Electrical connections

Started by oldchadders, June 17, 2013, 04:23:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldchadders

Hi Guys,
My first proper posting on here, I'm new to all this model train stuff. Trying to put together a simple layout to keep my grandsons happy. I have a baseboard app 4ft x 2ft together with a PECO starter pack and a couple of controllers. My aim is to build two "concentric" ovals, running independently from two separate controllers. I plan two positions where a pair of points will allow crossover from one oval to the other (in either direction). The inner oval will have sidings and will be a notional "goods yard". The outer oval will represent a passenger line, running coaches (my grandson says it has to have a station and signals. As a retired electronics engineer I have no problem wiring up the electrics to do all of the above, however I do have one concern. The basis of the above is to allow both grandsons to play on the layout together, without bothering the other (ie each running a train on one oval track) however I can see there will be a time when one gets fed up and the other wants to run his train on all the track. from a safety and control point of view, this will mean disconnecting one controller from the system. I can see no problem doing this, electrically, with an appropriately connected switch, but I anticipate the time when enthusiasm overcomes the need to "throw the switch" thus my question is "is there a recognised way of achieving this interlock which is foolproof in a child's hands. I have looked at adding microswitches to the points to inhibit operation of both controllers unless both lines are disconnected from each other, but as yet have not found the perfect solution.
TIA.

BobB

I have built layouts viewed and operated by children and more recently grandchildren.

Given their desire to see crashes (influenced by Hollywood's predilection to destroy vehicles perhaps ?) there is no fail safe system other than different not connected circuits !

Newportnobby

Sorry, Chadders, but all I can think is to hide the switch somewhere only you know the location :-[

oldchadders

Quote from: newportnobby on June 17, 2013, 08:46:12 PM
Sorry, Chadders, but all I can think is to hide the switch somewhere only you know the location :-[
Difficult with today's youngsters, they know instinctively how to work anything. Our 2 y/o grandson knows the difference between the 3 remote controls for TV, DVD player and recorder, he also knows how to use all of them to find what he wants to watch. If I can't find a particular tool in my workshop, I ask my 5 y/o grandson - he can find anything, even tools which he doesn't know what they are!

EtchedPixels

Quote from: oldchadders on June 17, 2013, 09:55:15 PM
Difficult with today's youngsters, they know instinctively how to work anything

Give them a slide rule and a record player 8)

(or a vacuum cleaner - no child or teenager can work one 8))

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Bealman

:laughabovepost: I know of one twenty one year old living here at the Bealman abode who doesn't know how to operate a vacuum cleaner.  :D
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

trainsdownunder

oldchadders

Quote from: scotsoft on June 17, 2013, 10:00:31 PM
Could you incorporate something like these?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-Key-Ignition-Switch-ON-OFF-Lock-Switch-Key-OFF-Out-/260614227820?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Supplies_ET&hash=item3cadd1876c

cheers John.
I had been thinking along those lines, but presumed someone would have encountered this problem already and there may even be a "commercially available" solution. My other thought was an interlock system based on microswitches on the points, together with either an "on track" train detector or an electronic detection that voltage was already being supplied to one track, that prevented the second track from being supplied (it seemed to be getting rather complex, though!)

EtchedPixels

There are various electronics boards for the job but mostly its a relay being controlled by a point controller at the same time as the signal or point. A lot of the fancier boards also allow you to chain them and they can do automatic train spacing for automated running.

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

oldchadders

Quote from: EtchedPixels on June 18, 2013, 12:08:27 PM
There are various electronics boards for the job but mostly its a relay being controlled by a point controller at the same time as the signal or point. A lot of the fancier boards also allow you to chain them and they can do automatic train spacing for automated running.

Alan
I suspected something like that would be around, but I can create that myself. Soon gets a bit complex for a plaything for two kids (or three if I include myself)

Bealman

Yeah but therein lies the challenge and half the fun  :thumbsup:

oldchadders

Quote from: Bealman on June 18, 2013, 10:57:25 PM
Yeah but therein lies the challenge and half the fun  :thumbsup:

I keep telling the wife "it keeps me out of trouble and the pub" but she atill complains :hmmm:

Bealman

:laughabovepost: Yeah, they do that. Same here in Australia too, mate. I just tinker on and go to the pub anyway.  :thumbsup:

oldchadders

The problem has been solved by my grandson, Finlay. "If I am driving a train on one track and Toby (younger brother) is playing on the other, I don't want his trains on my track". So, no crossover needed between track. Besides the two oval tracks and sidings, he wants a lake and a river (to sail boats on), a picnic area, a town, factories, two stations, roads, a level crossing and a farm. I think I have worked in everything except the farm, which will have to be on a separate board to the side of the track (we don't want the trains frightening the animals!). I am trying to draw it up in Anyrail (another new experience for me) and will post a pic when it is "finished".

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £100.23
Above Goal: £0.23
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
April Donations