Commodore 64

Started by Bealman, March 29, 2013, 11:12:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dorsetmike

Any comments on the AMD processors built in 8 core Graphics processor against separate video cards? My main graphics use is photo and video editing/processing, also software for the plotter cutter; never been into games, apart from playing bridge or cribbage on line

My second PC is mainly dedicated to music, including a virtual pipe organ and music notation software and also spends a lot of time just playing music through a Technics hifi set up. It also stores most of my ripped vinyl, cassette and CD content.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

zwilnik

I think Microsoft struggle with not really owning the Windows platform totally. So they're pushed to do things they don't like so the box shifter manufactures can have all their pre-installed junk (looking at you Lenovo) on the budget machines.

It stems back to Microsoft's original decision to back PC clones by allowing dodgy copies of Windows to swamp the market to get market share. It worked for them then, but they lost control over what specification Windows would need to run on as bigger and bigger PC clone makers dominated the hardware sales. They dragged it back over the last couple of decades, but still beholden to the hardware manufacturers.

With more and more of the software becoming a subscription model and more people switching to tablets rather than budget PCs, Microsoft might be able to get it a bit more under control in future.

Paddy

Hi @Dorsetmike

One of the current battlegrounds between Intel and AMD is integrated graphics.  Both companies see this as a good way to differentiate their processors.  The latest processors have certainly come a long way in this regard and integrated graphics are suitable for many users including those who game occasionally.

However, the integrated graphics still cannot match the performance of a separate graphics card with its own video memory.  You certainly need this for high end gaming and heavy duty graphics/video work.

I cannot really say if the integrated graphics would suit you as I do not know your workload in this area.  If you are planning on editing 4K video regularly then I would say a discreet graphics card is still a must.

EDIT: Of course, you then get in to the AMD vs. Nvidia debate!  ;)

Kind regards

Paddy
HOLLERTON JUNCTION (SHED 13C)
London Midland Region
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=11342.0

BARRIES'S TRAIN SHED - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChVzVVov7HJOrrZ6HRvV2GA

Dorsetmike

Maybe I'm a bit of a luddite sticking with Win 7 Pro 64 bit, with updates turned OFF for the last couple of years. It does all I need, "'tain't broke so why fix it?"  From the moans I see re Win 10 updates I often feel justified by that alone. I don't use farcebook nor any other "soshul meeja" I use Firefox and Thunderbird for internet and Email.

I did look at Linux  - once - when I found no drivers for my OKI colour laser, just a comment that it was only of use as a paper weight!
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Paddy

Hi @Dorsetmike

A lot to be said for "if it ain't broke...".

Windows 7 is/was a very good OS.  All I would suggest is install a decent anti virus toolkit to protect yourself.

Drivers are a perennial problem and is one of the good (and destabilising) features of Windows having been around for so long.

Windows 10 updates have become a bad joke in recent years.  Apparently very much related to losing of experienced testers at Microsoft, removal of testing farms and a switch to much more AI testing.

Personally, I have not had any issues with Windows 10 but even I wait a month now before installing the latest update.

Kind regards

Paddy
HOLLERTON JUNCTION (SHED 13C)
London Midland Region
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=11342.0

BARRIES'S TRAIN SHED - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChVzVVov7HJOrrZ6HRvV2GA

themadhippy

QuoteI did look at Linux  - once - when I found no drivers for my OKI colour laser
I could have said the same about windoze when 98  dropped support for an old  star dot matrix printer.
whats the model number,driver issues aint the fault of linux its down to lazy/paranoid manufacturers,luckily we've just about moved on from the days were  peripherals were made from a defined chipset that made thingst wintel compatible only.

freedom of speech is but a  fallacy.it dosnt exist here

Dorsetmike

QuoteAll I would suggest is install a decent anti virus toolkit to protect yourself.

I've been using AVG for about 15 years, nothing drastic so far, but it does balk at a weekly jigsaw puzzle that I download as a .exe file, recently it's gone over to a preliminary15 second scan after which I can choose to ignore it.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

joe cassidy

My first experience with a desktop computer was with the Commodore as a chemistry student in 1980.

I used it for number-crunching.

The output was printed out on a tiny printer.

I then had to plot graphs by hand using Letraset - remember that ?

Best regards,

Joe

Bealman

[mod]As the originator of this thread, I'm now also going to put on my moderator's hat.... can we stick to the subject, please? Commodore 64, if anyone's forgotten. :beers:[/mod]

And yes, Joe, I do remember letraset!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

zwilnik

Oddly, the C64 was one I got fairly minimal time on when I was first learning to program, although did quite a bit on the Vic 20, Pet, Dragon 32, ZX81 and even an Oric before I got my own Banana ][+ (Apple ][+ clone).
Got some friends who wrote various C64 games amongst others, will be interesting to see if the games on this one have been 'ethically sourced' ie if they bothered to actually license them from the original authors or rights holders :)

Bealman

I assume it's all above board, as the newspaper article says that the big titles aren't there because of such issues.

I'm amazed that people are still producing new software for it!

I had quite a good handle on commodore BASIC, could even work with sprites and PEEK and POKE!

(Cue for appearance from @Newportnobby )

Bealman

Yes, there's a surprising lot of stuff out there! Like many retro things these days, there is a very active cyber-community rocking along!  :thumbsup:

I started on a VIC-20 too, probably one of the first in Australia - I recall pestering the one and only computer shop in Wollongong as to when it was coming in. It had been released almost 12 months in the USA and Europe before it reached these shores.

Pjlons83

Quote from: Bealman on March 29, 2013, 11:12:52 PM
Any other ex 8-bitters on the forum?

I loved our C64. My older brother taught me programming on it too which was cool. I remember that in most games you could press control+run-stop (IIRC) and it would take you into the programming code. I had a couple of football games and I'd change the names to mine and my school friends. Great memories.

"World Games" and "Summer Games" stands out as games the whole family would play together... Thank you for this post just for bringing the memory back  :beers:
Gold Hill - my rule 1, "just for fun" micro layout;

Clouds Hill - My first layout currently on hold;

Bealman

Summer Games is apparently included with the new model.  :thumbsup:

Los Angeles Olympics, 1984!!

themadhippy

Why not build your own

Although im more tempted to give this earlier model a go
freedom of speech is but a  fallacy.it dosnt exist here

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00