Fuel prices

Started by Newportnobby, March 08, 2022, 09:05:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

exmouthcraig

80 litre tank, and was very much into single figures on the "distance to empty"

Had an unfortunate stop at Corley Services a couple of weeks ago, the sign said

DIESEL 204.9/L

Which was about 6p more then supermarket garages, rolled upto the pump and the price on that said 214.9 stuck £50 in and went to pay

"How come your sign says 204.9 yet the pump says 214.9?"

'You used premium diesel, which is 214.9'

"Where's the 204.9 then?"

'All the pumps selling that are coned off at the moment while we mop up a fuel spill'

What's the betting they use that reason on every day with a Y in it

Trainfish

I think my tank is 60 litres. Is yours a long wheelbase or maybe a 6-wheeler?

I had a similar issue where the price on the totem pole was lower than on the pumps and mentioned this but all of a sudden the garage person "didn't understand English" well enough to know what I was talking about, yeah right!

I do feel that once most garages reach £2 a litre then they will start rising at crazy rates again. Should be ok though as we have had a 5p cut on the duty back in Feb/March or whenever it was. That's ok then.
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

exmouthcraig

Mk7 with an 80litre and the Custom runs a 72litre

It is ABSOLUTELY FARCICAL, the "official" line is the dependency on Russian oil yet we have a plan to resolve that. Unfortunately it'll take the best part of 6years to see an improvement by which time they'll be desperately trying to force us out of diesel so will keep hiking the prices.

But when our energy bills have doubled and due to increase by maybe another £1000 in October how does an electric version cost me any less  ???

Trainfish

That explains it. I think mine is a mk9 (21 plate) and as we know things are only getting smaller as the years pass by  :(

I think that basically 'they' are trying to dissuade all of us from using any form of fuel/energy, petrol, diesel, electricity, gas etc to save the planet. In a couple of generations time people will be back to living in caves and eating purple carrots the way things are going.
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

TrevL

Filled up with E5 at the Shell station in Willerby, west Hull, this morning, for my return to North Wales.  Paid £2.07 a litre, nearly swollowed my tongue :goggleeyes: >:D
Cheers, Trev.

Time flys like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana!

guest10040

I know, I'm a skeptical old  :censored: ...
but when the govt drive all petrol and diesel vehicles off the roads, I wonder where they are going to get the money raised as road tax, which we all know does not pay to keep the roads in good condition, but goes into the general pot.

so presumably, those who have actually taken out a second mortgage to be able to buy an electric vehicle, and then a third mortgage to be able to pay the leccie bill to charge the thing, will be looking at having to make up the shortfall by a 'new' electric vehicle road fund.

meanwhile, of course, some countries will still be pouring out pollution into the atmosphere and continuing global warming.

or am I wrong  :hmmm: :veryangry:

exmouthcraig

In EXACTLY the same way after we've stopped everyone drinking and smoking to prevent expensive operations and treatments for associated illnesses.

You have to remember that long term government strategies are based on 3 years hoping that your out of office, voted out by your own party or your voting public will forget what you told them yesterday so you can get away with it.

Mind you leaving the EU magically gifts you £350mil a week so I guess that will cover the shortfall.

Realistically the RFL brackets will have to be shifted to compensate for it, that will certainly wipe their smug grins off their faces while their waiting for the Green Light Grand Prix to take place

guest10040

and let's be honest, half the fun of grand prix is the SOUND....
one run in virtual silence will lose so much of it's attraction as we watch, or don't, a procession of very expensive mobility scooters parade around a course in silence  >:D

PaulCheffus

Quote from: TrevL on June 25, 2022, 03:41:13 PM
Filled up with E5 at the Shell station in Willerby, west Hull, this morning, for my return to North Wales.  Paid £2.07 a litre, nearly swollowed my tongue :goggleeyes: >:D

Hi

E5 at the Shell garage where I live is 196.9 per litre about 50miles south of Hull. It was 199.9 per litre 12 days ago.

Cheers

Paul
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.

Workbench thread
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=54708.msg724969#msg724969

PLD

Quote from: TrevL on June 25, 2022, 03:41:13 PM
Know that one well - office is just across the road behind Waitrose... NEVER use that or the BP branded site opposite accessed off the A164. They are always the most expensive in the Hull area... Go to the SEWELL branded side of the BP site accessed via the shopping park, and it is usually around 2p/litre cheaper than the BP branded side for the same stuff out of the same tanks!

Cheapest E5 in Hull is invariably Sainsburys..

guest10040

not been out today, other than in the fields to exercise HB,
but yesterday in Burgess Hill

Tesco £1.99.9p
Shell £1.99.9p
BP £1.99.9p
all for diesel.

no one seems to want to be the first to break to £2.00.9, but no doubt once one does, the rest will follow.

remember when prices were per GALLON ?
IIRC a gallon is 4.55 litres,
so what's that ?

£9.50p per Gallon

oh for the days of 35p a gallon, though that was for petrol [leaded of course], and before the various governments told us diesel was less polluting, how things change.

geoffc

Saturday on the A34 near Harwell the filling station was 204.9p per litre.

Geoff

stevewalker

Quote from: Redcap244 on June 27, 2022, 01:30:27 PM
no one seems to want to be the first to break to £2.00.9, but no doubt once one does, the rest will follow.

According to a friend of my wife's, one of the local garages was showing 198.9 for diesel today, but actually charging 202.9 on the pumps - I wonder how many were suckered in and couldn't be bothered going elsewhere or filled up without noticing the per litre price on the pump?

Lawrence

Quote from: exmouthcraig on June 25, 2022, 09:18:17 AM
Tell me about it £158 to brim a transit van!! And I've got 2!!! Could be worse.........

Good ladies dad brimmed his Volvo FM on Thursday.......

Pump price was a mere £1425.00!!

Now costing my brother just under £2000 to fill one of his coaches, he has 17 of them to keep going. A couple of them are used for school runs but he is getting no extra from the local authority, he provides rail replacement coaches too, rail companies cannot afford to give him more funds either because their staff demand wage increases that most of the country could only dream of. The contracts to supply various sports teams with transport were negotiated when prices were 'normal' so in effect he is losing money every trip. His day trips and foreign holidays have only just managed to restart, but of course prices have had to go up a little and his customers are feeling the pinch too and there is reticence about booking trips.

He has spent 18 years building his business, from one car, to where he is today, he nearly lost everything during the pandemic and whilst the government threw money at the airlines, rail companies and bus companies, the coach industry got nothing except normal furlough payments. He treats his team with respect and fairness, they repaid this by working for nothing on several occasions during the pandemic, including himself and his manager. He took on and retrained some of the P&O guys who got sacked and replaced and helped others get new jobs. Having had no help from the government previously, they now seem hell bent on putting small companies like his out of business because they are happy to rake in massive tax profits from fuel duty and the tax paid by the fuel companies on their profits. I get that the chancellor has to balance the books but currently small businesses are being killed by this, literally, which led him to having a TIA 2 years ago.

Makes you wonder if it is even worth trying to build a business these days

Bealman

That's really bad.  :thumbsdown:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations