Server Upgrade

Started by guest2, December 06, 2018, 03:38:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nigel Cliffe

Is there some "optimisation" to be done on the new server ?   Because at present the load time for the entire forum, subsections within it, and getting to posts is terribly slow compared to the old forum.  Sufficiently slow that if that persists, I'll be using the forum a lot less. 

- Nigel

Bealman

Nigel

I'm in Australia, mate and it's super quick on my phone. A little bit of patience please?

I don't think that a few glitches are any reason to leave the forum!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Tank

Nigel, I did say in reply #34 that once everything is loaded it would run faster.

Currently, with no images from the gallery uploaded, the forum is constantly searching for the missing files and slowing it down.  As well as other small problems.  Please give us time.

Chris.

Snowwolflair

Yes I agree with @Tank Threads with no embedded pictures are quick but those with lots of "unavailable" photos have a 2-3 second delay which is to be expected.  Add to that the upload of pictures in the background the poor little thing must be shattered  8)

Keep up the good work :thumbsup:

Bob Tidbury

Nigel ,I agree that the Forum is a bit slower at the moment  but Tank has explained that once everything has been loaded it should be quicker and there will be other benefits as well so just be a little bit more patient Even Rome wasn't built in a day ,and allthough I know nothing about this sort of thing I think there is quite a lot of work involved you don't just flick a switch and hay presto it all works but  I know it will be done as soon as possible ,It's certainately not a reason to leave this fantastic Forum ,if it took forever to load I will never leave .
:thankyousign: to Jean , Tank and everyone else involved ,and don't rush to finish the work better to be slow but get it right first  time .
Bob Tidbury

weave

Hi Jean, Tank and the crew,

Just giving my thanks to you all and like most to say that the Forum was greatly missed here over some of the Weekend.

Luckily I had the footie and I did actually get some things done on the layout.

Am still confused about the gallery/posting pics situation. I just post directly from 'my pictures' (Windows 7) to my post. I think they go into the gallery? but I don't need them to. So, do I still have to wait to do this (NO problem if I do) but just seeing.

Computer dunce as you all know.

Cheers again weave  :beers:

Papyrus

:sleep: Eh, hum, ha what??  :confused2:

I appear to have missed all the excitement. Haven't had the opportunity to drop in for a few days, and now I find all hell has broken loose! I'm not finding it any slower* than it was before, and the 'Not secure' thingy on the address line has grown up into a proper padlock.  :claphappy:

Thank you to @Tank and all the techies for wielding their soldering irons into the dawn.

Cheers,

Chris

* PS. Just hit the 'Preview' button and that, admittedly, was a bit slower than usual, but that's hardly a major issue.

Tank

Hi all,

An update for you.  Currently the gallery is almost completed.  It has been very hard to download all of the files from the old host, and they have taken their time in helping.  However, Jean has been working hard to resolve all of the many problems that we've had.

The latest one is that the Gallery files are all in Zip files.  Unfortunately I'm running out of space on the new server, so need to upgrade to a 100GB SDD to allow us to move forwards.  This should happen shortly and hopefully the Gallery will be restored in the next 24 hours.

After that, we can look at resolving the actual issues on the forum.  :)  Why did I start this forum again?!?!?   :'( ;) ;D

Webbo

Tank, you are doing the Lord's work.

Just tried to upload a picture, but it didn't go. Presumably this is still part of the changeover process?

Webbo

Tank

Yes, it still won't work until it's finished Webbo.  Hopefully in the next 24 hours.  Thanks!

Bealman

Major work.

From this distant point, all I can say is, thank you and keep it up, boss!

daffy

Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Yet_Another

If you're running out of space before the gallery's even loaded, do we need to chip in for another 100GB straight away?
Tony

'...things are not done by those who sit down to count the cost of every thought and act.' - Sir Daniel Gooch of IKB

dannyboy

I've put a shilling in the meter already this month, but I will gladly put another in if it is needed.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Bealman

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations