The angry thread

Started by findus, March 29, 2011, 09:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bealman

Probably happened before Christmas  ;D
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

dannyboy

David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Malc

Many, many moons ago, a pal of mine offered me a lift in his Morry 1000 traveller. I noticed something large and heavy in the back. On enquiring what it was, I discovered that he and a few mates had been a bit rowdy in a pub garden. They were asked to leave, so they nicked an ornamental garden in a large concrete urn. On the way back, we passed said pub and with a great deal of effort managed to get it out of the car and left it in the front garden of the pub.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

guest311

yet again this evening SWMBO tried to turn on the TV to watch some mindless soap, to be greeted by, lets describe as, a shredded screen.

yet again retuned, managed to get BBC, but of course she wanted ITV ... :censored:

why is it, that while the government is so quick to take our money for licences, they couldn't give a flying  :censored: as to whether or not we can get what we pay for ?  :veryangry:

as usual, of course, it seems to be my fault  :'(

and of course, you can't not pay the licence fee and just watch DVDs, because 'you are capable of watching tv programs !'

not most of the time thanks to you interference in what used to work well.

where is that bottle of scottish water, I'm heading to the shed !

themadhippy

Quoteyou can't not pay the licence fee and just watch DVDs, because 'you are capable of watching tv programs !'

Disconect and cut  the aerial cable,detune all the channels and you dont need a license as your no longer capable ,the "capable of" clause  came in  if you had a black and white tv  and  video recorder that was capable of receiving colour transmissions,you still needed a colour licence,not black and white . Strangely you don't need a tv license to watch recordings made by others,as long as there licensed,but then your getting into copyright territory 
freedom of speech is but a  fallacy.it dosnt exist here

NScaleNotes

Quote from: class37025 on February 14, 2019, 07:35:06 PM

and of course, you can't not pay the licence fee and just watch DVDs, because 'you are capable of watching tv programs !'

Not if you've just got a computer monitor and a DVD player with HDMI connections and don't watch TV online ;)

Newportnobby

Every now and then when turning the TV on I get "New channels found. Please re-tune or press exit" so I re-tune (takes about 3 minutes). However.......sometimes I end up with Channel 4 Wales on my lounge TV and 'English' Channel 4 on my bedroom TV - yet they are both running off the same aerial via a splitter. How does that happen please? ??? :confused1:

The Q

Quote from: Newportnobby on February 15, 2019, 10:14:34 AM
Every now and then when turning the TV on I get "New channels found. Please re-tune or press exit" so I re-tune (takes about 3 minutes). However.......sometimes I end up with Channel 4 Wales on my lounge TV and 'English' Channel 4 on my bedroom TV - yet they are both running off the same aerial via a splitter. How does that happen please? ??? :confused1:
I think you are situated where you are receiving a transmission  direct from Wales.
Most Aerials are now wideband to get all the channels, that now means you often receive signals from more than one transmitter. Whereas in the past aerials were narrow band and the other transmitters were not picked up so well.

Newportnobby

Quote from: The Q on February 15, 2019, 10:21:10 AM
I think you are situated where you are receiving a transmission from, direct from Wales.
Most Aerials are now wideband to get all the channels, that now means you often receive signals from more than one transmitter. Whereas in the past aerials were narrow band and the other transmitters were not picked up so well.

I can appreciate that but with one aerial and a splitter how do I end up with different channels in different rooms? That's the baffling bit for me :dunce:

NScaleNotes

Not an expert on this but is there any overlap in channels particularly now we also have digital broadcasts?
A bit like the 'channels' on a wireless computer network can overlap?

Perhaps if the tuners in the two separate TVs are slightly different or one is digital and one is analogue then one TV can pick up one station and the other picks up the other where the channels overlap.

The Q

Quote from: Newportnobby on February 15, 2019, 10:37:09 AM
Quote from: The Q on February 15, 2019, 10:21:10 AM
I think you are situated where you are receiving a transmission from, direct from Wales.

I can appreciate that but with one aerial and a splitter how do I end up with different channels in different rooms? That's the baffling bit for me :dunce:
Cable lengths and splitters influence the strength of the signals that are passed on to the TV to receive.

One of the two transmitters will be at a higher frequency range in the band than the other.
As a guess I'd say one of your two lines has a higher impedance at higher frequencies than the other.  So the TVs are assuming which ever is the stronger signal they receive is the local one. It's even possible the frequency response of the TVs receiver could be different, so also affecting the selection..

Newportnobby

Thanks. Even to this duffer that makes sense. This 'signal' stuff is just another black art to me, and seeing some of the  :poop: in the TV guide convinces me 'tis the Devil's work

The Q

Quote from: Newportnobby on February 15, 2019, 11:03:06 AM
Thanks. Even to this duffer that makes sense. This 'signal' stuff is just another black art to me, and seeing some of the  :poop: in the TV guide convinces me 'tis the Devil's work

In the days when manual tuning was needed I've spent many hours by a radio or radar receiver tuning away..

On one system I had to get two gunn oscillators, two Specturm analysers, and a radar receiver / transmitter , all on tune at the same time, sometimes it would take half a day, others ten minutes..

Newportnobby

Quote from: The Q on February 15, 2019, 11:08:49 AM

On one system I had to get two gunn oscillators, two Specturm analysers, and a radar receiver / transmitter , all on tune at the same time, sometimes it would take half a day, others ten minutes..

That's fused the brain cell.
Now I shall have to lie down in a darkened room for the rest of the day :doh:

guest311

sounds like a good plan  :thumbsup:
don't forget to take your [scottish] medicine first  :D

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £67.34
Below Goal: £32.66
Site Currency: GBP
67%