EPB's availability?

Started by Littorio, August 14, 2019, 04:16:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Littorio

OK I'm new to N Gauge and just as new to what loco's and/or rolling stock are what to which I apologise if I get anything wrong.

My question relates to if there is or has been available a EPB 4Sub (think that's what it's called) like the one pictured. Used to travel backwards and forwards to and from work on one of these in the early 90's and collage in the 80's.
Just starting out

GrahamB

Nothing available ready to run I'm afraid. Electra Graphics do make a range of overlays https://www.electrarail.co.uk/n-gauge-third-rail-emus-5-c.asp refers.
Tonbridge MRC Member.
My Southwark Bridge thread can be found at https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38683.0
My Southwark Bridge website can be found at https://southwarkbridge.wixsite.com/ngauge

crewearpley40

Intercity

The closest your going to get RTR is the Farish 4CEP (411), it's a nice model, many wish it had been more popular as it may have lead to more SR units (for some reason it wasn't released in NSE, only green and blue/grey).

Steven B

Your picture looks to be of a 2EPB or 4EPB; Neither of these is a 4SUB

The 4SUB were Southern Railway EMUs, built by adding an extra carriage to a 3SUBs during the early 1940s. The 3SUBs dated back to 1915. The last one was withdrawn on 1983.

The EPB were build by BR in 1955 to a design based on the Mk1 coach body. They lasted until 1995.

Wikipedia is very good for giving a general overview of British locos & multiple units.

The Farish 4CEP was only released in Green and Blue/Grey as they produced the original, non-refurbished unit. NSE was only carried by the units refurbished in the late 1970s. As built the 4CEP had guard's compartments in both driving cars. When refurbished, the guard's compartment was moved to one of the intermediate cars with the former guard's space being rebuilt for passengers.

This means that the 'as built' Farish 4CEP could only carry green and blue/grey. For blue/grey, NSE and privatisation era liveries they would have had to do the rebuilt units. Bachmann/Farish obviously thought there was more money in the steam era end of the market than the privatisation era end.

Steven B.

honk843

Quote from: Intercity on August 14, 2019, 08:54:30 AM
The closest your going to get RTR is the Farish 4CEP (411), it's a nice model, many wish it had been more popular as it may have lead to more SR units (for some reason it wasn't released in NSE, only green and blue/grey).
I think Bachman had intended to do a refurbished version of this so NSE and Jaffa liveries etc. but the take up was not as good as they had expected so it was shelved /cancelled -or that may have been an excuse. The same goes for the 4-EPB and 2-EPB. BHE are you route to a 4EPB in kit form although you could also have a look at Ayejay models if want something similar say a 4-SUB.

NTrain

Which line did you travel on, as it may help to narrow down the type of unit, but your picture looks like a Thumper to me, one of the Class 200's.....

njee20

I'd personally be twitchy about Ayjay models, I've seen a few thread like this one.

red_death

The picture is 6259 which is a 2EPB.  BHE are your best bet for a 2EPB or 4EPB kit.

Cheers Mike

Adam1701D

I do a range of 2 and 4-EPB vinyls in all appropriate liveries, designed to fit a stripped down, old-style Farish Mk1. For best resullts, B&H Enterprises produces end and underframe castings and this can be motorised with a Tomix TM-18 Chassis.
Best Regards,
Adam Warr
Peterborough, UK

Littorio

Quote from: NTrain on August 14, 2019, 09:47:35 AM
Which line did you travel on, as it may help to narrow down the type of unit, but your picture looks like a Thumper to me, one of the Class 200's.....

I used to travel on them from Blackfriers to Beckenham Junction in the early 90's - Network South East I think but remember them being blue/grey.

Picture is not mine, it looked like the units I travelled on so just used a photo off the net as an example.

Guy's thank you all for the information it looks like it is a class 415 4EPB.
Now looking at the BH kits where do you guys get the running gear for them? Remember I'm very new to all this so have no spare parts etc only 3 brand new steam locos and a Class 43 HST.
Just starting out

NTrain

As mentioned by Adam above, you can motorise the unit with a Tomytec TM-18 or TM-17 chassis. The bogie wheelbase is slightly short, but with cosmetic bogie sideframes in place, it is hard to notice.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations