How prototypical are you?

Started by scottmitchell74, January 25, 2014, 06:39:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

portland-docks

how prototypical? well lets see....

black 5s hauling the teaks....a spam can on plum and custard gresleys....tornado on windcutters.....L94 on snow plough duties....LNER apple green locos hauling staniers...

dont think im very prototypical lol, i run what i like! the joys of heritage railways!
Visit my heritage Railway "moorside Valley Railway"

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=9280.0

see first post for exhibition dates

GeeBee

Rule one applies, if we like it we will run it, with four lines running simultaneously the effect is very entertaining
:NGaugersRule:

Tank

Another rule 1 here, as I like to make some units have livery's that they never had.  I do try to stick to a time period of 1980-2000 though.  But I'm not THAT worried about it.  :)

Agrippa

The general feeling on this topic seems to be that many people just like running their trains
and are not bound by prototypical practices. I have a few Peco TTA tank wagons painted in
various colours, if I were to paint one pink they would look like a set of wheeled snooker balls. ( 1:147 scale. :D )
Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

kevin141

When i can and the mode takes just playing with my trains is all i want to do
kevin141 :bounce: :claphappy:
Good dinner

mr bachmann

Quote from: Agrippa on January 27, 2014, 02:45:08 PM
The general feeling on this topic seems to be that many people just like running their trains
and are not bound by prototypical practices. I have a few Peco TTA tank wagons painted in
various colours, if I were to paint one pink they would look like a set of wheeled snooker balls. ( 1:147 scale. :D )

I dare you , you show us your's and i'll show yoy my compleete train of hoppers and the loco .....

alan

weave

Quote from: Agrippa on January 27, 2014, 02:45:08 PM

The SNOOKER SHUNTING GAME.

Excellent idea! Haven't thought the rules through yet but would have to be timed (I think).

21 coloured wagons and one white loco so maybe cheap ebay Lima stuff so if it goes horribly wrong, doesn't work or you get bored (by boxing day) with it, won't be too disastrous.

:) weave

PostModN66

Quote from: Tank on January 27, 2014, 02:32:36 PM
Another rule 1 here, as I like to make some units have livery's that they never had.  I do try to stick to a time period of 1980-2000 though.  But I'm not THAT worried about it.  :)

In science fiction terms, there are many books about alternative realities - e.g. if Germany had won WW2 etc.

We could apply the same thinking to model railways, or just go for a fictitious country or world.  I can think of a couple of examples; Tanks "NSE ran everything" approach and Quintopia's fantastic EDO video.  And I believe there is a "Discworld" layout. But how about:

Privatisation never happened:   BR blue 66s, NSE liveried 350s
Beeching never happened:        Lots of modern BLTs, or specifically a present day "Great Central"
We never gave up steam:         "Modern" steam locos in EWS, DRS etc liveries pulling modern freight stock
We did HS2 years ago:             Thalys's, ICEs running though the Midlands

With any of these, it wouldn't matter that they are not prototypical, but the joy would be in the consistency of the vision.......

Cheers  Jon   :)
"We must conduct research and then accept the results. If they don't stand up to experimentation, Buddha's own words must be rejected." ― Dalai Lama XIV

My Postmodern Image Layouts

Lofthole http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14792.msg147178#msg147178

Deansmoor http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14741.msg146381#msg146381

Chris in Prague

Quote from: PostModN66 on January 27, 2014, 04:25:07 PM
Quote from: Tank on January 27, 2014, 02:32:36 PM

In science fiction terms, there are many books about alternative realities - e.g. if Germany had won WW2 etc.

We could apply the same thinking to model railways, or just go for a fictitious country or world.  I can think of a couple of examples; Tanks "NSE ran everything" approach and Quintopia's fantastic EDO video.  And I believe there is a "Discworld" layout. But how about:

Privatisation never happened:   BR blue 66s, NSE liveried 350s
Beeching never happened:        Lots of modern BLTs, or specifically a present day "Great Central"
We never gave up steam:         "Modern" steam locos in EWS, DRS etc liveries pulling modern freight stock
We did HS2 years ago:             Thalys's, ICEs running though the Midlands

With any of these, it wouldn't matter that they are not prototypical, but the joy would be in the consistency of the vision.......

Cheers  Jon   :)

I agree, for me, it's the consistency of the vision that is important; so I have a detailed, plausible back story all worked out for Penmayne and Cant Cove. If what I want to do fits that vision then it's fine by me. For others, such limitations would not be want they want for their layout and that's entirely up to them. 8-) Equally, for me, any of the above scenarios are a vision TOO far!

Guy

For the last few years I have tried to stay with BR Blue (small logo) only but have recently thought s** it, it's my railway and have now decided I'll have BR blue days and BR late crest days....the blue Pullman with yellow ends did it, the DP1, a Britannia (Dapol), the Royal Air Force Royal Scot Class (Bachmann), a B1 (Dapol), and an A1 (Bachmann) and all run well too (I haven't managed to DCC chip the A1 yet as I am currently having difficulty moving the 2 screws in the tender   :veryangry: )

Chris in Prague

I model the 1961 - 1969 period for precisely that reason: I can go from BR Late Crest steam to BR Blue diesel via BR Green diesel. I will try not to run all the period mixed up though!

ScottyStitch

I do have a Rule 1, but it does come with it's own rules. I have decided to, as far as possible, stick to the stock and motive power that was extant in Scotland in General and on the Glasgow/Aberdeen, Glasgow/Inverness Edinburgh/Perth and London/Perth & Inverness routes during my chosen time period, 1964. My signature trains will be the 3hr expresses between Glasgow and Aberdeen and eventually correctly numbered A4s and A2s will haul them. Other than that I'll try to employ correct motive power where possible.

The layout will be run to a timetable of sorts, in that the sequence of trains will reflect the 1964 timetable for Perth (without the 20 minutes wait in between trains!), although it may take some time to reach the stock levels to enact a full 24hour schedule

Where possible, the make up of rakes of coaches will be recognizable as authentic.

That said, one of my Rule 1 Sub Rules is that two years on either side is acceptable, so 47s are possible, for instance. 50s, unfortunately are not.

Class 20s are allowed as there were a number sheded at Kittybrewster for the GNoS lines. But unfortunately desirable engines, such as the Merchant Navy/BoB/etc, and the Diesel Hydraulics are not, as there can be no plausible (to my mind) reason for them being at Perth.

The Blue Pullman does make it in, by virtue of it being a Perth Races special from Manchester. Class 108 DMUs didnt run in Scotland, but I have one, and if I cant get enough 101s, then I'll end up with more of the former, my rationale being that some 101s were swapped for 108s in another reigon for trials purposes.

On the whole, I'd like it to be reasonably authentic, within the bounds of what the manufacturers offer us.

Not for me running 60s steam/green diesels with modern engines and stock on the same layout. That said I respect everyone's right to do so if they wish.

Chris in Prague

I agree Scotty: "On the whole, I'd like it to be reasonably authentic, within the bounds of what the manufacturers offer us.

Not for me running 60s steam/green diesels with modern engines and stock on the same layout. That said I respect everyone's right to do so if they wish." But, with 1961 - 1969 I CAN run different timetables with prototypical stock as I have working timetables for 1962, 1963, 1964 and can project to 1969. So, no you won't see a BR Black T9 with BR SR Green Bulleids and Mark 1s and a BR Blue diesel with Blue and Grey Mark 1s running together BUT a preserved T9 120 (if I ever get a model of her) with a rake of BR SR Green Mark 1s MIGHT! 8-)

For DMUs it is a similar problem: diesel railcars and Class 101s only until I can scratchbuild the types that DID run in North Cornwall.

PostModN66

Do you know, it just occurs to me that there are two alternative realities that must surely be allowed for everyone, on the basis that to deny it would be excessively harsh:

DP1 preserved in running order, occasionally working main line specials
Ditto a Blue Pullman

The reason I trust is obvious!!

Cheers  Jon  :)
"We must conduct research and then accept the results. If they don't stand up to experimentation, Buddha's own words must be rejected." ― Dalai Lama XIV

My Postmodern Image Layouts

Lofthole http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14792.msg147178#msg147178

Deansmoor http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14741.msg146381#msg146381

Chris in Prague

Quote from: PostModN66 on January 27, 2014, 07:08:01 PM
Do you know, it just occurs to me that there are two alternative realities that must surely be allowed for everyone, on the basis that to deny it would be excessively harsh:

DP1 preserved in running order, occasionally working main line specials
Ditto a Blue Pullman

The reason I trust is obvious!!

Cheers  Jon  :)

I certainly have no problem with that but I'd like to add the other lost diesel prototypes: D0280 / 1200 "Falcon" (I saw 1200, at Bristol), HS4000 (never went to U.S.S.R.; which I missed seeing), D0260 "Lion", at least!

Dang! I want a model of D0280 "Falcon" now!

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £35.23
Below Goal: £64.77
Site Currency: GBP
35% 
April Donations