :-[

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £100.23
Above Goal: £0.23
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
April Donations