The angry thread

Started by findus, March 29, 2011, 09:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nookfield

Quote from: Newportnobby on March 13, 2019, 04:18:16 PM
It seems the Beeb cannot grasp it was therefore not cancelled but postponed. ::)

The Oxford English Dictionary definition of the verb 'cancel' is  "Decide or announce that (a planned event) will not take place." as Holby City did not take place it was therefore cancelled.

The BBC could also have stated that it had been rescheduled or as you state postponed.

Newportnobby

There are many terms in the O.E.D nowadays that I would never use and probably wouldn't understand. I was always taught 'cancellation' meant it was permanently gone whereas 'postponed' meant deferred to a later date. Even now, in the footie results if you see 'P-P' the reader states 'match postponed'. (Not Port Perran :no:)

dannyboy

Quote from: nookfield on March 13, 2019, 10:23:47 PM

The Oxford English Dictionary definition of the verb 'cancel' is  "Decide or announce that (a planned event) will not take place." as Holby City did not take place it was therefore cancelled.

Okay, splitting hairs time.  >:D .  The episode will take place, only not at the time originally scheduled.

:sorrysign:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

RailGooner

guest311

while, of course, our politicians gave all the IRA b******s a free pardon years ago.

they blow up RUC guys, and their families, blow up pubs, shops, offices, hotels etc, ambush troops, while of course hiding behind a screen of women and kids, and get away scot free.

however, be a squaddie in a riot situation, fired on by snipers and return fire, and you'll be pilloried.

AIN'T BRITISH JUSTICE GREAT  :censored:

did my time in NI, nothing but respect for the squaddies, RUC and Ulster TA lads, and their families.

Fardap

There should have been an equal amnesty when the pardons and the agreement not to pursue terrorist convictions of the IRA for the Soldiers that all served, what loon would accept amnesty of prosecution on one side?

:censored: me off!

guest311

Quote from: Fardap on March 14, 2019, 02:51:08 PM
There should have been an equal amnesty when the pardons and the agreement not to pursue terrorist convictions of the IRA for the Soldiers that all served, what loon would accept amnesty of prosecution on one side?

:censored: me off!

who'd risk joining the forces now ? you can really rely on them to support you, can't you ?

errrr

:thumbsdown:

Caz

[mod]I understand the feeling on this subject but can I please gently remind forum members of the forum rules on political comments, thank you[/mod]

Caz
layout here
Claywell, High Hackton & Bampney Intro
Hackton info
Bampney info

guest311

Lawrence

Quote from: Caz on March 14, 2019, 08:13:30 PM
I understand the feeling on this subject but can I please gently remind forum members of the forum rules on political comments, thank you

I don't think this portion of the thread should be allowed to continue, as you say political comments are not welcome on this forum and feelings will run high amongst members from both sides of the argument.
Might I suggest, rather than close the Angry thread, members self moderate and take up their respective sides of the argument with the powers that be.

weave

Lawrence,

It hadn't continued, except you (and now me) continuing it. Caz warned, class 37025 apologised. What's the problem?

weave.

Caz

Quote from: Lawrence on March 14, 2019, 09:44:01 PM
Quote from: Caz on March 14, 2019, 08:13:30 PM
I understand the feeling on this subject but can I please gently remind forum members of the forum rules on political comments, thank you

I don't think this portion of the thread should be allowed to continue, as you say political comments are not welcome on this forum and feelings will run high amongst members from both sides of the argument.
Might I suggest, rather than close the Angry thread, members self moderate and take up their respective sides of the argument with the powers that be.

Exactly the reason for my moderator comment - if necessary we can delete the items but would prefer our members to self moderate on this friendly forum.  If any more political posts appear they will be deleted.
Caz
layout here
Claywell, High Hackton & Bampney Intro
Hackton info
Bampney info

RailGooner

guest311

back to safer ground, hopefully.

having finally received SWMBO's hoover, after a 679 mile tour of the North of England, from a sender 51 miles away [see previous tirade against Parcel-2-Go and DPD] our daughter decided she wanted one as well, so against my better judgement I placed the order.

again, dropped off at the DPD collection point the same day as order placed, 12th, then sat there till the 14th before being collected.
as previously sender had paid for next day delivery, which should have been the 14th.

queried with P2G last night as to why parcel had sat there for two days and was told 'high winds' had delayed the pickup [hopefully the same winds blew the leaves of the rails  :no:] and advised that delivery would be today.

just checked and    :o  it has been to Birmingham hub from Dartford and back to Burgess hill, arr at 06:03 this morning, and will be delivered between 12:25 and 13:25 today.

so perhaps not the happy thread, but maybe not the angry thread, but as suggested by another member, maybe the slightly miffed thread  :)

update.....

arrived at 12:35 safe and sound, so happy SWMBO, happy daughter ....

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £67.34
Below Goal: £32.66
Site Currency: GBP
67% 
March Donations