Peco turnout motor spindles

Started by Gezzoo, March 19, 2020, 08:14:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gezzoo

Does anybody have any cutters that successfully cut the spindles of Peco turnout motors. I'm not keen to use my track cutters but are there any other cutters on the market that members know about?  Thanks

chrism

Quote from: Gezzoo on March 19, 2020, 08:14:32 PM
Does anybody have any cutters that successfully cut the spindles of Peco turnout motors. I'm not keen to use my track cutters but are there any other cutters on the market that members know about?  Thanks

Definitely don't use your track cutters, they aren't meant for anything harder than nickel silver or, maybe, mild steel.

I haven't used any Peco motors but my Seeps have extremely hard wire and the only thing I've got that will touch it is a big mandaddy pair of wirecutters - luckily, they will just about cut the wire far enough down to clear axleboxes, etc.

Another thing not to use is a cutting disk in a Dremel or the like - unless you mark the wire, remove the motor, cut the wire and refit the motor. Trying to cut it in place is a sure way to melt the tiebar end.

ntpntpntp

Don't go near them with track cutters. Proper cutter tools or the cutting part of  decent pliers will do the job.   I usually mark the rod then cut through using a mini-drill and disc **away from the point itself to avoid melting the tiebar.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Tfc49

The spindle is made of silver steel and cannot be cut with Xuron-type cutters used for track. The easiest way to cut the spindle, after having marked where the cut is to be made, is to use a triangular needle file (Swiss file) to cut a Vee in the spindle (imagine a beaver gnawing through a tree trunk) until you can snap off the surplus length easily with pliers; then smooth the cut end with a needle file to remove any burrs. It's better to remove too little and then file back to length required, rather than try to cut to the exact length at the first go.
Hope this helps,
Tfc49
Toot!Toot!
Tfc49

Newportnobby

Whatever method you decide on, please wear eye protection!!!!!

martyn

I used a pair of Knipex side cutters for this job. Xuron cutters will only end up with corrugated cutting edges....

The cutters were expensive but worth every penny when used.

Martyn

springwood

I used, very successfully, a pair of B&Q wire cutters and quickly developed a technique whereby I placed a pea-sized blob of blue-tac on the end of the rod which ensured the cut piece drops down rather than flying off randomly (and potentially dangerously!). Normally need to gently file the end of the remaining rod to tidy it up a bit.

Gezzoo

Thank you for all responses.  I knew there would be people out there who have solved the problem.  You have given me a few strategies to try.  Many thanks all..

Chris Morris

Quote from: martyn on March 19, 2020, 09:37:49 PM
I used a pair of Knipex side cutters for this job. Xuron cutters will only end up with corrugated cutting edges....

The cutters were expensive but worth every penny when used.

Martyn

The good news is that they make great wire strippers afterwards. Guess how I know?
Working doesn't seem to be the perfect thing for me so I'll continue to play.
Steve Marriott / Ronnie Lane

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations