AyJay 2-BIL in N

Started by Bob G, September 01, 2013, 01:18:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob G

Ooo errrr
I think I had better see H's one at TINGs on Saturday to make a decision  :confused2:
I'm not bothered by the price, so long as the quality is there.
I like resin kits - I've won two NGS AMMC cups with resin kits - for a jackshaft shunter and an SR snowplough, and I have two other shunters (the Maunsell and the Hudswell Clarke) so i'm converted.
However, Gareth's comments on quality worry me a lot  :-\ as I have spent some money over the years on resin kits that were just too poorly detailed to make financial sense.
In my view Parkwood make the best resin kits in N - closely followed by TPM (e.g. for their EMU ends and class 33/1 cab fronts).  These are the only N gauge resin kits I am willing to keep and run.  The original Fox models like the hymek, baby deltic and 24 were OK at the time too, but they are no longer available.
Roll on Saturday  :D
Best
Bob

Mr Sprue

Quote from: Bob G on September 02, 2013, 07:57:16 PM
Ooo errrr
I think I had better see H's one at TINGs on Saturday to make a decision  :confused2:
I'm not bothered by the price, so long as the quality is there.

Roll on Saturday  :D
Best
Bob

Hi Bob to be honest I am not a lover of resin as it has limitations and is not as strong as thermoplastic especially on the finer detailed parts were it can become very brittle. Like yourself most kits that I have seen have been of poor quality with the parts needing a lot of finishing work to make them acceptable before any paint touched the surface! 

dodger

Mine arrived a few days ago and whilst the body mouldings are not perfect I was going to start building it to see how bad the finish is at normal viewing distance before undertaking  major surgery. At least it looks like a 2 BIL from an era when they made proper EMU's and it about the only type that will really suit my layout.

Incidently my kit only included 2 bogie frames wheras I was expecting 4 as shown on the website parts list. Could someone please confirm whether theirs has 2 or 4 bogie frames.

Dodger

Tank

Quote from: dodger on September 08, 2013, 06:10:50 PM
...from an era when they made proper EMU's...

So, are mine not proper then?!   :scowl:   :)

Mr Sprue

Quote from: Tank on September 08, 2013, 06:22:59 PM
...from an era when they made proper EMU's...

Uh oh! Not the dreaded can of worms being opened up here now is it!  :D

thebrighton

Incidently my kit only included 2 bogie frames wheras I was expecting 4 as shown on the website parts list. Could someone please confirm whether theirs has 2 or 4 bogie frames.

Greetings,
Mine contained 4 bogie frames.
Gareth

Bob G

dodger

Quote from: Tank on September 08, 2013, 06:22:59 PM

I was brought up on 2 BIL's from the early 50's until they were replaced by 4 COR's, on the Reading line, in the early 70's.

I found emu's from that era had more charm, alot of wood in the bodies, comfortable seats in compartments, whistles and light that went out on conductor rail gaps, unlike much of the stock built from the 60's onwards.

But as someone else said it a proverbial can of worms.

dodger

dodger

Quote from: thebrighton on September 08, 2013, 07:24:28 PM

Greetings,
Mine contained 4 bogie frames.
Gareth

Thanks for that Gareth, I'll get on to them for some more.

Dodger

Tank

Quote from: dodger on September 09, 2013, 06:12:02 AM
I found emu's from that era had more charm, alot of wood in the bodies, comfortable seats in compartments, whistles and light that went out on conductor rail gaps...

Oh, I call these the 'experimental years'!!!!  ;)   :smiley-laughing:

thebrighton

Greetings,
I decided to bite the bullet and have a go at the 2 BIL but I'm still not convinced. Before tidying up I've given it a very light dusting of grey primer and it looks even worse especially the over heavy window frames. They say photos can be cruel but I have to say the one below is one of those exceptions to the rule as it makes it look a bit better!

Due to the disappearing door lines and heavily lined sides and windows frames I've decided to file the sides smooth and rescore the doors. The moulded buffers, none of which point in the right direction, will have to go. The rain strips on the roof also have bits missing so will need replacing.
I'll keep you posted.
Gareth

Southernboy

Good on you for having a go Gareth :)

I think I'd go along with your disapointment judging by your photo ... it definitely looks a bit clunky.

Ultimately it's a judgement call - from normal viewing distance it's probably a good representation and in that respect would look decent-enough on a layout.

But on the other hand for those that like to photgraph their trains up-close and personal it maybe doesn't quite cut-the-mustard.

Either way, I'll be interested to see the final results :)

Adam1701D

That picture certainly doesn't do the BIL any favours. There does seem to be real evidence of 3D printing lines on the bodysides which would need smoothing but may well obliterate the side detail.

The overall shape of the unit is good but may be a step too far in N as a single-piece resin casting. Better to have a mixed media kit with etched or printed vinyl sides, as now appearing from Etched Pixels and N-Train (and BHE have done for years).
Best Regards,
Adam Warr
Peterborough, UK

EtchedPixels

I think Cavndish and in OO PC models started it. Back then it was screenprinted sides and aluminum profiles.
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

dodger

To be quite honest I agree with other that the casting quality and some of the dimensions are poor. However having finished painting one side from normal viewing distance it looks reasonable. Therefore I am not going to spend alot of time trying to improve it.

After all it looks like a 2 BIL and suits my layout better than the 4CEP, but I probably wont be making any more emu kits.

Dodger

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations