Slimrails/Chivers Finelines

Started by Phil Hendry, May 21, 2013, 09:39:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phil Hendry

Hi folks,

I'm not sure where to post this - mods, feel free to move it if I've stuck it in the wrong place!

Sometime, somewhere, in my future, there's some sort of N gauge steel works - or steel stockholder, or something like that... It's one of those iconic rail-served industries.  I love steel wagons - grubby, filthy-dirty they may be, but there's something fascinating about them.  I've been collecting short rakes of different sorts for ages.

I was somewhat annoyed that Chivers Finelines stopped producing their kit for a BBA before I'd got around to ordering any.  Anyway, with 'Slimrails' having started producing some of Chivers' range of N Gauge wagons, I decided to fire off an email to see if they were thinking of reintroducing the BBA kit to the range.

I received a very nice reply from Simon Chivers (son of Roger), to say that if I wanted any, they could make me some, which is really good news. I'm ordering eight next week, once I've got money in the account again!

Thought I'd let you know, so that if you wanted any you don't need to be moping around wishing you'd bought them when they were available and haunting eBay hoping someone will offer some for auction.

http://www.slimrails.co.uk/indexNgauge.html
I am not a complete lunatic - there are pieces missing!

DCCDave

Thanks for the heads up Phil. Looks to be some useful kits there.

Cheers
Dave

Chris in Prague

Alas, that URL no longer works. Does anyone know what has happened to the Chivers / Slimrails kits, e.g., the RC906 N Gauge LNER Extra LONG CCT?

PaulCheffus

Quote from: Chris in Prague on August 28, 2019, 02:28:20 PM
Alas, that URL no longer works. Does anyone know what has happened to the Chivers / Slimrails kits, e.g., the RC906 N Gauge LNER Extra LONG CCT?

Hi

They have closed unfortunately due to health/family reasons. There is a thread on RMWeb here
https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/146457-slimrails-part-of-finelines-to-close/&tab=comments#comment-3631365

Cheers

Paul
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.

Workbench thread
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=54708.msg724969#msg724969

Chris in Prague

Quote from: PaulCheffus on August 28, 2019, 02:33:12 PM
Quote from: Chris in Prague on August 28, 2019, 02:28:20 PM

Hi

They have closed unfortunately due to health/family reasons. There is a thread on RMWeb here
https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/146457-slimrails-part-of-finelines-to-close/&tab=comments#comment-3631365

Cheers

Paul

Many thanks, Paul. I wonder if there is any chance of the NGS taking over the kits?

guest311

so sorry to read of their closure,

have a number of their kits, mostly the OTAs, and I found the kits to be superb, as was the service.

Chris in Prague

Quote from: class37025 on August 28, 2019, 03:00:50 PM
so sorry to read of their closure,

have a number of their kits, mostly the OTAs, and I found the kits to be superb, as was the service.

Agreed; great kits and great service. I didn't even know they had closed.

Southerngooner

Has anyone heard any more about the future ownership of the Chivers/Slimrails N gauge kits. These were some of the best on the market and it would be a shame for them to be lost to the market. I know the reasons behind the closure, I just wondered if there was any news about either Peco or the NGS taking them on?
Dave

Builder of "Brickmakers Lane" and member of "James Street" operating team.

Chris in Prague

Quote from: Southerngooner on May 22, 2020, 11:15:54 AM
Has anyone heard any more about the future ownership of the Chivers/Slimrails N gauge kits. These were some of the best on the market and it would be a shame for them to be lost to the market. I know the reasons behind the closure, I just wondered if there was any news about either Peco or the NGS taking them on?

Seconded! It would be a great loss if they were never to be available, again. Peco would be logical as I think they took over the 00 Gauge kits?

ScottishModeller

Hi guys,

My understanding is that the range is not for sale currently.

I suggest you keep watching for developments via the website.

Phil H
Thanks
Phil Holman

Chris in Prague

Roy L S

Quote from: Chris in Prague on May 22, 2020, 01:59:43 PM
But which Website, please?

Good question, I can't find a current website under "Chivers Finelines" or "Slimrails", could be just me.

Like others I hope they resurface, they are lovely kits.

Roy

Ben A

Hello all,

Over the years I asked Roger Chivers on numerous occasions whether he would take on special commissions, or sell tooling to the NGS.

He always declined on the basis that he did not want to have deadlines imposed on him.

I have a rake of his BBAs and a rake of OTAs.  They are beautiful mouldings but mine do not run well, and the couplers are problematic.

Cheers

Ben A.

Crompton Power

I second the comments above that it would be a great loss if Roger's kits are never available again, they go together so well, probably some of the best in my opinion.
I have built various different Chivers kits over the years and have managed to get them to run fairly well with the exception of the bogies on the BBAs. I will persevere and try to get them to run better.

Keith.

Buzzard

Quote from: Crompton Power on May 22, 2020, 02:55:09 PMwith the exception of the bogies on the BBAs. I will persevere and try to get them to run better.

As someone who's got 12 in painting and 6, which were the final ones that Slimrails had in stock, still bagged up please could you expand on the running issues.

Thanks

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations