a complete newbie !

Started by cjbeattie, January 12, 2015, 01:00:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cjbeattie

Hey all

Im new to n gauge and to railways since I was 7 and had a OO hornby railway... so  its all new...

Do all N gauge regardless of make and brand work on N gauge railways? The reason im asking is that on eBay I see a lot of '@make@  compatible so it makes me wonder if some brands don't work with controller/track and others do!
;D
What is the best way to do it? Buy a starter kit? Ive seen kits With engine and a loop of track or buy it separately?

One last thing, I have a bad dust allergy so how do guys keep the dust off your railway sets? a dyson which i have will pull up everything  pva glued or not!

Any help would be good to a newcomer

Thanks

C J BEATTIE

Bealman

G'day from Australia, and welcome to the NGF!  :thumbsup:

Addressing your initial question, the answer is yes - all N gauge locos will run on N gauge track, regardless of brand of loco or track.

However, things are not quite that simple - you need to decide if you are going to run DC or the latest method of operating trains - DCC (Digital Command Control). Also if you are going to run British prototype, then you have only a choice of three major brands - Graham Farish by Bachmann, Dapol, or Union Mills. American and Japanese prototypes are from other companies, Kato being one of the most respected. Continental models are produced by a number of European based companies.

Regarding track, Peco is a major player, but there are other brands - Kato produce a very user-friendly plug and play track system which is gaining popularity among forum members.

For a total beginner, a starter set is probably the best way to go, and there are many available from most manufacturers. Don't be in a mad rush to jump in - have a good read of the stuff here on the forum (the search function is useful in that regard).

We're a friendly (if slightly mad) bunch here, and one thing's for sure - you are guaranteed to get heaps of answers to your questions, so don't be afraid to ask away!

Once again, welcome to the NGF!  :thumbsup:

Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Ditape

I personally have never found a problem with mix and match at one time or another I have run Arnold, Fleischmann, mini trix ,lima, graham farish, dapol, and peco all mixed up with no problems.

As to starting out if a starter set has the loco you like in it it is as good away as any to start and usually works out cheaper than buying all the bits separately.

That's my 2 peneth worth I am sure you will get much more advice from other helpful members.

BTW  welcome to the forum and to n gauge modelling.  :NGaugersRule:
Diane Tape

silly moo

One thing to be careful of is the radius of track curves you use on your layout, very tightly curved track can cause problems for (mainly) larger steam locos.

One advantage of sets is that the track and loco supplied will be compatible. They are also good value for money as they are often subsidised by the manufacturer to entice newcomers into the hobby.

:welcomesign:

railsquid

Quote from: Bealman on January 12, 2015, 03:12:00 AMWe're a friendly (if slightly mad) bunch here

What do you mean, "slightly mad"?  :hmmm:

Anyway, to add to the above, in general mix'n'match is in general no problem; I run Farish, Dapol, Tomix, Kato, Modemo and Microace trains all on Kato/Tomix track from a Kato controller.

One other thing to watch out for is that OO-gauge controllers may not be suitable for N-gauge motors, but if you stick to ones known as suitable for N-gauge you should be fine.

Bealman

Good point.  :thumbsup:

Stay away from feedback controllers also.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

trainsdownunder

Slightly mad - if only :laugh3:

Seriously though welcome to the Funny Farm Forum from another Downunder.

I've mixed n matched stuff for most of my modelling life without too many issues, but then the quality has been improving over the years so everything now seems so much easier to mix. I run Rule 1 locos (Rule 1 - its my layout - I do what I like!) and over the last couple of years have become a Kato Unitrack fan for my track requirements.

DC or DCC is probably the big decision, and there's loads of advice/opinions here. Me. I've been a DCC fan for years and cant imagine ever using DC  for my layout. Speak to a local dealer or guys at a local exhibition to get a good cross view of detail before saying goodbye to your cash.

Whatever your choice, whatever you run, there'll always be someone here to offer advice - as advanced or simple as you want.

The one thing we all have in common ...... not deep enough pockets !

Luke Piewalker

For the dust issue, I lob a sheet over my layout. Obviously consideration of potential fragility of that over which it is being thrown is required. I put springy doorstops on the corners of my layout to try and negate that. I did used to have a very light plastic dust sheet... wonder where I put it...  :-[

Newportnobby

Hello CJ, and welcome to the N Gauge Laughing Academy Forum :wave:

I'd suggest you start small and add to/hone any skills you have with electrickery, scenery etc before planning anything too big.
If you need to negotiate the space available with anyone else do it now or you end up dreaming of a monster layout. Then try to find a track plan that does what you want it to and which will fit into the (negotiated) space.
Take a deep breath, have a glass of your favourite drink and then seek further advice from our collective. The forum does save you time and money!

cjbeattie

Thanks for the warm welcome guys and advice...

Ja I been reading up on dcc and dc and it sounds brilliant compared to my old train set when I was a kid where u could just have one train running on a line.. I think the set was made by 'mainline' a hornby rival shows how old I am lol

Kept my engine from then though an old 00 steam engine catching dust in the cupboard...

I have been looking at this to start with

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/370-110-Depo-Master-Train-Set-Starter-Model-Rail-Graham-Farish-/171479712199?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item27ecfcc1c7

And then maybe get a few second hand engines to go with from eBay..I have aspergers so don't work so money is an issue but it seems the biggest problem is the engines and track everything else dosn't look that bad for price.. Could I add a dcc controller at a later date to this? If the kit comes with a dc?

Is there any set backs apart from warranty obviously with buying second hand engine? Do these motors have a set life span or what? Sorry for stupid questions just goto make sure before I make the plunge..

And once again thanks for the warm welcome

Craig  :ngauge:

railsquid

Quote from: cjbeattie on January 12, 2015, 01:16:56 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome guys and advice...

Ja I been reading up on dcc and dc and it sounds brilliant compared to my old train set when I was a kid where u could just have one train running on a line.. I think the set was made by 'mainline' a hornby rival shows how old I am lol

Meh, my Mainline trainset was the third one I got (following on from some rather mediocre Lima sets), now where's my free bus pass?

Quote from: cjbeattie on January 12, 2015, 01:16:56 PMKept my engine from then though an old 00 steam engine catching dust in the cupboard...

Not a green 4-6-0 by any chance?

Quote from: cjbeattie on January 12, 2015, 01:16:56 PM
I have been looking at this to start with

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/370-110-Depo-Master-Train-Set-Starter-Model-Rail-Graham-Farish-/171479712199?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item27ecfcc1c7

And then maybe get a few second hand engines to go with from eBay..I have aspergers so don't work so money is an issue but it seems the biggest problem is the engines and track everything else dosn't look that bad for price.. Could I add a dcc controller at a later date to this? If the kit comes with a dc?

You can convert to DCC at a later date; however if your locomotive(s) don't have a DCC socket, it's trickier to install the DCC chip (not impossible, apparently, just tricky).

Quote from: cjbeattie on January 12, 2015, 01:16:56 PMIs there any set backs apart from warranty obviously with buying second hand engine? Do these motors have a set life span or what? Sorry for stupid questions just goto make sure before I make the plunge..

I wouldn't classify myself as an expert (I only acquired my first N-gauge train about 6 months ago), but as far as I'm aware, motors are usually pretty robust (here's an interesting page on the subject I came across the other day). With older Farish motive power units you need to watch out for a phenomenon known as "split gears", though personally I have yet to experience that problem despite having a couple of 2nd-hand locos.

Agrippa

The loco with that set is DC, some locos can be converted , but I don't know about that one,
I've a feeling it's not. The set is DC, and you could switch to DCC in the future,however to
get several DCC ready locos and the DCC controller would be quite costly.

With s/h engines a bit like s/h cars, you could get a bargain or a dud. If buying
s/h probably best to get one from an established dealer then the warranty should
cover you for a reasonable time. If you buy one from a private seller it could run fine
then pack in a week later and you'd have little chance of a refund. Prices of s/h stuff
are mentioned elsewhere on the forum and a few members including myself
think these are high compared with new guaranteed stuff.

I don't know what the lifespan of a motor is, maybe someone else knows,
but with careful use should be reasonable, with s/h though it could have
5 hours or 50 hours use and unlike cars there's no mileometer!

Hope this helps!
Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

scotsoft

Hi CJ and  :welcomesign:

You have been given some very sound advice already and before going after that set on eBay, have a shop around the various online shops as you may find it cheaper  :thumbsup:

I use Kato Unitrack and for a beginner it is very much plug and play, the points all have the motors fitted so adding some points to your layout is as simple as adding extra track.

However do have a good read and don't be in a rush to open your wallet, bounce any possible purchases on the forum and our members will help you make the cheapest decision  ;)

cheers John.

cjbeattie

I will thanks john...

already shopping around to see if i can get it cheaper..

if i bought some  Kato track would i be able to add to the existing tracK? if the existing track isnt kato? it seems cheaper than peco (for some reason)..

Ill stick to DC for now until i get my footing then change.. DCC really dos sound a huge step up though as in controlling your trains etc..

once again thanks for your help guys

Craig

scotsoft

Hi Craig,

You can use Kato Unitrack with other types of track, Kato do a conversion piece to facilitate this.

http://www.traintrax.co.uk/20045-snap-track-conversion-track-p-282.html

If you did buy an oval of Kato Unitrack and decided it was not for you, then you could always use it for a running in track for any new locos you may purchase in the future.  There are many options you could follow.

cheers John.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations