THE RESULTS OF THE NGF POLL

Started by Newportnobby, June 28, 2012, 05:55:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bealman

Eeeeh. Cat lovers. My apologies to forum members who are. One scratched me in the face when I was seven and I nearly lost me eye. Sorry, the best one is still a flat one.

Anyway, N gauge trains is the name of the game. The NGF poll has obviously achieved it's goal, having had replies from manufacturers! Another eeek.... I'm a poet and didn't know it (poll,goal)! By the way, I have my alarm set for 5am on Saturday morning for the Olympic opening ceremony.

Cheers & meow, George :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Newportnobby

No need to be catty, George ;)

I have also sent the results off to a couple of the monthly mags and to the N Gauge Society Journal.
Let's see if any of them pick up on it ???

Bealman

Thanks for that. I still have not joined the NGS even though I said I was some months ago. As my wife says, I'm a gonna (big Iguana[sp?]-like lizards are common here) but she means: "gonna do this, gonna do that". I do see that they have produced a new kit of an LMS inspection coach, though. Looks good.

Just got your post that you can't see the video. I'll work on it.

Cheers! Olympics - Auusie Aussie, Aussie, Oi Oi Oi! (to be perfectly honest I don't know where my loyalties lie anymore. Sunderland FC, I guess).

EtchedPixels

Quote from: moogle on July 24, 2012, 11:38:25 PM
A flat cat is of no use to anyone and may upset some cat loving members on here.

Doormat ?

They don't have to be flat either..

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/ea64/?cpg=cj&ref=&CJURL=&CJID=2970421
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Dock Shunter

Newportnobby

Had this reply from Ben Jones at Model Rail:-

Dear Mick,

Many thanks for the message and poll results. I'm afraid it's too late for the September issue (which goes to press today), but we'll do our best to find space for it in the next one. Many of the top items are similar to the MREmag wish list poll, the results of which we published a couple of months ago.

Kindest Regards

I have replied thanking Ben in advance for maybe squeezing us into the October issue, and stated it was no great surprise some of our top items matched the MREmag but that our poll was focussed purely on motive power.

Roy L S

Quote from: bealman on July 24, 2012, 10:59:05 PM
Eeek. Now I know why I don't like cats. Best cat is a flat cat. George :angel:

George

We currently have five cats in our household and if you had ever had the misfortune to find your beloved pet dead at the side of the road (Which I have twice) you would maybe not have posted such a comment.

Roy

Mustermark

Quote from: Roy L S on July 25, 2012, 06:30:27 PM

We currently have five cats in our household and if you had ever had the misfortune to find your beloved pet dead at the side of the road (Which I have twice) you would maybe not have posted such a comment.

Roy

I have had that misfortune twice myself. :'(  We have 11 cats, none of whom are allowed outside.  The Adoption Agencies here won't allow you to let them out, partly because of cars, partly foxes and the like.  I sleep better knowing they are not out there at night.

Oops, I think that is what we call off topic.  Sorry.

http://www.marksmodelrailway.com
I'm a personality prototype... you can tell, can't you.

Bealman

I agree. We have strayed from the NGF poll which, thanks to NPN's hard work, appears to be getting noticed by the folk we would like it to.

However, I would still like to stress that I am not a cat lover, and never will be. I am lucky to have two eyes. Sorry, folks. Let's stick to trains, eh.

Getting Olympic warm up on TV now. Can't wait!

:wave:

Newportnobby

I am a cat lover but many years ago was bitten by a dog on my sit-upon resulting in a tetanus course, but I harbour no evil thoughts about canines. I just don't like the varmints. Each to their own.

Quote from: bealman on July 26, 2012, 12:19:43 PM
Sorry, folks. Let's stick to trains, eh.

Agreed :thumbsup:

Bealman

Mate my wife bought a labrador for my girls when they were young (we had it put down last year; cancer) but the bloodly thing ripped up the entire garden lighting system and irrigation system I had gone to much work and expense to install. Yeah, I guess I liked it but when I hear about those Batman shootings, bombings, etc., I sometimes wonder if we put the same amount of love into people as pets..... anyway. On a positive note, two of the best weeks of my and my family's life were the two weeks in Sydney 2000 games. I thought then that if we can all get along for 2 weeks, why the hell can't we for the rest of the time. I'm sure London 2012 is going to be a hoot. Enjoy! I wish I was there.

In the meantime, let's get that Schools class out for all the Southern fans! Top job, NPN, and that's all from me on our feline fiends. Oops Friends, :beers:

zwilnik

With the engines near the top of the list happily being ones that are either already planned or reasonably likely to come out as RTR at some point, the flip-side of the data is potentially useful for scratch builders knowing which models would be relatively unique once built :) Ok, it's because almost nobody wants one, but a lot of those engines with 1 or 2 votes are interesting to a few other people at least.

Roy L S

Quote from: bealman on July 26, 2012, 12:19:43 PM
I agree. We have strayed from the NGF poll which, thanks to NPN's hard work, appears to be getting noticed by the folk we would like it to.

However, I would still like to stress that I am not a cat lover, and never will be. I am lucky to have two eyes. Sorry, folks. Let's stick to trains, eh.

Getting Olympic warm up on TV now. Can't wait!

Fair enough - irony is our little tabby kitten (well juvenile now really) is called George!

Sticking to trains is cool - I have to say I have very little interest in the olympics (Well apart from beach volleyball maybe!) and am happy for any olympic free zone I can find!

Roy

Ben A

Quote from: bealman on July 25, 2012, 01:14:41 PM
I do see that they have produced a new kit of an LMS inspection coach, though. Looks good.

Thanks for the kind comment, but just for the avoidance of doubt, the LMS Saloon is a ready-to-run model specially commissioned from Bachmann/Farish and not a kit.

The survey results were certainly passed around the NGS management team by the journal editor so I strongly suspect they will be featured in the NGS journal very soon.

Having said that although they are certainly interesting, and of interest to our members, they don't help the NGS particularly when it comes to selecting our future products since they only featured locomotives.  Developing new locomotive models is prohibitively expensive and we would be unlikely to find a model we could afford with adequate appeal to enough members to justify the investment.

As an aside, for our models we would always prefer to select a model that most members want to buy one of, rather than one that a few members modelling a specific area or era would buy dozens of, even if the latter would actually sell more.

cheers

Ben A
(NGS vice president)

Newportnobby

Hi Ben, and thanks for posting that. May I make a suggestion?
Having had 2 polls now with some similar results, how about the NGS holding a poll to establish the most desired loco/livery such that the NGS can commission a special run of a loco made by one of the manufacturers - maybe just one steam and one modern image loco. Not every livery is provided by them and you may find a run of 250 locos would be enough to maybe get an A4 in NSE livery (nah - I only said that for Tank :smiley-laughing:)
Just a thought ???

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations