Adams O2 steam locomotive kit

Started by Mr Sprue, February 19, 2020, 08:22:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TalyllynJon

Quote from: thebrighton on February 19, 2020, 11:12:39 AM
I built my O2 using the NBrass G6 kit on a heavily modified Farish chassis.

There is also a 3D print available. This link is to one in its original condition but Simon laso does the IOW version: https://www.shapeways.com/product/MALNH2UMF/b-148fs-lswr-o2-loco?optionId=146518402&li=shops . Again you'd need to rustle up a chassis.

That is a truly stunning model - I'm looking at it, blown up on a large screen and it looks fantastic. If you told me it was O gauge I'd believe you - hard to get my head round the fact that it's barely two inches long! It also gives me hope. The quality of may r-t-r models these days is so high that it puts me off even thinking about kit building, let alone scratch building, because the results (of my efforts at least) are likely to be so poor by comparison. How on earth did you do the lining?

Railwaygun

Quote from: Mr Sprue on February 20, 2020, 07:24:10 PM
Quote from: Railwaygun on February 20, 2020, 05:43:29 PM
Quote from: Mr Sprue on February 19, 2020, 05:23:19 PM
I think I might be well tempted to buy an N Brass G6 kit, I wonder if they will be at the Ally Pally this year. :hmmm:

not mentioned here

https://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/events/20213-WarnersExhibitionsExhibition

Do you mean no one has mentioned the show on the forum?  :goggleeyes:

they have now!
Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done and what I had toiled to achieve, everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind;
Ecclesiastes 2:11

This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!

https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

NGF Military threads

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?board=146.0

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

10mm / N armour Threads
https://www.10mm-wargaming.com/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

Mr Sprue

Quote from: TalyllynJon on February 20, 2020, 10:19:23 PM

There is also a 3D print available. This link is to one in its original condition but Simon laso does the IOW version: https://www.shapeways.com/product/MALNH2UMF/b-148fs-lswr-o2-loco?optionId=146518402&li=shops . Again you'd need to rustle up a chassis.

That is a truly stunning model - I'm looking at it, blown up on a large screen and it looks fantastic. If you told me it was O gauge I'd believe you - hard to get my head round the fact that it's barely two inches long! It also gives me hope. The quality of may r-t-r models these days is so high that it puts me off even thinking about kit building, let alone scratch building, because the results (of my efforts at least) are likely to be so poor by comparison. How on earth did you do the lining?

That is the problem with RTR models today....they are taking the skill of model making away from modeling loco's.    I've made my mind up though, I want one so I may even end up buying two for an I.O.W layout I want to build.

thebrighton

Quote from: TalyllynJon on February 20, 2020, 10:19:23 PM

Many thanks for your kind comments.
The only advice I can give over kit building is take your time and make sure it all fits together nicely before making things permanent. Painting can be the make or break of a model. I don't own an airbrush so this was hand painted with Fox lining then a coat of varnish from a Railmatch rattle can.

Mr Sprue

Quote from: thebrighton on February 21, 2020, 09:40:59 AM
Many thanks for your kind comments.
The only advice I can give over kit building is take your time and make sure it all fits together nicely before making things permanent. Painting can be the make or break of a model. I don't own an airbrush so this was hand painted with Fox lining then a coat of varnish from a Railmatch rattle can.

The painting side of things will be a bit easier for me ( I hope ) Black!  I want to model W20 'Shanklin' and W21 'Sandown'

thebrighton

Quote from: Mr Sprue on February 21, 2020, 05:37:41 PM
The painting side of things will be a bit easier for me ( I hope ) Black!  I want to model W20 'Shanklin' and W21 'Sandown'
A can of Halfords matt black will do the job nicely or gloss to get a good key for transfers with a coat of varnish.

JimSan

First of all, that is a lovely model of an O2, after having a go at the G6 myself and learning that they are nearly identical, been meaning to have a go at making one myself.
Though might have a go at the Recreation21 version as Brass is tad bit too fiddly and have had good results with my last 3D printed kit.
Bosnport - A Fictional P'Mouth and S'Sea based Layout upon a Bunk Bed
Gosport Railworks - My Youtube Channel
3D Printing Services

Primary Modelling eras/region: Era 3 '30s Southern, Era 4-5 BR(S) and Era 8 Network Southeast

Mr Sprue

Hopefully my 3D printer combined with some brass will help create the Westinghouse braking system!

Photo by: Ben Brooksbank Shed bash UK

Dr Al

Quote from: Mr Sprue on February 22, 2020, 08:30:16 AM
Hopefully my 3D printer combined with some brass will help create the Westinghouse braking system!

N Brass locos do parts for Westinghouse pump - I used them on my Caly tank build (see my workbench). You might save some effort using those as a starting point.

If/when you proceed with this one, do create a workbench thread and show the build!

Cheers,
Alan

P.s. I dropped you a message about the 47 boxes and couplings - no hurry, just in case you missed.

Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

Dr Al

The quality of finish on this is stunning, even moreso when you say you did not use an airbrush.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

Dorsetmike

BHE also do Westinghouse pumps, I used them on my M7 push pull hacks

BHE308 1 westinghouse pump  £2.00
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Mr Sprue

Quote from: Dorsetmike on February 22, 2020, 12:09:06 PM
BHE also do Westinghouse pumps, I used them on my M7 push pull hacks

BHE308 1 westinghouse pump  £2.00

I didn't know that... I'll have to get Bob to reserve me a couple of packets.

Thanks
Dave

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations